Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2000 Z28

Weird Electrical Problem...need Help.

Electrical experts, this one's for you... I have a 2000 Z28 and just recently it started doing something weird; I must point out that all electrical equipment works just fine. A couple of instances this happens are as follow:

Sometimes while driving, the stereo turns off on its own and at the same time, both windows will not lower or raise. If I wait about 2-3 minutes, the stereo will come back on and I can then lower or raise the windows.

Another time this happens is when I stop the car, turn of the engine but turn on my ACC to listen to the stereo while pumping gas for example; as soon as I open the door, the stereo will turn off and the windows won't work; sometimes I can open the door, close it and everything will keep working fine but as soon as I open the door again, the stereo and windows won't work.

I don't have a clue what this could be; its not a fuse obviously, maybe a relay? Thanks for your help in advance!
    Camaro Z28/SS...40+ years of mustang humiliation.
    View my garage: http://www.fquick.com/Y2KBlackZ28

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like maybe a bad ground or short somewhere. Where you ask?? I have no idea.

Black
    2000 Z28

Exactly!...where!...if it is a short...

navy blue matallic
    2000 WS6 trans am M6

could be the ignition switch going out...had it happen on my other car

Black
    2000 Z28

You think so?...I don't know....how would the ignition switch cause a power block to the stereo and windows?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Well I am not positive BUT the ign switch does control power to radio/windows etc. when the car isnt started and you turn the key slightly.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, I know it controls the power for ign and acc. The weird thing is that it only happens every once in a while while driving but almost all the time if I park, put it on acc then open the door...the stereo turns off then the windows won't work...but then once I start and wait about 2 minutes, it works again...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

That is weird- I thought my radio was fked up because it would turn itself up. Come to find out it does that if there is road noise. LOL

black
    2002 WS6

I would say its your ingnition switch, the contaccts may not be fully catching, that would explain the intermitant problems and the loss of the acessories. Esspecially, then shutting off when you put the key in the ACC position. THe computer isn't catching the key position so when you open the door your still on the prigramed courtisy power that is on after yu shut the car off.

Black
    2000 Z28

Interesting... Any idea how much a new ign switch will run me? And is it easy to install? Thanks.

black
    2002 WS6

I really dont know how much or how hard, I haven't even seem one off a F-body yet. But if theya re like the earlier ones the actual switch might be at the bottom of the columb under the dash and is operated bya rod and cam set from the key switch.

pewter gray
    1999 Cheverolet Z28

Probably is the body control module. Roofer

Black
    2000 Z28

Roofer,
    The body control module? Where is that at and how would that cause the problem?

Thanks in advance.

black
    2002 WS6

The body controle module or BCM is what the ECM has evolved to, nearl;y every thing now runs through the BCM. If it wer that there would be other problems and its expensive to replace, I would start with the simple stuff first like the ignition switch and any connectors first before going that route.

Black
    2000 Z28

Thanks Orcus79. I've heard the ignition switch a few times...although, I'm confused as to how it would do that intermittently since my car has no problem starting at all. I don't think its a connection issue because I'm guessing that if I hit bumps, it would cut off but never. I can be on the smoothest road and all the sudden it will happen.

Black
    1999 Z28

I'm having the same problem, sort of.

I'll start my car and the windows and stereo will work for literally a second and then they have no power. I found that if I roll down the window in that second time period that they have power, everything will work fine for a few days.

My security light is also staying on intermittently now too.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Same problem here. Whats also got me baffled about it, is that when it does it at night when the dash lights are on...just the sound and channel display on the radio goes out (along with the windows), the buttons and stuff stay lit up....drives me crazy!! No problem with the security light though.
    Last edited by IronBird; 09-21-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: more info

Black
    1999 Z28

Well sweet, we all have the same problem. Somebody swap out their ignition switch and let us know if it solves the problem. We won't pay you for your trouble but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you helped.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, I'm going to order the ign switch and try it out. $12 won't kill me but I do have to say...now that the temperatures are dropping, 2 days have gone without my stereo or windows acting up....hmm...BUT, it can't be that...has to be something else so I'll start with the ign switch then move on..I'll report the outcome.

Red
    2000 Z28

I think it has something to do with the RAP system. That is the system that allows the radio and windows to continue to work after you turn the car off until you open the door. I think there is a RAP relay. Maybe it's going out. Just a thought, since the things affected just so happen to be the same things tied into the RAP circuit.

Thread Information