Thread: Weird Clicking

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Thumbs down Weird Clicking

I have had a rough week, a few days ago my tranny went out and sent me back $2600. When I picked my car up from the shop today I noticed a weird noise that was'nt there when I dropped it off. It sounds like a card in a bicycle tire,the sound is coming from my rear end, it ticks faster when I go faster then it ticks slower as I slow down, even with my foot on the brake it does'nt change the "clicking" noise. I hope this auto shop is'nt jacking with me, I find it kinda funny all of the sudden this happens for the first time when I pick it up. If anyone could give me an idea that would be great, I think i'm gonna go drink a beer now i'm stressed. - Jason

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Could be a slightly stuck on PB. Maybe a bent brake sheild rubbing on the rotor. Maybe some chrome peeling from the rim rubbing on the caliper. Maybe something like a plastic bag wraped around the driveshaft. Or loose ujoint straps?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it could be a lot of things. The best thing to do is take it back to the place that worked on it and have them run it on a lift and pin point the noise. You can do it on jackstands yourself but if you do be very careful. I'm guessing it's u-joint related since they had the drive shaft out of the car to pull the tranny.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it could be a lot of things. The best thing to do is take it back to the place that worked on it and have them run it on a lift and pin point the noise. You can do it on jackstands yourself but if you do be very careful. I'm guessing it's u-joint related since they had the drive shaft out of the car to pull the tranny.
    Yeah, i'll definatly take it back to the shop that did the tranny work on monday, but do you think it would hurt anything if I still drove it around a little this week-end? Might be a dumb question as well, but if it was my u-joint it would'nt hurt my gears any right? cause I just replaced those a year ago and it was spendy. - thanks
    Last edited by 1 RedHot TransAm; 06-13-2009 at 08:51 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If its the driveshaft then definitely don't drive it. It won't mess up the gears but it could mess up the driveshaft, pinion yoke, or the body if it comes off and starts flying around.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Today I looked at both my rear wheels and there was a rough material that was paper thin and felt like a real hard sand paper sticking out of the brake calipers, could my brake pads maybe be going out? Thanks for the input cutlass and orion I appreciate it - Jason

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sounds like the brake pad fell off its backing plate.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Well looks like I really wont know whats up until Monday morning, I hope it is just my brakes and nothing spendy. Although there was nothing wrong with my brakes when I dropped it off so I dunno,If there is something wrong u-joint/driveshaft related it is obviously cause they did something wrong and should correct it for free, argh this is so annoying. I really cant afford any more big costs after that tranny rebuild.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Well, I worked today so I could not bring my car in, but I had my dad bring it in, he said he heard nothing and the shop took it for a spin and claimed they heard nothing as well, they also put it on a lift and shook some stuff around and found nothing, well I picked it up today and I HEARD the damn noise again it is driving me crazy, you can only hear it coming from the rear when the car has something to echo off of, like going past other cars, strip malls ,high curbs,bridge under passes ect..So i am going to bring it in personally tomorrow and have them figure this out cause it WAS NOT there before I dropped it for the tranny rebuild.

Thread Information