Results 1 to 14 of 14

warranty worth it?

This is a discussion on warranty worth it? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm purchasing a 98 WS6 with 100k miles on it from a dealership. It's in excellent condition with a replaced ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member degenerate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    50

    Silver
    98 WS6

    warranty worth it?

    I'm purchasing a 98 WS6 with 100k miles on it from a dealership. It's in excellent condition with a replaced clutch and transmission just 6months ago. They have unlimited mile warranties which cover pretty much everything (except clutches from what I see) starting at 6months for $800. I'm wondering if it's worth the added financing to go with the added protection or just trust in what I've seen as a great car and just put it to some more power!!

  2. #2
    delinquent543
    Guest
    100k miles is a lot of miles for any car. Are you getting a really good deal with it? otherwise u should keep looking around for one with less miles maybe. Otherwise its up to you. Does the car drive well? any noticable troubles? The clutch would definatly be the first thing to go if anything does go wrong. After 100k, u should replace the sparkplugs + wires and other fluids etc... Remember carfax isnt fool proof...

  3. #3
    99PontTA
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by degenerate
    I'm purchasing a 98 WS6 with 100k miles on it from a dealership. It's in excellent condition with a replaced clutch and transmission just 6months ago. They have unlimited mile warranties which cover pretty much everything (except clutches from what I see) starting at 6months for $800. I'm wondering if it's worth the added financing to go with the added protection or just trust in what I've seen as a great car and just put it to some more power!!
    NO DON"T BUY THE WARRANTY...its a rip off...most car dealers make more off the warranties than the cars...its a rip off...that warranty only covers BROKEN parts...not worn out parts...its insane.If you want a real warranty buy a AAA warranty from AAA or see if GM offers a real warranty...aftermarket dealer warranties are RIP OFFS!!!!!! RIPP OFFS !!!!! RIP OFFS !!!!!! getting the IDEA?????







    RIP OFFS!!!!
    Last edited by 99PontTA; 12-12-2005 at 05:16 PM.

  4. #4
    Junior Member degenerate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    50

    Silver
    98 WS6

    There arent any noticable problems with this car. It's in amazing condition for 100k miles. I'm getting it for just under 10g. I think it's a pretty good deal and most people on the site said they would pay up to 9500 for a car with 100k from a private seller. I'm in a time constraint with buying a car, and 10g from a dealer seems reasonable enough to me, espacially when the car is so clean.

    Yeah good point 99pontta

  5. #5
    Senior Member SeVeReDiStOrTiOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8,164

    05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

    If the motor was well taken care of...100k miles isn't that high, the motor is the strongest thing on our cars. My 00 is gonna turn 82k and purrs like a kitten. Do a full tune up if you buy her..check all fluids, that includes the rear. When I buy a used car....I start from scratch so i know exactly what was done at what time. I flush everything....coolant, tranny...rear fluid. Say you'll buy the car if they'll change the rear fluid for you...and watch them change it. Check for any metal shavings when they pull the cover...could save you a couple grand for a new rear or axel/carrier bearings.

    Ask to see receipts for the new clutch and tranny...and for anything else they claim is on the car. I know it seems like all that will be a pain...but it'll save your ass in the end, especially if money will be short for you after you buy her. If you know how to rebuild a 10-bolt then you don't have to worry as much...

  6. #6
    Junior Member degenerate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    50

    Silver
    98 WS6

    thanks for the advice. thats not much pain at all when considering purchasing a car that you want around for a long time.

    I totally agree with you on changing all the fluids as soon as you get a new car too, that's how I am. It's better to know that everything is fresh and up to date.

    Is there anything else I should look harder at for it being 100k?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Liberty MO
    Posts
    100

    Black
    1995 Firebird

    Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    NO DON"T BUY THE WARRANTY...its a rip off...most car dealers make more off the warranties than the cars...its a rip off...that warranty only covers BROKEN parts...not worn out parts...its insane.If you want a real warranty buy a AAA warranty from AAA or see if GM offers a real warranty...aftermarket dealer warranties are RIP OFFS!!!!!! RIPP OFFS !!!!! RIP OFFS !!!!!! getting the IDEA?????









    RIP OFFS!!!!
    They are hug rip off's. I know of a guy who spent $2,500 on what he thought was a great long lasting waranty. But he bought it through one of those aftermarket warranties shiestholes. About two years later, he threw a rod in his motor (which was covered under the paperwork of the warranty) But when he went to get his motor payed for... the company was MIA Come to find out, they went bankrupt and he was out $2,500, and still had to pay for the work on his car... So be careful because you may get

  8. #8
    02nhra
    Guest
    Dont get it. Because of the type of car it is, they will usually attempt to deny your claim even if it should be covered.

