Water Pump?

This is a discussion on Water Pump? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Man it seems like all these little things are just starting to happen all at once. I've got about 77k ...

Black
    01 Trans Am

Water Pump?

Man it seems like all these little things are just starting to happen all at once. I've got about 77k on my 01. About a year ago, every once in a while I would get a slight whiff of coolant. I searched and searched but never could find the leak. I checked my coolant levels every couple of days but it never went down. The smell just disappeared one day. Last week as I sat in the parking lot at work I smelled it again stronger than usual. I checked my radiator yesterday and it was bone dry. Still no signs of a leak. My car was been running hotter than usual for a while now (not because of the low coolant) but I have an slp fan switch so it hasn't been a problem.
    When the weep hole leaks on the ls1 pump, can you usually find traces of a leak? I know on my 85 vette when that one went you couldn't find a dry spot under the hood. I'm about 99% sure thats my problem but I figured I would see if anyone here had a similar problem and if there is something else I'm missing. And if you're going to recommend the water pump seals, I figure if I'm going to take the time to remove the water pump I might as well replace it. Thanks a lot, you guys are really helpful.

Friend of mine had a bad radiator cap (not holding pressure) and was running a little hot. Heater core OK, not leaking? To trace a hard to find external leak you can bring it to a shop and have them put dye in the system, then they use a special light to find it.

water pump gaskets,replace them,i bean down this road.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i had to replace my water pump like 500 miles after i got it all i gotta say is $$$$$$$$$

Black
    01 Trans Am

Well I replaced the water pump today. The gaskets were bad, so thats where my coolant was going. The more I think about it, my problem with the car running hotter started around the time I put in the slp 160 thermostat. The car runs a little cooler after the new pump but still gets hotter than I think it should at idle for having a 160 in it. I may throw in a new thermostat and see what happens. BTW the water pump was surprisingly easily to replace, took just over an hour and I wasn't in any kind of hurry.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Right on...also check the fins in the radiator for blockage....mine had tons of little pebbles and crap in there. If I was you i'd stick with a stock temp stat or the lowest i'd put in is a 180*...then tune the fan on/off temps to go along with the stat temp. I still have the stocker 195* and have the low/high speed fans on/off temps set to 208/197 and 217/207. So far I really like the settings...the low speed cycles on/off like it supposed to and never gets above 208....whatever settings you choose make sure the fans aren't always on or you'll drastically reduce the life of them.

Black
    01 Trans Am

Radiators clean. I checked that first thing hoping it would be something simple like that but nope. I may swap out the thermostat this weekend and see what happens. I really hate how the temp guage isn't accurate, I want to know exactly how hot my car is. I've considered putting a temp guage on the pillar. If I did that I'd have to put an oil guage or something there too because I don't like the look of just 1 guage. Thanks for all the help guys.

Thread Information