weird vibration when the t/a is warming up

This is a discussion on weird vibration when the t/a is warming up within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok guys ive been dealing with this problem for some time now and i cant figure out what it is ...

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

weird vibration when the t/a is warming up

ok guys ive been dealing with this problem for some time now and i cant figure out what it is, my car makes this weird stumble/vibration whenever its warming up. you can't feel it in the seat of your pants really its more in the pedals, the brake and gas, not the clutch. also its not regular, like with the rumble/vibration of the exhuast, its kinda offset. it feels like somthing internal that expands when it warms up or something because it goes away at operating temp. i have checked everything on the exhaust, ima be getting some insurance money and im thinking of forking out the $ for an ls6 instead of beefing up this ls1 just because i cant figure out what this is. car is 01 ws6, m6 with 80k, thanks for any help or ideas.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    ok guys ive been dealing with this problem for some time now and i cant figure out what it is, my car makes this weird stumble/vibration whenever its warming up. you can't feel it in the seat of your pants really its more in the pedals, the brake and gas, not the clutch. also its not regular, like with the rumble/vibration of the exhuast, its kinda offset. it feels like somthing internal that expands when it warms up or something because it goes away at operating temp. i have checked everything on the exhaust, ima be getting some insurance money and im thinking of forking out the $ for an ls6 instead of beefing up this ls1 just because i cant figure out what this is. car is 01 ws6, m6 with 80k, thanks for any help or ideas.
    i'm not really sure... hard to tell on that one... possible broken motor mounts... this is a very odd one...

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

be honest, has the car been drivin hard?? any high rpm launches/ clutch drops???

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

yeah it had two previous owners and i don't have the lightest foot

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

like SPAZ said, could be broken Motor Mounts or Trans Mount, or Torque Arm Mount... an number of things to inspect, but i would do some EXTENSIVE research before replacing the engine... LS6's are great, but you may be able to get more for your money SPAZ is on engine 5 I believe... and Mr Luos also is very knowledgeable in this area, shoot a pm and ask them to post in your thread.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

i dont know if this has anything to do with it but when its hot outside 90*+ the car squeeks/whines when going over bumps or at any angle other than perfectly level. the sound comes from the front and rear so i was thinking torque arm. i work graveyard shift so i havnt driven in the heat till the other day to notice this.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

torque arms are a weak link, i've destroyed several stock arms... if its your culprit, replace with a tunnel mount if funds allow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

does it do it on warm starts also? If the cars warm already does it do it? Your description opens the doors to a lot of possibilities. What mods do you have? How long since a tune up?

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

it will do it even if its warm outside but only till it hits operating temp., if i turn it off after it has been running and then start it up it wont do it as long as i didnt let the car cool down to much. the cars pretty much stock, it has a slp intake, and a p/p throttle body but it had this problem before the tb got done, i also had a diablo tune on it but i took that off awhile ago(it rumbled just the same with it on), I have changed the fuel filter twice, ran seafoam thru; the vacuum line, tb, and oil, changed the air filter. i havnt done plugs and wires, could that cause this? thanks

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

OH YEAH!!, im so stupid, i forgot one of the maine other things it does, everytime the engine shuts off it makes a very apparent rumble wright as it shuts down. Its the same rumble it makes randomly while warming up but a little more apparent and probably a little rougher.
    Last edited by ggino85; 07-21-2008 at 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling

arctic white
    97 firebird

i had that problem with my firebird a while back and found out it was rattling from the bolt on exhaust. it made noise every time i warmed it up but when i gave it gas it went away till i let off of it. if your exhaust is bolt on it might not be on correct after i saw that i just baught a brand new exhaust and got it welded.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

the exhaust is the stock exhaust so i think its welded, and you just reminded me, i took it to the dealership about 3 months ago and had one of the mechanics check underneath for anything loose, he couldnt find A THING : (. The guy was nice enough to even take me in the shop and go thru stuff underneath to show me nothing was loose. thanks for the idea though.

arctic white
    97 firebird

the exhaust is the stock exhaust so i think its welded, and you just reminded me, i took it to the dealership about 3 months ago and had one of the mechanics check underneath for anything loose, he couldnt find A THING : (. The guy was nice enough to even take me in the shop and go thru stuff underneath to show me nothing was loose. thanks for the idea though.
    damn i am not sure then no problem and good luck finding what it is

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's really hard for me to come up with much on this one without being there. Does it sound engine related or chassis related? In other words is the engine itself making the noise or could it be a vibration from somewhere else? I would recommend getting out and try to narrow down where exactly it's coming from. If it does it more when the car is shut off have someone turn the car off while you're underneath it and see if you can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. It could be a mount or exhaust and it could be a miss or something like that.

I thought since it did it on cold starts it was related to your air pump but if it's doing it when you shut the car off I highly doubt it's the air pump. You could try to pull the air pump relay in the fuse box under the hood and see if it clears up. The more I re-read everything though the more I wonder if it isn't chassis related. Like something vibrating against something.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

i have the day off today so i will get under there and see, wat part of the chassis should i be payin attention to more than the other? i dont know s**t about this kinda stuff. a chassis related problem would be like?????

and i noticed yesterday that it doesnt rumble everytime it shuts off, only somtimes. I went out yesterday and ran the car pretty hard, shifting at 5600-5700k maybe a little higher did this a couple times just to give the engine an excuse to go, if its gonna.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

UPDATE: so i've figured out its not anything you can hear, i was under the car, popped the hood and listened, i didnt hear anything, engine sounded good (except for good ol piston slap), BUT if your in the car and you lightly rest your foot on the brake or gas pedal you can definitely feel an abnormal vibration/rumble.

Thread Information