What is this?

This is a discussion on What is this? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I was out messing around under the hood earlier. In the process, I took my SLP lid off and removed ...

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

What is this?

I was out messing around under the hood earlier. In the process, I took my SLP lid off and removed the air filter. What I found was this underneath:

My question is, is this how the car came stock, or is this the SLP cold air intake I'm looking at here? It's a metal, rectangular duct that leads up from the bottom of the car that opens in to the bottom of the airbox housing. I can't remember what the airbox looks like stock underneath.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

yeah, its the slp cold air intake. car does not come stock like that...

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix:2769853
    yeah, its the slp cold air intake. car does not come stock like that...
    Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure. Last weekend I discovered that the car already had SFC's installed by a previous owner, so this is another nice discovery.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

The CAI from SLP is a mix bag IMHO. Yes it will funnel air to the filter better however if you ever get caught in the rain DO NOT DRIVE through a puddle. Those damn things can cause more hydrolocks then anything else.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    The CAI from SLP is a mix bag IMHO. Yes it will funnel air to the filter better however if you ever get caught in the rain DO NOT DRIVE through a puddle. Those damn things can cause more hydrolocks then anything else.
    I wouldn't be on the highway in the rain for too long either.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I guess if it becomes an issue I'll either block it off or remove it. I bought the car back in January and have driven it nearly every day, and in the rain, with no issues.

Highway rain isn't a problem, and you would have to drive through something deeper than a puddle.

Guys that are having problems are going through deep water (deep enough to catch the air dam) and doing it at a speed fast enough to scoop the water up to the air intake (which is pretty damn far up in there, it only comes down the first half of the radiator) So water has to be forced up that far....

Nothing to worry about, I've run one for years through mid western thunderstorms. Shouldn't be driving such a low clearance car through water that deep anyway

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones:2769877
    Highway rain isn't a problem, and you would have to drive through something deeper than a puddle.

Guys that are having problems are going through deep water (deep enough to catch the air dam) and doing it at a speed fast enough to scoop the water up to the air intake (which is pretty damn far up in there, it only comes down the first half of the radiator) So water has to be forced up that far....

Nothing to worry about, I've run one for years through mid western thunderstorms. Shouldn't be driving such a low clearance car through water that deep anyway
    Pretty much my thinking on the matter, too, but that's just me. I make it a point not to drive through standing water as it is, so I'm not overly worried about it.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Free ram air mod done sloppy..

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro:2769938
    Free ram air mod done sloppy..
    I didn't do it!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    I didn't do it!
    Ya I figured you prolly did'nt..

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

ha! mine is sloppier than that! i cut mine out with dykes!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

I'll use Jodi as an example - she had no SLP CAI and went through a (deep) puddle like FBJ said and it cost her her engine. It happens much more then ppl think.

FBJ is right, I avoid all puddles period if I can while driving my TA out and have been caught in one of our semi-daily showers during spring through late fall here.

You should always assume it is deeper then you think. Hell my car sits about about 4" off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'll use Jodi as an example - she had no SLP CAI and went through a (deep) puddle like FBJ said and it cost her her engine. It happens much more then ppl think.

FBJ is right, I avoid all puddles period if I can while driving my TA out and have been caught in one of our semi-daily showers during spring through late fall here.

You should always assume it is deeper then you think. Hell my car sits about about 4" off the ground.
    Yep, you don't need a cold air intake to do it. Any decent amount of speed and that front air dam acts like a shovel and scoops the water right up to the air intake. Just a poor design all around. If you really want to go through deep water in one of these (and it doesn't have to be very deep to reach that air dam) it's best to slowly idle through, or turn the car around and back through it.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Oh, I know. I've been driving long enough to have that one figured out by now. Water and F-bodies aren't a good mix to begin with. A little common sense goes a long way.

Thread Information