Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 101

Want to get a LS1 but have a question about MPG

This is a discussion on Want to get a LS1 but have a question about MPG within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 My auto 2.73 gear'd Z got high 20's stock. Added K&N Lid, free mods and highest ...

  1. #41
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    My auto 2.73 gear'd Z got high 20's stock. Added K&N Lid, free mods and highest I got was 31 MPG on a trip to daytona. Mods that "free" horsepower will increase mileage as long as you keep your foot out of it.
    +2, noticed the same on my car.

    Originally Posted by kawana
    Silly question, but usually doesn't stick get better MPG than auto?
    theoretically yes, but in daily driving the a4 always upshifts when you throttle back, keeping you in low rpms. usually, people tend to keep in lower gears with a standard tranny (i always did), so i guess it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

    also, gas mileage really is also a weight issue. that's why heavy suvs are such gas guzzlers.

  2. #42
    I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Standish,Maine
    Age
    49
    Posts
    560

    Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

    Quote Originally Posted by kawana View Post
    22mpg is that city or highway?

    also, what mods can be done to increase MPG a little bit?
    22 mpg is what I was getting when I was driving back and forth to work. It's a 20 mile drive, 3/4 of it is on a state route at 50 mph into the city, the other 1/4 is city.

    The best mods for gas mileage are - the free ram-air mod to the air cleaner box, a cotton/reusable air filter, like K&N, a cat-back exhaust, and synthetic fluids, like motor oil, trans. fluid, and rearend fliud.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,167

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    22 mpg is what I was getting when I was driving back and forth to work. It's a 20 mile drive, 3/4 of it is on a state route at 50 mph into the city, the other 1/4 is city.

    The best mods for gas mileage are - the free ram-air mod to the air cleaner box, a cotton/reusable air filter, like K&N, a cat-back exhaust, and synthetic fluids, like motor oil, trans. fluid, and rearend fliud.
    Don't forget headers! See my earlier post. (helps HP also, a nice side effect)

  4. #44
    Senior Member SeVeReDiStOrTiOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8,164

    05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_SS View Post
    Well the sticker says 19mpg on the streets and 21 on the highway. But of course that depends on how you drive. Last week I spent $120 on gas. Gas is so frekin high now I drive my dad's 4 banger Tacoma to work. $3.67 for 91 is outrageous.
    Those tacomas get crappy mpg even though it's a 4 banger/6er...on the highway you'd do better in your LS1. That's the reason I never got a late 90's early 2000's tacoma....they chew gas and have no power.

  5. #45
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    21

    n/a
    n/a

    Arg i dont know what to do anymore lol, im getting mixed opinons. Some saying the millage isn't that bad, others saying its awful. I live in an area with fairly light traffic, i live about 2 miles from work. Lets say i drive like, 5-8 miles per day, any idea roughly how much it'd cost per week for gas? I really want this car but i want to be sure its something i can afford. What mods can be done to increase millage besides Intake? Would lightening the weight help? Id probably take out the back seat as for the next 2 years i can only have 1 passenger anyways. Would taking the rear seat out do enough to make it worth while? If you can think of any way to increase gas millage aside from the obvious (going easy on the right foot), it might help me decide if this is feezable for me.

  6. #46
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    obviously you need to make a decision that is more fundamental:

    can or do you want to afford a high powered, big displacement car like an ls1 f-body? if you get one, you'll eventually drive it like a sports car here and there. and you won't think of the gasmileage. economy and muscle cars are two concepts that almost contradict each other. something like a honda civic needs about 40% less fuel than an ls1 powered car. and gas prices will keep rising. so if you are really tight on money, maybe you should get something that won't slowly eat you alive...

    remember, it's just a car!

  7. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    21

    n/a
    n/a

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    obviously you need to make a decision that is more fundamental:

    can or do you want to afford a high powered, big displacement car like an ls1 f-body? if you get one, you'll eventually drive it like a sports car here and there. and you won't think of the gasmileage. economy and muscle cars are two concepts that almost contradict each other. something like a honda civic needs about 40% less fuel than an ls1 powered car. and gas prices will keep rising. so if you are really tight on money, maybe you should get something that won't slowly eat you alive...

    remember, it's just a car!
    i know, just hopes and dreams lol :P

  8. #48
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    i didn't wanna discourage you, i just think you should think it through. oh, and: at 19, i had a vw golf 1.3 with 60 hp. it ran 100 mph (downhill)....

  9. #49
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    i didn't wanna discourage you, i just think you should think it through. oh, and: at 19, i had a vw golf 1.3 with 60 hp. it ran 100 mph (downhill)....
    Too bad. At 19 I had just blown up the engine on a 69 Camaro SS 396. This lead to my buying a 67 Nova. Back in the day (early 70's) they were just used cars. Of course gas was around $.50 a gallon for 98 or so octane leaded. The 1st gas crisis you know. Everybody was getting rid of their fuel ineffecient big block cars. If I'd've known what would happen 30 years later I would have stashed them all!

  10. #50
    JUISSED Midnight02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    36
    Posts
    663

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

    I have a M6 with a good handful of bolt ons and a 3.90 rear and still get roughly 22 - 24 on the highway. I tach right at 2,050 RPM in 6th gear at 80 mph.

