Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Weird Electrical Problem...need Help.

This is a discussion on Weird Electrical Problem...need Help. within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; That's a new one.....so where is this RAP relay located?...

Black
    2000 Z28

That's a new one.....so where is this RAP relay located?

Black
    2000 Z28

I just found this post on LS1TECH by WhiteBird00:

"The RAP system is entirely controlled by the body control module (BCM) which is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted under the dash on the right side behind the glovebox. It has three connectors - 6-pin green, 6-pin black, and 32-pin blue.

The most common problems with the RAP system are not caused by the BCM but by the door switches. One or both of the door switches might not be operating correctly causing the BCM to see the door as either always open (RAP won't function) or always closed (RAP won't shut off). You can test this with a test light or multimeter. Unplug the blue connector and test for ground on the gray with black wire only when driver's door is open. Also test for ground on the black with white wire only when the passenger's door is open (there are several black with white wires in that connector - you want the one next to the gray with black wire you just tested).

If either one shows ground with the door closed or no ground with it open then the door switch is the problem. The door switches are mounted to the door latch assembly rather than being a separate pin switch like in older cars. Sometimes a little adjustment is all that's needed (a slight amount of adjustment is available by loosening the latch bolts). Sometimes they need cleaning to get rid of grime that might prevent proper operation (a good shot of spray contact cleaner should do it). Otherwise, the switch should be replaced."

- So, I think I'll give this a try first before buying the ing switch.

black
    2002 WS6

That would be a good start. And possible the more likly cause.

Black
    98 Trans Am

That makes a lot of sense....especially dirty contacts on the door switches. Good info man!

White
    2000 WS6

Did anyone ever get to the root of this problem? I am having the EXACT same problem.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by v8unleashed View Post
    Did anyone ever get to the root of this problem? I am having the EXACT same problem.

Black
    2000 Z28

Stereo and window power problem

I'm back and I apologyze for my delay. Today I placed my order for the ignition switch so I should get it next week. As soon as I install it and test it, I'll let you all know the results.

If any of you want to order it, here is a link from where I got it:

http://www2.partstrain.com/store/ind...ition%20switch

GMPartsDirect also has it but since they don't answer their phones then I couldn't get specifics about the part. I paid $2 more through the other place which is ok.

Black
    2000 Z28

The Switch

Got the switch in today. I'll install it soon and update the results on here as soon as I see an obvious sign that this fixed the problem.

Black
    00 WS6

I paid close to $200 to have a new ignition switch installed in my 93 T/A.

Black
    2000 Z28

Tried to install the switch this weekend but quickly found out that this task will take some digging and help. Can't do it from under the dash since the switch sits on top of the steering colum so I figured that maybe if I took out my intrument cluster I could access it from there...WRONG! That didn't work, behind the cluster is a plastic wall which is all part of the 1 piece dash!
    So with that said, if anyone out there has access to install documents or software that guides you through this install, please let me know if you can help.
    I'm going to attempt to do this next Saturday by attempting to remove the dash.
    Thanks in advance.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

I've had this same problem for some time now and decided to tackle it last weekend. I had read some things about it possibly being the BCM and noticed that if I hit around the glove compartment area, that the problem would go away for a short time. So, I decided to start with the BCM this weekend and debug that. After wrestling to get it out, I popped the board out, flipped it over and found a bad solder joint. That area had a hairline crack around the post for one of the relays. A little solder and 10 minutes later, the problem was fixed.

I hope this helps.

Black
    2000 Z28

Hey unibrow,
    Thanks for the reply! I guess I can try that too. How hard was it to get the BCM out? How did you get it out? Thanks in advance!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

But he said it happens when he has the key in "accessory" mode. The RAP should not affect the accessory mode with the key switch, or when driving.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, the problem happens in either ACC mode or full on running mode so now what Unibrow has mentioned is starting to sound like I may have the same issue. I just need to know how to get to the BCM.

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by unibrow View Post
    I've had this same problem for some time now and decided to tackle it last weekend. I had read some things about it possibly being the BCM and noticed that if I hit around the glove compartment area, that the problem would go away for a short time. So, I decided to start with the BCM this weekend and debug that. After wrestling to get it out, I popped the board out, flipped it over and found a bad solder joint. That area had a hairline crack around the post for one of the relays. A little solder and 10 minutes later, the problem was fixed.

I hope this helps.
    Lol...funny you should say this...I noticed quite by accident myself that if I hit around the same area, I got the same results! So when I hear more info on how difficult a job it is to remove it (the soldering part is easy), I'm gonna' be doing the same, as mine is progressivly getting worse...and is driving the wife nuts! Good one 'brow!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

Well, removing the BCM is not too difficult but it's the lack of room that makes it a slight challenge.

Under the glove compartment, there is a panel that has 2 plastic pins that you just pull pull out with a pair of pliers - just be careful as you'll need them to put the panel back on. There is also a clip near the firewall (at the back of the panel) but I found that I had enough room after removing the pins and letting the panel just hang.

Once the pins are removed, the BCM is on the side closest to the passenger door and you should see several connectors plugging into the bottom of it. The service manual suggested pulling the BCM out before removing the connectors, and as I later found out, the connectors have clips on both sides to keep the connectors from falling off. Definitely easier to pull off afterwards since you can't get to the backside of the connectors.

(At this point, I decided to turn the radio on and manipulate the connectors on the BCM, thereby flexing the BCM circuit board a little and noticed that the radio went in and out. That confirmed I was on the right track.)

The BCM is clipped into a plastic bracket. You will have to unclip the BCM and push it forward (towards the front of the car) then slide it down and out. The "clips" are just wrapped around the BCM and snap over it - they are part of the bracket and wrap around the BCM. So, what I did is cram your hand up and feel the clips (one on either side of BCM), and just pop them off while trying to push the BCM forward so they don't re-clip back into the bracket. You won't have a lot of room, but it's possible. Then when it's free of the bracket, try and pull it down and out - there are no connectors on the top of the BCM, just the bottom.

Once the BCM is out, use a small screwdriver and remove the clips from the 3 connectors. There should be 2 - 6 pin connectors towards the passenger side of the BCM and a larger connector on the drivers side of the BCM. The clips are on both sides of each connector. Once those are removed, you can remove the connectors and then the BCM is free. The BCM is just encased in a plastic box that is snapped shut. You can open the box and remove the board to inspect it.

On my board, I found that the relay closest to the passenger side had the bad solder joint (via magnifying glass). So, if you are looking at the bottom of the board with the connectors facing up (this should place the 2 - 6 pin connectors at top right), the bottom solder joint of the relay closest to the 2 - 6pin connectors, was my problem. The solder joints for that relay, I believe, were also the largest on the board. I touched both up to be safe and put back in the plastic covering.

Putting the BCM back in was a lot easier than taking out, just reverse the process.... connectors, connector clips, then slide back up and snap in bracket. Lift the panel back up and replace the plastic pins.

It's been 4 days now and haven't experienced the problem anymore. It's working perfectly now.

Let me know if you need more info.

Black
    2000 Z28

Well, I've done some extensive research on this and found a site that described the job of removing the BCM not much of a difficult task. Basically, take out the passenger side kick panel, the panel under the glove box and finally the glove box. The BCM is right there, you just have to take if off which apparently if just fits into a bracket or pocket of some kind, unplug the 2 harnesses and you're good to go.
    I'm going to try it this weekend!

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

I replied to this thread with what I did step by step but I guess a moderator needs to review it first or something before it posts. Hopefully that'll happen soon.

Black
    2000 Z28

That's weird but thanks in advance! Could you send me the same via private message? maybe that will get to me faster.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro Z28

They must have reviewed it... look at #36.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information