Water temp gauge fix

This is a discussion on Water temp gauge fix within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I would like to install a water temp gauge, I've searched a bit but can't seem to understand where to ...

MGM
    Pontiac G8 GT & 99 Z28 6M

Water temp gauge fix

I would like to install a water temp gauge, I've searched a bit but can't seem to understand where to put the sending unit. Do you need to drill anything or is the hole already in the head. Any Guidance is appreciated.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Water temp gauge fix

Depending on the gauge kit you can tap into the stock gauge wires or most likely use the Passenger side head port/bung. If you look on the Drivers side head you will see where the temp guage inserts into the head, just in front of the #1 exhaust tube but behind the PS pump. It will be in the same location on passenger side head except it's now near the #8 cylinder exhaust tube. This is where you place the gauge piece. Use heat resistan thread sealer or you may get a leak here.

It should be square port 3/8" drive. I would use a 3" extension to get it off.

Now regarding running the wires into the cabin. Chances are you'll want more gauges. Make a 1/2" to 5/8" hole on the drivers side and install a grommet for tge hole. Do tgis once and done, wish I had thought of it when I did my 1st gauge now I have 3 separate holes instead of 1.

PAJeff can show you a pic of where to drill. I got it off of him. I can't send one cause I'm on the road.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

MGM
    Pontiac G8 GT & 99 Z28 6M

Thanks Deadpool. I decided to order a obdII scanner that has live readout. I don' think Ill need constant awareness I just want to be able to check occasionally.

I had a water temp oil pressure and boost gauge on my Buick GN and none in my G8.
    87 GN 7.75 1/8th @ 90MPH-SOLD
    88 GTA AL driveshaft 350 TPI Auto 9.2 76mph
    08 G8 GT 7.88 1/8TH 93MPH
    99 Z28 SLP Lid Magnaflow Cat Back Hurst Shifter Tuned by Frost BMR LCA

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The stock temp gauges (in all but the '98 F-bodies) are about useless. I have a Hypertech that is secured to the driver side cup holder on a permanent basis. This allows me to monitor all sensor outputs, the display can be customized, and it actually looks ok there.

Thread Information