White
    2002 Z28

Water pump resolution!!!

An update..........

After calling Chevy and complaining, I was given the replacement of the water pump and labor for free!!

I am totally happy since my car only had 28K on it but over the 3 year limit.

One question though, there were exactly 8.1 miles extra on my odometer from drop off to pick up. I find this strange but picked it up late after work and couuld not talk to anyone about it yet.

Is this normal to have an additional 8 miles for a water pump replacement? I find this way excessive. Was there some sort of damn cruising done with the damn car??

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yes-lol-you became the shop vehicle that day-they went to pickup lunch in it.There is no reason to test drive a waterpump that far-I'd complain.

White
    2002 Z28

Bastards, I figured.

White
    2002 Z28

The only downfall is I cant really go anywhere with complaining. Pretty ridiculous though. As soon as I sat in it I noted the mileage and was annoyed. It was after closing pickup.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

My brother use to work a Chevy dealership. They test drive everything they work on.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

congrats on the fix!!! and scoring a nice low mile ride!!

for future reference if you need to fix the waterpump yourself ever, it is extremely easy on an ls1. all from the top and quick!

White
    2002 Z28

so then is 8 miles normal?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Depends on the area. Around here the norm is about 5 miles.

Red
    2000 SS

It's not uncommon to have "some" mileage on it. I'd get worried if it was 25 or more miles OR the rear tires look like they did some burnouts.

Benefit of doubt to the dealer, but I usually stay w/my car.

White
    2002 Z28

Thanks for input guys, at least I scored on the water pump and installation for free. I felt I deserved it with such low mileage.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    There is no reason to test drive a waterpump that far-I'd complain.
    Complain all you care to, I don't agree.

To get the engine up to operating temps and to pressurize the cooling system for a visual leak check you would need to put some miles on it.
    The car also has to be monitored in traffic to be sure no air remained in the system after re-filling.
    Can't do that sitting in a garage bay.

Would'nt you test drive it if it were your car, and you did the work yourself??

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93
    Complain all you care to, I don't agree.

To get the engine up to operating temps and to pressurize the cooling system for a visual leak check you would need to put some miles on it.
    The car also has to be monitored in traffic to be sure no air remained in the system after re-filling.
    Can't do that sitting in a garage bay.

Would'nt you test drive it if it were your car, and you did the work yourself??
    I agree 100%. I don't think 8 miles is too far. I would be glad that they took the time to verify the repairs, I always do that too at work...especially with cars that have intermittent problems, sometimes they need to be driven for 10+ miles to verify said problem doesn't return.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I guess it depends on the area-around here there is no reason I can think of to test drive something like a waterpump that far.I'd like to work in a shop where you've got that kind of time to waste-with the traffic around here that would take around 15-20 minutes of solid trying to get somewhere mileage.Yes you need to get it up to temperature and get the air out of the system-that can be done without it leaving the bay very much-it takes time not mileage.This would be done while you go get your next ticket(car),you would let it idle,rev it up occasionally,check on it every once in a while.While your getting you next job sold or parts ordered or whatever-it's running.After it's reached temperature you could run it around the block if it makes you feel better. Then shut it off and let it cool off-that's when it's going to draw coolant from the overflow.Refill and check the radiator to make sure the level is still ok.If you've got time to- warm it back up again-some cars do take some effort to get all the air out-but for the most part you can overfill the overflow bottle some to compensate for any air still in there.I can't recall taking many vehicles that far even with the customer in it-not in this area at least-there's too much traffic and it would take too much time and a water pump doesn't require that much mileage.Not bashing dealerships here-it could happen at any garage-but it's too much temptation for some of these guys to resist taking a cruise in a cool car.I was working with this guy for years ,never saw him take any interest in having his own hotrod-he drove beaters and never took care of them.One day he puts a loud exhaust system on this Mustang and test drove it and ran the sh*t out of it-you could hear him rappin this poor thing out for miles.Totally flogged it.I was ashamed to work in the same shop with this guy that day.All he had to say about was-he felt like it-so screw it.It's something that I still hold against that guy.And he only went maybe 4 miles.Hopefully that's not what happened here-but I would still call and ask if it were my car.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

exactly how easy is it to replace a water pump yourself???

Old thread but here's the process I use:

About 2 hours for me and a 5 on the 1 to 10 scale:

Put the car up on ramps or jack-stands.

Remove the belt by using the top side tensioner; I think that's a 15mm bolt. Remove the intake to the throttle body. Disconnect the hoses and throttle cable that are attached to the throttle body and then remove the throttle body itself (3 bolts I think).

Drain your coolant using the radiator petcock. Now prepare for a mess and disconnect the hoses from the water pump. I'm seeing 4 in my head right now; two from/to the heater core, one out of the thermostat and the big one to the radiator bottom.

Six bolts hold the water pump on. There are two gaskets and you might want to replace them. They are relatively expensive as they are made of aluminum with rubber inserts.

Replace the pump, torque bolts to 18 lbft and reverse the rest of the dis-assembly. Check your overflow reservoir and make it to the right level. Now fill the radiator with with 1 gallon of straight coolant and add as much water as you can. Put the cap on the radiator to the first catch. Start the engine and watch your temperature and water level. I have found it difficult to get the air out of the system and not over heat as the thermostat is not immersed and can't pick up the coolant temperature correctly. Some people drill two 1/8" holes in the thermostat blade to allow the air pocket and coolant to move a little so it can open in a timely manner. Keep checking and filling with water until you are satisfied your system is purged of air and your cooling system is full. Be careful! I do not put the radiator cap full on while doing the fill procedure while the engine gets hot. There is an intermediate position that attaches the cap but does not seal it down. This allows you know when the coolant is boiling up but won't let it to gush out and scorch your skin off.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

wow.. well thank you for that detailed explaination.. seems to be a fun job.

I just bought a water pump and gaskets. My car is up on ramps as I am working up the ambition to change it out. I'm slinging coolant up on the hood and as far as I can see, its coming out the back of the pump. I had the pump off when I replaced my H/C so the procedure is still a fresh in my brain. That's one of the reasons I went into the details.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

sweet.. ill probably get around to it eventually.

Thread Information