Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Water pump problem

This is a discussion on Water pump problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by az gt eater Glad you finally got it figured out. Time to get back out there, and ...

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Glad you finally got it figured out. Time to get back out there, and burn some rubber.
    Had the car out all weekend running perfect, I would say 20degrees cooler as far as the gauge on the dash but after headers, exhaust, SLP intake and a little FROST in the tank Iam in heaven!!! although the UMI SFC got it hooking up so the rubber burning is down a bit..but that is a good thing..LOL

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good to hear!

Having my own 'stat issue now. Bought one from NAPA for the Suburban and the damn thing is loose in the housing. The stock 'stat fit snug and is definitely beefier than this thing. I stopped at the dealership on the ride home today and ordered one up that is going to cost around $50, but at least the fit should be better.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Good to hear!

Having my own 'stat issue now. Bought one from NAPA for the Suburban and the damn thing is loose in the housing. The stock 'stat fit snug and is definitely beefier than this thing. I stopped at the dealership on the ride home today and ordered one up that is going to cost around $50, but at least the fit should be better.
    Frustrating isn't it? SBC always used the same thermsostats from 1955 to present and then these LS engines come along and screw the works up.....

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What got me was the fact that there is no draincock installed on the radiator -- looked around for one and then finally checked the manual. The approved drain procedure is to yank the lower hose... not! I drilled a hole in the hose and inserted a tube cut from a spray bottle to let it drain without making a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    What got me was the fact that there is no draincock installed on the radiator -- looked around for one and then finally checked the manual. The approved drain procedure is to yank the lower hose... not! I drilled a hole in the hose and inserted a tube cut from a spray bottle to let it drain without making a huge mess.
    Yeah, just crazy. Great idea too, thanks for sharing.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks. I was going to try and slice it at first, but there would have been no control over the coolant spraying out. I used a long 1/4" bit and only ended up with a bit of fluid as the rubber hose kind of sealed itself when I pulled the bit out. It was easy to then insert the tube with a rag wrapped around it to keep me from getting doused.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Frustrating isn't it? SBC always used the same thermsostats from 1955 to present and then these LS engines come along and screw the works up.....
    Agreed, the easy jobs always turn into problems! Seems the cheaper the part the more hassle, put a heater core in a winter unit years ago if I remember correct it was under $30 and took me damm near all day and I still had to cut part of the dash to get it out, I think that is the first part of the car and build around it..No drain on the rad. Just don't make any sense! What so thay can sell you a new hose also?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I picked up the new thermostat today from the dealership and it definitely fits like it should -- also better built than the NAPA piece. Only difference is that the stock 'stat had a coating on the springs wheras the replacement does not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information