pewter
    99 Trans Am

Unhappy Which way should I go.

I have a 77 camaro and I have always felt that the car was having vibrating problems at high speed .This had been going own for years.I have posted on this board many times seeking help but nothing worked.I have finally found my problem.I have a 373 gear in the rearend of the camaro, at 0 to 70 there was no problem but after that all hell seemed to break loose.I found that my so called problem I had tried to find was of my own doing.I replaced the rearend gearing with the 373 gears, never running such a low gear before, I didn't know just how it would sound at high speed with a 350 trans.It was like nothing I was use to hearing.To my problem. My camaro have a 350 engine bored 60 over.10 to 1 flat top pistons,vortec heads,Rpm ebelbrock intake, 280/280 comp cam with 1.6 rockers,750 vac.carb.hedman headers.350 b&m trans that's less than 1-year old, which brings me to my problem.Do I remove the new trans and go with a 700r4 with all the performance goodies or have the rearend gears replaced with 323s which would get me away from the high speed moaning.The 700 will be a nice change at a price.I paid good money also for the b&m trans.The rearend gearing was done at a good rearend shop at a price also.Which way should I go.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Out of balance driveshaft?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

what brand of gears do you have in the rear? If they're set up properly there shouldn't be much whining to them. You will get a little bit just due to the harder material they're made out of but if you set them up right it's not something that would bother you much. I run 3.73's in my strange 12 bolt and wouldn't run any less of a gear. Mine make very little noise really....just a little more than stock.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

There is no whinning.Just a noticable moan of the rearend.I say that its the rearend gearing because I replaced the 373 rearend with one I had that has 273 gears and it's like night and day,very little notice at high speed,I have been told that this is common with lower gearing and no overdrive trans.I did the drive shaft thing and had it rechecked for balance and everything was good. I can't go into all the things that I have done to come to delieve that it's the gearing.what brand of gears I have no ideal.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Rear end gears. Cheapest alternative.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like the rear is either going out or the pinion depth, backlash, or preload was set incorrectly.

Like Orion mentioned, a properly set-up rear shouldn't make much noise, if any at all.

I run 4.11 gears and mine is quite. Granted I have a 6 speed, but even running it through 3rd I've never noticed noise coming from the rear.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Probably a setup issue if it's alot of whine noise you hear. I wouldn't even worry about an overdrive with 3.73's. With a 28" tire (which fits easily on a 77 camaro), 65 mph is only 2800 rpms. I use this combo on one of the cars and it makes a nice cruiser this way while still having enough gear to squirt around. Besides, an overdrive isn't going to cure rear gear noise. It'll slow the engine down a few hundred rpm, but you'll still hear that rearend whining.

Thread Information