Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 Z28

Water leaking into the driver's rear floorpan

Hi,

I have 2001 Z28 with about 145,000 miles. I live in Florida where it rains everyday during the summer. Yesterday I discovered that my driver's side rear floor mat was damp. I did not leave the windows down, so there must be another source. I've run into a wall trying to find it and I'd like some help.

At first I thought it was just the floor area in front of the rear seat that was wet. But as I felt around, I found that the underside of the rear seat itself was wet as well. So I removed both the rear seat cushions. This is what I saw underneath.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...DampCarpet.jpg

Upon examining the seats themselves, I realized that this issue has been around for a while. Note, the carpet on the hump in between the two wells is not wet and doesn't appear to be wet at all.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...2DampSeats.jpg

I removed the seat back bench and plastic siding so I could peel back the carpet and get a better look. This is a pic of what I saw.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...moveSiding.jpg

As I peeled back the carpet, I realized just how much water I had inside the car

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...BackCarpet.jpg

There was a soaking wet piece of padding on the side wall that I removed (and will likely have to replace). Beneath it was really sticky black patch of something. I couldn't peel it back without it coming apart. I don't know what it's doing so I left it alone.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...vedPadding.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l.../06CloseUp.jpg

Given how wet the padding was, I figured the leak must be somewhere around that black patch. Then I noticed this on the frame behind the rear seat back next to the wheel well.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...fWheelWell.jpg

Looks like a water trail leading down the back of the frame. Incidentally, I found some sort of mud wasp tube near the seat belt connection. Not sure how it got there.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...rnateAngle.jpg

I couldn't figure out which area was more likely the cause of the leak. I decided to clean everything up to see if it looked any different.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...theProblem.jpg

I'm still not sure. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I couldn't remove the hex bolts holding the seat belt pulleys in place. I don't have a hex screwdriver big enough. I tried a large allen wrench, but it almost broke off in my hand. Is there a trick to removing these things? Do they have lock-tite or something else on them?

I'd appreciate any help you guys can provide.
    Last edited by Thewilldog; 09-04-2009 at 08:10 PM.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

As for the seat belts use a Torx socket.... T45 or T50 somewhere in there....

I cant see your pics tho, I have refreshed 5 times....

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    As for the seat belts use a Torx socket.... T45 or T50 somewhere in there....

I cant see your pics tho, I have refreshed 5 times....
    Thanks, Ill go look for those this weekend. I added direct links for the pics. Not sure why they aren't showing up in thread.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Looks like the hatch seal. Right @ the bend, I can see rust starting there just under the lower lip of the seal..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

White
    2001 Z28

I see. What should I do to fix this, caulk it w/ silicon?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Thewilldog View Post
    I see. What should I do to fix this, caulk it w/ silicon?
    Honestly I'd replace the entire seal. You could use silicone, but it may just go bad elsewhere later.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also the hatch may not be closeing enough to get a good seal there. You could try to adjust the rubber stoppers. They just twist like a screw. But if you adjust too far it will throw off the body lines @ the rear of the hatch.

Navy Blue
    98-Camaro SS.

Wow thats alot of water in there. Be careful how you park it, as I notice when I park mine in the driveway facing down at an angle the water just puddles in those corners heavily and eventually might leak down to the inside like yours. Best to park it with the rear down and nose up.

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

i have a 91 camaro that did the same thing. i noticed that it was leaking through the rear hatch because i parked on a hill and when it rained the water would collect in the little grooves where the rubber seals would attach to the back glass and just pour in when it filled up. i turned the car around and it never leaked again

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My 01 Camaro never leaks. I take care of the gaskets too. I've been using black magic since I got her 4 yrs ago. I even treat the spare tire too. But as far as the hatch goes I can park in any direction with no leaks. If it were me depending on your money situation, I'd go ahead and just replace it. The sharp body edge that the gasket sits on maybe cutting into the under side of your gasket. Silicone may work, but as I was saying earlier it may not and then possibly leak elsewhere too..

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98CamaroSS View Post
    Wow thats alot of water in there. Be careful how you park it, as I notice when I park mine in the driveway facing down at an angle the water just puddles in those corners heavily and eventually might leak down to the inside like yours. Best to park it with the rear down and nose up.
    Hadn't thought of that. I usually back into my drive way which has a slight upward angle to it, so the nose is lower than the tail.

I took another look a the hatch this morning and found this.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...intheHatch.jpg

It's a hole, but it's really not far from where the gap between the hatch and the read deck begins anyway.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...rnateAngle.jpg

I took a look at the rear deck, but I didn't find any water damage.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...mageinRear.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...thnoCarpet.jpg

I'm not really sure how water is getting to that spot Smittro pointed out. I'm going to leave the seats out and the paneling off for a while. Next time it rains, I look for the leak.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You could always get a bucket of water and pour it over the area too(hatch closed of course) then get inside and see if you can see exactly where it's getting in. Or take the nozle off of your garden hose and lay it on the roof pointing at the hatch and let it run, then hop inside and have a look see.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I feel fortunate now to have a garage, but back in the day I had a grand prix that had a leak in the trunk. I used water with a slight tint of food coloring to track down the trouble area.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I feel fortunate now to have a garage, but back in the day I had a grand prix that had a leak in the trunk. I used water with a slight tint of food coloring to track down the trouble area.
    LOL, me too. Had a 90 grand prix, leaked like crazy. It used to fill up the spare tire well lol. I pulled out the rubber stopper @ the bottom of the well and let it drain about once a month or so. The constant wet caused the jack to be ruined lol..

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    LOL, me too. Had a 90 grand prix, leaked like crazy. It used to fill up the spare tire well lol. I pulled out the rubber stopper @ the bottom of the well and let it drain about once a month or so. The constant wet caused the jack to be ruined lol..
    Guess it was common then. We had a huge storm and came out to find a foot of standing water in the trunk of my 96 gp. I checked underneath and then took my power drill and drilled three small holes in the lowest spots. Later turned out the gasket at back window was shot, even tho it looked good.

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

i feel ya on this one buddy. mine's doing the same thing just on the passenger front floor. after a storm two weeks ago, i had over an inch of standing water!!!!!

get it taken care of soon so you don't rust

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

You gotta figure the seals are about 10 years old now & are showing their age.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Don't use silcone on the car. It will not seal the leak for more than a few months and you will end up putting more of it on.
    Your better off replacing the hatch seal, then you just have to deal with the rust.
    Leave the torx bolts alone unless you have to remove then. The bits break and the top of the bolt strips easily. They are lock-tited. If you have to remove the torx bolts, use a torch to heat the threads first.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Don't use silcone on the car. It will not seal the leak for more than a few months and you will end up putting more of it on.
    Your better off replacing the hatch seal, then you just have to deal with the rust.
    Leave the torx bolts alone unless you have to remove then. The bits break and the top of the bolt strips easily. They are lock-tited. If you have to remove the torx bolts, use a torch to heat the threads first.
    This is not so much true of the Large Torx. The correct socket will do the job swell. The torch Idea is bad.... Especially inside the car...

=

If it seems to tough to move Tap it with a hammer a few times.

Also, The hose idea is your quickest route, Close urself in the car, And have someone run the hose on it, till you see water comin in....

Thread Information