Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Water leaks into cabin when running the A/C?

Searching around has not turned up anything definitive so I gotta ask. Ran the A/C and was getting water dripping into the passenger floor board. I couldn't take the time to look at it right away. Now that it's so freaking hot I want to run it but I can't because I know it will start again. Sooo, once I run it and look under the dash to try and find where it's starting then what? Exactly what am I looking for? I see the condenser inside the engine compartment freezes up but how does it get through the firewall? I didn't think we had a filter system in our dashboard so looking for a plugged drain hole doesn't seem right.

Suggestions on where to begin please?
    I was here before the server crashed.

The AC condensate drain is clogged - use something flexible from the outside to clear it. Here's what a '95 looks like, ours is basically the same. http://shbox.com/1/a_c_drain.jpg

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    The AC condensate drain is clogged - use something flexible from the outside to clear it. Here's what a '95 looks like, ours is basically the same. http://shbox.com/1/a_c_drain.jpg
    Well, ok then. That's a start. Thanks!

Do it with the car level so the excess water drains out.

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

That may be easier said than done. I need to get under the car to look up at the drain. That means either ramps or I could try to drive the right wheel up along the curb so I can slide under. Sounds like fun after the sun has been blazing the concrete and ashphalt all day. Anything in particular I should use or not use to poke into the drain hole? I don't know if the cap is missing or not yet. If it's gone and still plugged this could get real interesting.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I'm sure the problem is the heater core.
    Very expensive to fix

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've always just used a coat hanger to clear them when I've had them clog up. Just don't go jabbing in there like you're trying to flush out a raccoon. Just run it up the line. Definitely sounds like your problem....not the heater core.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    I'm sure the problem is the heater core.
    Very expensive to fix
    98maro if it was the heater core he will get antifreeze smell inside the car.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    98maro if it was the heater core he will get antifreeze smell inside the car.
    ohh ok.. my jeep has a similar problem but it does smell like antifreze all the time.. i thought that could be his problem too

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

+1 on the condensate drain. We have had quite a few customers come into my job for that very issue. We blow air from a blowgun into the drain and stand clear of the waterfall.

Bright Metallic Blue A4
    1999 WS9

Thumbs up

Who's da Man?

2001NBMZ28!

That was it. Unplugged the hole and we have drainage. Thanks Dude.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

nice that you figured it out. Now enjoy some cold A/C again.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ohh ok.. my jeep has a similar problem but it does smell like antifreze all the time.. i thought that could be his problem too
    have you priced a heater core for your jeep? Generally heater cores are pretty cheap really.....it's labor that you end up paying for. They shoe horn those things into the hardest place there is on the whole vehicle to get too. My heater core busted on my last truck and cost me $40 for a new one. You're in cali though where it never gets cold.....just bypass it altogether.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    have you priced a heater core for your jeep? Generally heater cores are pretty cheap really.....it's labor that you end up paying for. They shoe horn those things into the hardest place there is on the whole vehicle to get too. My heater core busted on my last truck and cost me $40 for a new one. You're in cali though where it never gets cold.....just bypass it altogether.
    the heater core in not that expensive..the labor is very expensive.
    a friend of mine works at a shop, he said they usually charge $500 just for labor.. the part its self its like $80 dollars.
    i watch a video to see if i could done it my self..man theres no way ill do that..ill just bypass it.. the good thing the jeep has heater on the seats, i dont really need the heater on the jeep. i dont like it, and here in cali you dont really need it..

to have an idea,, i watch the video on youtube,,, its just alot of work..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

the heater core in not that expensive..the labor is very expensive.
    a friend of mine works at a shop, he said they usually charge $500 just for labor.. the part its self its like $80 dollars.
    i watch a video to see if i could done it my self..man theres no way ill do that..ill just bypass it.. the good thing the jeep has heater on the seats, i dont really need the heater on the jeep. i dont like it, and here in cali you dont really need it..

to have an idea,, i watch the video on youtube,,, its just alot of work..
    get a piece of hose and bypass that sucker. you dont need it.
    1998 TA 130k A4, LS6 intake, TunedByFrost, Airlid, AIR and EGR delete, Borla exhaust, front Eibach lowering springs, LS6 valley cover, UMI TQ arm, UMI LCA's, UMI panhard bar, Poly engine mounts, BMR relocation brackets, Blistein HD shocks and struts, Oil catch can, Autotrix window fix.

Now I have an 2001 F150 5.4L

blue
    1999 TransAm

is the A/C evaporator coil part of the heater core assy or is it located separately? i've never bothered to check it out..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

AC Evap core and heater core are 2 separate things but both are inside the HVAC case.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    AC Evap core and heater core are 2 separate things but both are inside the HVAC case.
    thanks!

Blue
    02 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    Searching around has not turned up anything definitive so I gotta ask. Ran the A/C and was getting water dripping into the passenger floor board. I couldn't take the time to look at it right away. Now that it's so freaking hot I want to run it but I can't because I know it will start again. Sooo, once I run it and look under the dash to try and find where it's starting then what? Exactly what am I looking for? I see the condenser inside the engine compartment freezes up but how does it get through the firewall? I didn't think we had a filter system in our dashboard so looking for a plugged drain hole doesn't seem right.

Suggestions on where to begin please?
    Living in FL presents the problem of ant invasion into about everything home, garages and cars. I was getting water leakage into the passenger side floor board and it felt cold and only when the A/C was on. Also when I would turn on my A/C full blast I was getting these small particles like sand coming out of the vents. I put my car on a lift and inspected the A/C drain hole and low and behold I had an ant colony living close by to that drain hole. It was more then likely their source of water. I blew out the drain and the ant colony on the shelf near the drain. Problem solved. No more leaks in the floor board and sand blowing out of my vents.

Blue
    02 Chevy Camaro SS

Living in FL you can run into ant infestations. I had the same issue with cold water leaking into the passenger floor board when the A/C was on. I also had dust particles like sand blowing out my air vents. Put the car on a lift and discovered an ant colony living near the drain hole on a shelf. Blew out the A/C drain hole and removed that ant colony. Problem solved. It took awhile for that sand to finally blow out of the air vents but all clean now and no more leaks.

Thread Information