    The city, unfortunately, is a much different story for me. I live in Atlanta and work in Midtown, so I deal with rush hour traffic every day. Thanks to the congestion and the fact that I like getting onto the "loud pedal" in the rare instance that I do have a little open highway in front of me, I probably only get around 14 - 16 in the city.

  11. #51
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Too bad. At 19 I had just blown up the engine on a 69 Camaro SS 396. This lead to my buying a 67 Nova. Back in the day (early 70's) they were just used cars. Of course gas was around $.50 a gallon for 98 or so octane leaded. The 1st gas crisis you know. Everybody was getting rid of their fuel ineffecient big block cars. If I'd've known what would happen 30 years later I would have stashed them all!
    well, here in europe a 5.7 liter engine is so crazy and politically incorrect...
    also, we have tax by displacement, so i simply could not afford anything bigger than the golf at that time. any engine with more than 2 liters is considered big here...

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    dont worry about it
    Age
    29
    Posts
    238

    Red
    01 Z28

    just buy a camaro u will regret if u dont

  13. #53
    Junior Member ShelbyGLHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    50

    silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

    27 mpg on the hwy with a 6-sp.
    The size tires you run will affect the mileage. I run 275's on the street.
    245's are alot light wheel/tire combo and have less rolling resistance.

    I think a Z28 makes a nice dual purpose car.

    But, It will take alot of will power not hit the gas alot, then bye mpg.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,167

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by kawana View Post
    Arg i dont know what to do anymore lol, im getting mixed opinons. Some saying the millage isn't that bad, others saying its awful. I live in an area with fairly light traffic, i live about 2 miles from work. Lets say i drive like, 5-8 miles per day, any idea roughly how much it'd cost per week for gas? I really want this car but i want to be sure its something i can afford. What mods can be done to increase millage besides Intake? Would lightening the weight help? Id probably take out the back seat as for the next 2 years i can only have 1 passenger anyways. Would taking the rear seat out do enough to make it worth while? If you can think of any way to increase gas millage aside from the obvious (going easy on the right foot), it might help me decide if this is feezable for me.
    Come on now, it all depends on what you want! Do you want the ability to get smashed into the seat sometimes? Then get the LS1 6-Spd for best mileage already. I drive 5.3 miles one way to work, gas costs me $11 per 5 day work week that way at $3 per gallon. Slightly more now that premium is $3.50 here now. But you know, when gas costs $2 per gallon and it goes to $3, that is a 50% increase. When it goes from $3 to $4, it is only a 33% increase. Considering inflation, gas from 1981 would cost about $3.45 now, I remember scraping together $5 for gas to go cruising back in 1980 when it shot up to $1.39. I was almost out of high school then and it seemed expensive like it does now, except I make a lot more $$$$ now. Also, my Trans Am gets the best mileage of any car I have ever owned, and I went to the drag strip and got my first 12 second pass with any car! 12.992 @ 107.3 MPH. I need to post that on the other thread about speeds with the time slip proof,

  15. #55
    Collecting V8's
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Austin - Texas
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16

    Silver
    1999 Camaro Z28

    MPG in England

    If you live in england you would not be complaining about petrol prices over in the states, we are over 1 per UK litre of super unleaded here! 45 per tank anyone? Thats on a 99 Auto and would be about $90 with todays exchange rates.

  16. #56
    Junior Member ShelbyGLHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    50

    silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

    Thanks for the reality check. I have a Ram 2500 that gets 13 mpg in mixed driving, 10 mpg towing. I have been driving it less since gas hit 3 bucks here in MA.
    Of course it does have a 35 gallon tank which is truly painful at fill up time.

    The camaro/vette 6 spd are a great comprise because mpg really depends on how it's driven. The cars get great mileage on the highway at 1400 rpm.

  17. #57
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by gareth001 View Post
    If you live in england you would not be complaining about petrol prices over in the states, we are over 1 per UK litre of super unleaded here! 45 per tank anyone? Thats on a 99 Auto and would be about $90 with todays exchange rates.
    i feel your pain: 95 was 1.34 Euro today for a liter... that's about 1.70 US

  18. #58
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    i feel your pain: 95 was 1.34 Euro today for a liter... that's about 1.70 US
    ouchhhh thats wayyy more than here.. sorry man

  19. #59
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    ouchhhh thats wayyy more than here.. sorry man
    thanks! but i could have bought a prius, guess it's my fault...

  20. #60
    Missing 4 Cylinders BULLET_WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Denton (Dallas)
    Posts
    10,577

    Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    thanks! but i could have bought a prius, guess it's my fault...
    true that... you pick the car for a reason what kind of octane do yall get there

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LS1 to LS6 conversion kit question
    By chevyin55 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 09:04 AM
  2. LS1 timing gear question
    By rbrack in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-18-2006, 03:25 PM
  3. LS1 with 6.0 heads question
    By aquickfive0 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 06:36 PM
  4. ls1 427 with mpg increase.
    By jonwrob in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 06:41 PM
  5. Tick-tick noise: LS1 vs. Northstar
    By Jack M in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •