Which way does the exhaust rotate under WOT??

This is a discussion on Which way does the exhaust rotate under WOT?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; just wondering which way it rotates (the engine)? Under WOT my exhaust on the drivers side still smacks the floor. ...

SOM
    2002 SS

Which way does the exhaust rotate under WOT??

just wondering which way it rotates (the engine)? Under WOT my exhaust on the drivers side still smacks the floor. It's driving me insane not to mention 5 trips to an exhaust shoppe so far. I don't want him to weld the exhaust 5 inches from the floor just to be sure because it will look as retarded as the stock exhaust did.

Is there anywhere in the middle or over the axle that is tight and may hit as well? Our next step is to remove the y and hammer the whole passenger side top flat as we can or dent it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Get poly engine mounts

SOM
    2002 SS

vs the cost of welding exhaust pipes I don't think its worth it. Also with a baby seat soon in the back I don't like the sound (or feel?) or poly.

I guess what I'm really looking for is some insight from someone who has been through exhaust vibrations from hitting the floorpan and had it fixed.

TIA

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    vs the cost of welding exhaust pipes I don't think its worth it. Also with a baby seat soon in the back I don't like the sound (or feel?) or poly.

I guess what I'm really looking for is some insight from someone who has been through exhaust vibrations from hitting the floorpan and had it fixed.

TIA
    They also sell bump hangers for this.

Most fix via poly mounts. They arent that bad. Its the tranny mount that send the most vibrations through

SOM
    2002 SS

would it make sense to get 1 poly mount on the side that squishes under acceleration? WHere can I get these bump hangers?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

are you sure it's even your exhaust??? you might have a broken trans or motor mount...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

would it make sense to get 1 poly mount on the side that squishes under acceleration? WHere can I get these bump hangers?
    no you dont want just 1 mount. like josh said..just get the hanger

98 Formula
    06 duramax

loosen the exhaust all the way up to the piece that goes over the axle. By rotating the over the axle piece you change the angle of the I-pipe and can get a little more clearance that way. Wedge blocks of wood between the floor and exhaust and tighten down the exhaust. Knock out the blocks of wood.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    loosen the exhaust all the way up to the piece that goes over the axle. By rotating the over the axle piece you change the angle of the I-pipe and can get a little more clearance that way. Wedge blocks of wood between the floor and exhaust and tighten down the exhaust. Knock out the blocks of wood.
    what are you..like the mcguyver of exhaust

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    what are you..like the mcguyver of exhaust
    nope...mine banged like hell when I put it in. I ran a piece of heater hose in there for a while but got tired of the vibration it transmitted to the floor pan so I put the car on stands and started moving stuff around until I had no y-pipe bang. I think a lot of people probably give up too early and buy that expensive ass hanger when they could possibly cure it for free. I don't run the drivers side mount on the Y either. Hasn't banged since I messed with that angle.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    nope...mine banged like hell when I put it in. I ran a piece of heater hose in there for a while but got tired of the vibration it transmitted to the floor pan so I put the car on stands and started moving stuff around until I had no y-pipe bang. I think a lot of people probably give up too early and buy that expensive ass hanger when they could possibly cure it for free. I don't run the drivers side mount on the Y either. Hasn't banged since I messed with that angle.
    :0 i'm just giving you a hard time

SOM
    2002 SS

I had him remove the hangar from the drivers side of the y and he welded the pipe to the stock exhaust for the clearance. I ended up whaling away with a huge crowbar and I think I bent the floor slightly too but there's still a rattle. AFter he removed the clamp the rattle was reduced significantly. Now it ONLY does it under WOT at 4-redline, WHich of course I am not seeing often since I wont beat on it until I can get this sorted out. I really wanted to put headers on and fix it but I ended up buying a 17" macbook pro laptop instead of doing the heads/cam/headers.

Oh I ordered an Y pipe clamp from some website forgot the name. Looks like it will do the trick it bolts to something along the drivers side Y pipe. For $40 its pocket change.

SOM
    2002 SS

any links to poly mounts? are they easy to do ? I am guessing I can jack the motor and do it one by one in the garage?

98' trans am

any links to poly mounts? are they easy to do ? I am guessing I can jack the motor and do it one by one in the garage?
    ws6store is where i bought mine..however..make sure and pb blast the ENTIRE motor mounts like 3 days before..let them sit for 12 hours ..and spray them again..to get them loose...i didn't..i waited until the day of...have the exhaust off and couldnt get the 4 bolts to even budge..even used a air ratchet...didn't budge so i skipped it..i still worry about that

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I had him remove the hangar from the drivers side of the y and he welded the pipe to the stock exhaust for the clearance. I ended up whaling away with a huge crowbar and I think I bent the floor slightly too but there's still a rattle. AFter he removed the clamp the rattle was reduced significantly. Now it ONLY does it under WOT at 4-redline, WHich of course I am not seeing often since I wont beat on it until I can get this sorted out. I really wanted to put headers on and fix it but I ended up buying a 17" macbook pro laptop instead of doing the heads/cam/headers.

Oh I ordered an Y pipe clamp from some website forgot the name. Looks like it will do the trick it bolts to something along the drivers side Y pipe. For $40 its pocket change.
    a $40 clamp better have diamond studs and a toilet paper dispenser that pops out. Just keep after it....you'll get it squared away. That bang can be annoying as hell......it drove me crazy until I got it fixed.

SOM
    2002 SS

Here's the clamp I ordered.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...headers-1.aspx

I would have guessed the engine mounts would come out easy. They did on my vette but I dont drive that year round and am not sure how they differ. on the vette it was 1 long bolt and nut.

The 3" y pipe That I got with my used corsa exhaust looks like the Hooker Y pipe. It's pretty beefy. any ideas on how I can flatten the top of just the exhaust pipe a bit?

98' trans am

Here's the clamp I ordered.

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/ca...headers-1.aspx

I would have guessed the engine mounts would come out easy. They did on my vette but I dont drive that year round and am not sure how they differ. on the vette it was 1 long bolt and nut.

The 3" y pipe That I got with my used corsa exhaust looks like the Hooker Y pipe. It's pretty beefy. any ideas on how I can flatten the top of just the exhaust pipe a bit?
    well yea..to unbolt the engine from the frame..yes its 1 long ass bolt with a nut...but to change the mounts themself you need to remove the for bolts that hold the mount to the engine..those are the pains in the ass

Thread Information