Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Weird sounds

This is a discussion on Weird sounds within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 My tire is not rubbing on anything, neither is the caliper or bracket. If it was ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    My tire is not rubbing on anything, neither is the caliper or bracket. If it was really my brakes wouldn't I hear it while braking? It sounds like it is coming from the front but I don't always hear it for some reason. I haven't heard it in a while. I don't know if this is related but occasionally, when I turn I get a sqeak or whine. That whistling sound, is there no way to get rid of it, well that's annoying. Why is it only at part throttle?
    Check your airbox. Make sure it's seated right That can also cause a whistle effect too at low rpm

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I think I do. It explains this annoying squeak I have. I've already replaced the a/c and belt tensioners and that fixed the loud one. But ever since I fixed/rebuilt my PS pump it's been making the low squeal that seems like only I can hear it.

From what I read on the 99< they changed the bracket on the alternator and gave it a 2mm shift. When the 98's get the the new serpentine belts it now rubs and cause the minor squeal noise because of the 2mm shift in alinement.

It's funny how year one cars have some issues while later years either have none or more then the year one model. I'd take this one over the sail panel issue every time.
    Cant you use the PS pulley puller and pull the pulley back 2mm?

Navy Blue Metallic

It's something with the alternator bracket. I think it's a PITA to try to get it right with a 2mm difference,if you go past it you still have the noise and also it could spin it off because it is not seated completely. The new bracket is about $35, so it's not an expensive fix.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

It's something with the alternator bracket. I think it's a PITA to try to get it right with a 2mm difference,if you go past it you still have the noise and also it could spin it off because it is not seated completely. The new bracket is about $35, so it's not an expensive fix.
    I see. well i havent had that issue so far.

Navy Blue Metallic

when you want the part numbers let me know I have them saved

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

when you want the part numbers let me know I have them saved
    ok thanks. it will be even nicer of you if you send me the parts too.

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

"Gator Back" Belts

Have any of you guys tried GOOD YEAR "gator back" belts? They are very quiet and take up for some minor alignment issues. We use them on C5 corvettes that don't want to quiet down. They work great! Might want to give them a try.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by vette&ws6 View Post
    Have any of you guys tried GOOD YEAR "gator back" belts? They are very quiet and take up for some minor alignment issues. We use them on C5 corvettes that don't want to quiet down. They work great! Might want to give them a try.
    Thanks. I looked around here for these and the auto parts dont carry them. Do you happen to know the part number?

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

I'm sorry but I don't know the part number for these belts. You should be able to find them somewhere on the internet though. The part numbers for your car would be different than the C5.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Got one more for you. If you want the parts numbers I got em let me know

BULLETIN NUMBER:
    00-06-01-008 SECTION:
    06 - Engine/Propulsion System DATE:
    March 2000 TECHNICAL
    SUBJECT:
    Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt) MODELS:
    1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
    1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
    Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1) CONDITION
    Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds. CAUSE
    The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise. CORRECTION
    To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN breakpoint, instal the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.
    If this is my problem, why would it start now after an intake install? If you would give me part numbers that would be awesome. Also for anyone who is wondering, summitracing carries the "Gator Back" Belts, and here is the part numbers: GTR-4060790, GTR-4060945, GTR-4040410. They are different lengths so I am not sure which is for what since I don't know the measurement for the accessory drive belt.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-20-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic

Does your Vin Number fall before the break point in the above TSB?

Not sure it doesn't really state a reason for when it happens.

Also are we talking about the chirping/squealing sound or something else. I've gone back over the thread again. So I'm kinda lost now on what which problem you are looking for help on.

Black/ Silver

Does your Vin Number fall before the break point in the above TSB?

Not sure it doesn't really state a reason for when it happens.

Also are we talking about the chirping/squealing sound or something else. I've gone back over the thread again. So I'm kinda lost now on what which problem you are looking for help on.
    It is before the break point. And I am looking at solving the weird noise when my wheels are moving, I can't describe it, the video I took was the sound that I am talking about (although it seems that it is hard to hear). I just don't want to spend money on new pulleys & brackets or other things if it's not the problem. I will probably try and take another video.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-20-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm like the others I can't hear it in that video.

Black/ Silver

I'm like the others I can't hear it in that video.
    Until I can get a better video, the best I can describe it is like a card in a bike wheel but higher pitched and more of a scratch like sound. It has the repetition like the card in the wheel sound. It doesn't happen at idle at all only wheen the wheels are moving, if I am not pessing on the brakes at all when it makes the sound it shouldn't be the brakes right? It definitely comes from what it sounds like the front drivers area.

Navy Blue Metallic

How fast are you going? is it a speed that someone can walk along?

another way may be to put it on a lift and spin the wheels.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Until I can get a better video, the best I can describe it is like a card in a bike wheel but higher pitched and more of a scratch like sound. It has the repetition like the card in the wheel sound. It doesn't happen at idle at all only wheen the wheels are moving, if I am not pessing on the brakes at all when it makes the sound it shouldn't be the brakes right? It definitely comes from what it sounds like the front drivers area.
    It sounds like the noise may be a rust ridge on the rotors or run out in the rotors.

If its a rust ridge clean them up with a flapper wheel on your grinder,if its run out from warping replace them.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Black/ Silver

How fast are you going? is it a speed that someone can walk along?

another way may be to put it on a lift and spin the wheels.
    It seems between idle speed to 40 or 50mph.

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    It sounds like the noise may be a rust ridge on the rotors or run out in the rotors.

If its a rust ridge clean them up with a flapper wheel on your grinder,if its run out from warping replace them.
    Well I'll check that out, if that ends up being the issue, I have a cts-v brake swap I have the parts for, so I'll do it then.

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

Did you raise the front wheels off the ground and check to make sure the front bearings are tight. I know I stated this in an earlier post, the description still sounds like it's going to end up being brake/bearing related. Walk next to the vehicle while you have someone else drive it and see if you can hear the noise.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

did you upgrade to slot/drilled rotors?

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    did you upgrade to slot/drilled rotors?
    Yes about 2 years ago is when I first upgraded but they didn't start making this noise until after the intake swap .

Quote Originally Posted by vette&ws6 View Post
    Did you raise the front wheels off the ground and check to make sure the front bearings are tight. I know I stated this in an earlier post, the description still sounds like it's going to end up being brake/bearing related. Walk next to the vehicle while you have someone else drive it and see if you can hear the noise.
    Could a bent stud cause what I am describing? I took my car in to get a vacuum leak fixed and apparently one of the studs got bent somehow I thought it got fixed though. I'll check that tomorrow, I believe it is in the rear though.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-20-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information