Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Weird Hesitation/Stutter

This is a discussion on Weird Hesitation/Stutter within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Cutlass cleaning the MAF didn't fix it? Have you checked the fuel pressure? Low fuel pressure can ...

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    cleaning the MAF didn't fix it? Have you checked the fuel pressure? Low fuel pressure can cause lean codes
    Sorry guys, been busy as hell. I've got the MAF cleaner and a new fuel filter. I have some time tomorrow, so I'll get to that.

I was thinking the other day that it was always happening around the same speed. Around 112 mph. I got to thinking that perhaps there is a governor or speed limiter. Through a search on here, I've found out that some Z28s that didn't come with z-rated tires had a governor of 115 mph. Can anyone confirm this? As far as deleting it from the PCM, I'm assuming that a tune could take care of that. And while it's in for a tune, I could have them look at the lean code being thrown. I'm gonna email Frost.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    Sorry guys, been busy as hell. I've got the MAF cleaner and a new fuel filter. I have some time tomorrow, so I'll get to that.

I was thinking the other day that it was always happening around the same speed. Around 112 mph. I got to thinking that perhaps there is a governor or speed limiter. Through a search on here, I've found out that some Z28s that didn't come with z-rated tires had a governor of 115 mph. Can anyone confirm this? As far as deleting it from the PCM, I'm assuming that a tune could take care of that. And while it's in for a tune, I could have them look at the lean code being thrown. I'm gonna email Frost.
    If I'm remembering correctly, certain F-bodies were limited to 112MPH. But I don't believe it was the Manual equipped models, I think it was certain automatics with the lower performance tires.

Black
    '98 Z28

Changed out the fuel filter, cleaned the MAF (which was descreened by previous owner), and changed air filter to paper (from oiled). The throttle body was dirty with oil residue. Cleaned that the best I could with throttle body cleaner. The MAF looked pretty clean, but sprayed it down anyway. The air filter was dirty as hell. I didn't take the throttle body off because I didn't have anything to cap off the coolant lines. I'd like to sand/polish up the outside someday, so I'll save the major cleaning to some other day.

Every now and then when idling, it seems to stutter and then surge, but this is about once every two to three weeks. Knowing how gunked up the throttle body was, I'd imagine the intake is just as bad. Any easy way to clean that up? The car runs great and has zero valvetrain noise, which is amazing for a ls1. My last TA sounded like a diesel.

I'm still pretty sure my "problem" is the stock speed limiter. I was watching the speedometer last time and it wouldn't go over 112 mph. It would hit 112, engine would cut out, then back on and would accelerate to 112 again.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post

I'm still pretty sure my "problem" is the stock speed limiter. I was watching the speedometer last time and it wouldn't go over 112 mph. It would hit 112, engine would cut out, then back on and would accelerate to 112 again.
    Sure as hell sounds like a speed limiter to me.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 (SS kit)

mine had this...hypercrap took care of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information