Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Weird smell when I park the TA in the garage

This is a discussion on Weird smell when I park the TA in the garage within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; im getting the dye this week. Thanks for all the suggestions....

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

im getting the dye this week. Thanks for all the suggestions.

silver
    2002 Z28 Convertible 4A

Looked under sticky,could you provide a link for the alternator upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    just to add that I replaced both O2 sensors with bosch 13111's. The OEM ones were 115k and I wasn't proud of myself for that. Im sure Scott will be happy lol. I also upgrade my alternator to the AD244 (new) and had seen an improvement with my voltage at idle and with full load. Thanks to Sjsingle for the sticky.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

update - I finally got a chance to rent the pressure tester. I pressurized the system to 18 psi. I found 2 leaks coming from loose hose clamps. I tighten them down and recheck. They stopped leaking. I pressurize the system again and i'm loosing 1 psi every 2 mins. I'm not sure if it is the tester or a small leak. I checked the oil and transmission fluid and there is no mix or bubbles. I got some dye that i'm going to add this week and see if it leaks somewhere. I checked the block plugs and no leaks there.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Possible defective cap?

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

the cap is brand new from GM, it could be a bad cap from the tester but not sure. The tester looks like it is brand new it even had the bubble wrap still in it.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Drive the car for a few days then recheck. If you still have coolant, then the tester is defective.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yup thats the plan. I update after a week.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well it was down some yesterday. I added the UV dye and later found out is not compatible with dexcool. It kinda pisses me off because the bottle is not marked "not for dexcool". The parts store didn't knew crap either. I added 1 oz and i'm concern of the effects of it at the long run. I can see it turns the coolant bright green. I guess I will have to do a full flush to get it all out after I hopefully can see the leak. I hope the UV light makes change to bright green since it is not compatible for dexcool.

Anyone have any experience with these dyes and if it will cause any damage if left in the system if it is not compatible?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have never heard nor seen a dye that wasn't compatible with dexcool. I doubt the dye will cause any issue if left in the system. Do you have a UV light? If you do, maybe you can improvise with the dexcool turning green and use the color to find any leaks. Now I'm starting to wonder if you possibly have a pinhole in one of your hoses.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I hope the dye doesn't cause any damage. I do have a small UV pen light. I'm not sure about the pin hole but I would think it had leaked when I pressure tested the system. i did found some hose clamps that were leaking but I tighten them down and the leak stopped. Now I didn't pressure test it after I found it was leaking again. Im going to get me one of these testers soon since it seems I need to have once available. I replaced all the main radiator hoses when I did my flush last year. I was the one that replaced the heaters hoses with a regular hoses and it worked fine. If i find another leak by the heater hoses I will order the whole assembly. Is not worth for me to keep chasing leaks. But again I don't know. I will see tomorrow if the dye does its job.

Its funny that the dye company apparently changed names and they started to do a whole line of dyes for dexcool only. The bottles prior to this don't have any warning. It doesn't make any sense to me that it will cause any damage specially when I added 1 oz of dye.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-14-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Just keep an eye on the level of coolant until you get the necessary equipment. Ummm..."regular" hoses? Now you got me wondering if the hoses are "sweating" and the coolant is seeping through the hoses and burning off when the hoses get hot?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Just keep an eye on the level of coolant until you get the necessary equipment. Ummm..."regular" hoses? Now you got me wondering if the hoses are "sweating" and the coolant is seeping through the hoses and burning off when the hoses get hot?
    it could happen but I don't see any trace. I mean by regular hoses: cooling system hose. I did the swap last year so they are about one year old. It has work like a champ and saved me money. It could be the hoses are old. I was concern with the head gasket but I just don't see any milky residue in the oil dipstick or transmission dipstick. I guess i will take it for a long drive tomorrow and check with UV light. The othher thing I can think off is th radiator leaking when is hot and it so small that evaporates. I just want to find this damm leak lol.

I have some light vibration when I accelerate but i'm not sure if it is on the back or front. That's another story to trace later. I guess things are just going down hill for the TA

I have to do shocks and im holding off until I fix this 1st.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could have a pinhole in the radiator, or a split somewhere. Remember, heat, expansion and vibration CAN crack a radiator. That possibility still remains in my mind.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yes i have to agree it could be the radiator. I just don't know how I'm going to see the leak if it is on the top or bottom of it besides removing it.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could be a seam on the top, in which you should see some residue. You should see some wetness where the leak is if it's on the side. If it's on the bottom, try spraying the bottom of the core support with compressed air, if you have it, and see if anything leaks out the bottom of the car.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I will keep an eye. It's been leaking for like 2 months now. you will think i would notice something. I will update tomorrow. Thanks CG.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You should see something.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Ok so I checked this morning and the level was low abit. I checked everywhere behind the engine(with a mirror), the front area, underneath and no trace of leak with dye. Checked the radiator areas and nothing. I checked the oil and transmission dipsticks and no milky residue. I pulled out the reservoir and it doesn't have any cracks or bad hose. I pulled the tube that goes inside the reservoir and it is in good condition and it is not clogged. I did noticed the resevoir was overfilled abit. I put everything back and added the correct level of coolant to the reservoir. I then added some leftover to the radiator. I have about 3-4 cups of antifreeze left(that came from the reservoir) in a bucket in my garage. I'm going to GM to get a brand new OEM tstat to try this out. This is becoming a mystery...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Have you check your passenger floor board for any wetness?

(Possible heater core leak)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information