  9. #9
    We'll be back... GatorSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    THE SWAMP
    Posts
    1,446

    Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6


    Those "aftermarket" warranties are a huge rip off. Just ask anyone who purchased one and then tried to make a warranty claim. The two most common responses when calling them under such circumstances are:
    (1) "Sorry, that's not covered under the warranty..." or
    (2) "beep beep beep...We're sorry, but the number you dialed has been disconnected."

  10. #10
    dmnall
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS

    Those "aftermarket" warranties are a huge rip off. Just ask anyone who purchased one and then tried to make a warranty claim. The two most common responses when calling them under such circumstances are:
    (1) "Sorry, that's not covered under the warranty..." or
    (2) "beep beep beep...We're sorry, but the number you dialed has been disconnected."
    I agree that the aftermarket warranties are a joke. Only the gmpp is the one warranty that I would want. Trust me, when I had my 02 Z28 I bought the car from a family friend who worked for a Chrysler Dealer, I bought the Chrysler Service contract and when I had a couple of issues with the LS1, all I got was you have to blow up the engine before the warranty will even fix it. 3 x to the local chev dealer, and the same thing each time, piston slap is bad, lower bearing on the crank and rod bearing going out. I got tired of having to deal with the same old answer that I traded the car off. Canceled my Service contract which I paid $ 1800 out of pocket for it and never could use. Local dealer said that if the engine blew up, they would fix it but then there was the possibility that Chrysler would have said warranty denied. Either way I would have been screwed and had to pay for full repairs. I will never buy an aftermarket warranty again.

    Charlie

  11. #11
    99PontTA
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dmnall
    I agree that the aftermarket warranties are a joke. Only the gmpp is the one warranty that I would want. Trust me, when I had my 02 Z28 I bought the car from a family friend who worked for a Chrysler Dealer, I bought the Chrysler Service contract and when I had a couple of issues with the LS1, all I got was you have to blow up the engine before the warranty will even fix it. 3 x to the local chev dealer, and the same thing each time, piston slap is bad, lower bearing on the crank and rod bearing going out. I got tired of having to deal with the same old answer that I traded the car off. Canceled my Service contract which I paid $ 1800 out of pocket for it and never could use. Local dealer said that if the engine blew up, they would fix it but then there was the possibility that Chrysler would have said warranty denied. Either way I would have been screwed and had to pay for full repairs. I will never buy an aftermarket warranty again.

    Charlie
    same thing happened to me.....infact the dealer used a bait and switch tactic on us.........promised a GMPP and in the end we got aftermarket that was worth NOTHING.Seems consumer protection would get involved in this but i've never heard anything.Cost me at least 4k so far because of their crappy aftermarket warranty.

  12. #12
    Member Fastcar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jersey Boy
    Posts
    316

    Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

    Angry Warrantee not worth the paper it's written on!!

    I bought my T/A used and bought an aftermarket warranty from the dealer because it LOOKED good on paper (the items they covered). Well, I had a rear pinion seal leak - took it back to my hometown Pontiac dealer since I had purchased the car in another state. Don't get me wrong, my local dealer has excellent competent mechanics (my mechanic has an '99 SS) so I haven't had any problems with him, it's just the warrantee company. They're not out of business yet but they should be: "Fluid leaks and seals aren't covered under the warrantee, only if the item completely fails". Yeah, my rear end has to burn up for them to fix it & the seal (which is replaced only as part of the rebuild/repair)? If they knew a failure was caused by a fluid leak, they could (and probably would) deny the claim!! Major rip-off, don't waste your $$$. Had to pay for the seal replacement out of my own pocket. It reminds me of the CapitalOne frequent flyer miles ads on TV with David Spade: "NO NO NUNCA!!!" I've had other problems too which should have been covered but I get the same answer...... The company is located in Delaware, which has weasel consumer protection laws. It's not worth the money to go after them legally, and they've been in the business a long time: that's why the warrantee is worded the way it is.

  13. #13
    99PontTA
    Guest
    the only two warranties i know are ok are GMPP and AAA ...i'm sure there are others.A good way to find a good warranty c ompany is to ask a local garage that uses them...they will know which are good and which are bad.

  14. #14
    dmnall
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    same thing happened to me.....infact the dealer used a bait and switch tactic on us.........promised a GMPP and in the end we got aftermarket that was worth NOTHING.Seems consumer protection would get involved in this but i've never heard anything.Cost me at least 4k so far because of their crappy aftermarket warranty.
    That sucks, especially since you did not get the gmpp as promised. I would have fought the dealership and got the warranty that was promised. One bit of information I did find out, if you ever buy a GM car from a non-gm dealer and the car still has the 3 year/36K warranty on it. You can actually take the car to a GM dealership and buy the gmpp if you wanted to, I found out about this too late.

    Charlie

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS 2002 Trans Am Pewter Under factory Warranty
    By buldogg in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2005, 08:15 PM
  2. Is it worth it?? Please let me Know!!!
    By BIG D's SS in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 09:38 AM
  3. ???brands???trannyunder Extended Warranty!!!
    By RYEZ_UP in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-18-2005, 02:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •