Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Weird relay issue

Hey everyone. First post on here. Looks like a great place for help. I've done some searches but haven't come up with anything yet.

Here's the deal . I just bought a 2000 WS6 and have been having a ball with it. There a few quirks that I'm trying to line out. First is my fog lights and horn. I traced my horn to being a bad relay. I replaced it and now it is working but now it works intermittently as do the fog lights. When I tap on the fog light relay they will come on and usually stay on but the next time I go to use them they don't work and have to do the tap tap thing. Same with the horn as well. The relays are right next to one another . I was thinking maybe a ground issue but everything else is working "ok" from the fuse box so was wondering if anyone knows if there is a a separate ground for these two relays ? And how do you access the bottom of the fuse box? Is there a clip holding it on? I can do all this myself just thought I would see if there was anyone out there that has had this problem. Oh and another thing, This car sat under a car port with lots of swirling dirt. I've been blowing dirt out of this thing for two weeks now. It is also in the AC ducts! Just when I think I have most of it gone I'll get some more. I'm sure I'll get it all eventually just annoying and thinking I've probably got some connection issues because of it. Thanks for any and all help!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

I agree - it certainly sounds like a connection issue. First thing to do is pull the relays and using a flashlight carefully inspect the receptacle. Look for any signs of corrosion or arcing. If the contacts in the receptacle are corroded, you can use some emory cloth folded in half to gently clean it away. If you see evidence of arcing, the connectors could simply be loose and a slight pinch may be necessary to tighten them up. As far as access to the bottom, I am not sure without looking in the service manual. One thing I'll say is that it is unlikely you'll gain much access as they certainly did not install any more wiring than they had to at the factory. You can construct a jumper out of a short piece of wire and two male crimp style electrical connectors. Plug this in to jump the horn or lights on and then wiggle stuff around to see if it goes on and off. There are a couple of grounds in the engine bay and it wouldn't hurt to track them down and ensure that they are not broken and have a good connection to the body.

Black

Thanks for that info! The receptacle looks fine. No signs of arcing or corrosion. I went ahead and cleaned up the fuse box with contact cleaner but still have intermittent problems. I can push the horn from the steering wheel and hear the relay clicking like it's supposed to but the horn only honks every other push or so. I'm sure it's a bad connection or wire somewhere with that. Also I'm thinking I may have a combination issue with the switch and contact with the fog lights. It may be two entirely different problems but it sure did seem suspicious that both relays being banked right next to each other having intermittent problems....I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would still jumper the connections between the hot terminal and horn terminal and then wiggle things around. Try the same for the lights and that may help you track it down.

Black

Will do man thanks!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you need a schematic or anything, let me know.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Most of the relays have power going to them. When you hit the switch it grounds the relay. If you hear the relay then it sounds like power is not getting to the horn/fog lights.

Black

Yeah the relay is clicking when activating the horn but nothing when activating the fog lamp switch. I haven't had a whole lot of time to look further into it but have received my service manual. It looks to be in the switch on the fog lamps and possibly a bad connection somewhere from the fuse box to the horn. Going to jumper the across the relay socket to the horn and see if it's somewhere in the box but highly doubt it. Probably a wire/corrosion issue to the horn somewhere. It's just coincidental I guess that the horn and fog light relays are right next to each other with unrelated issues.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Welcome to the site!! Congrats on owning 1 of the most fun cars (in my opinion) every made. You can also purchase some "electrical contact cleaner" from almost any auto parts store or radio shack. It's an alcohol based spray that will clean up all the dirt and dust from the terminals. This can be sprayed directly into the terminals where the relay plugs in. Under the hood are several ground straps also. You can see 1 just above the battery on the fender well, and the other on the drivers side fender well. Make sure they are tight and clean of corrosion.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

The fuse box under the hood is pretty easy to pull up. There are 2 tabs on the side of it holding it in place. Take a skinny flat head screwdriver and push in the tab, then use a little force to pull it straight up. It will only give you minimum access, but at least you will have access.

Thread Information