Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Walbro fuel pump

This is a discussion on Walbro fuel pump within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yup pretty much how my OEM looked. The after market had a a single connector on top which I noticed ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yup pretty much how my OEM looked.

The after market had a a single connector on top which I noticed right away was'nt the same as the old one.

I immediately thought "oh no they gave me the wrong stuff!".

Like I was sayin' I just had to read the instructions first..

But I can totally understand you not wanting to cut stuff.

I fully figured you have the skill set to tackle it.

For me after having her flat bedded home I knew I wanted all new stuff, in an attempt to negate having to drop the tank and do it again for something I should have replaced while in there..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh,,,so it is plug and play??
    Yes after you combine the connectors as per instructions. I think it took me all of 5 minutes to solder it up on my bench.

Took longer to locate my flux paste than to do the actuall work..

So you mean it comes with a connector that will plug right into these factory weather pack connectors on top of the gas tank so I don't have to cut these off...???

And then the other end will plug right into the pump assembly (what ever type of plug it comes with)??

There are two plugs here, one runs the regulator, and the other runs the pump and sending unit.

So you are saying you modify the harness that it comes with,,,I"m not modifying the harness on the car in any way??

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yes

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Oi now I'm getting twisted around.. lol

Getting too old for multi-tasking lol..

Yes you're basicly setting up the new assembly to work with your old stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Oi now I'm getting twisted around.. lol

Getting too old for multi-tasking lol..

Yes you're basicly setting up the new assembly to work with your old stuff.
    Okay, now I don't mind doing that,, I just didn't want to cut on the cars harness at all.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Okay, now I don't mind doing that,, I just didn't want to cut on the cars harness at all.
    Yeah I should'nt have said that.. Sorry.

I should have been more clear on what you're cutting and what you're not cutting.

Just be sure to use the right pig tail for your car as it will likely have a couple different "extras" included.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy to all goes together and you don't have to spend 700+ @ the stealership to get a good part.

NAPA was also a long wait for mine as well.

I got mine expedited from Advance the next day ~noon iirc, and was up and running by supper..

They will even deliver to your shop!..

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I didn't read many of the responses but here's what you need.....read the description and it explains how it works.

Racetronix - F99 Fuel Pump Kit - Kit Configuration Page

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I didn't read many of the responses but here's what you need.....read the description and it explains how it works.

Racetronix - F99 Fuel Pump Kit - Kit Configuration Page
    Okay, Now I called Texas Speed about this pump just this morning. I was told this pump didn't have the necessary pressure feed line to fill the bucket. Funny that I'm reading this description and it specifically talks about it in the first paragraph about how important it is,,,,(just like I mentioned in an earlier post)

In the picture of the link you provided I can clearly see the little brass nipple at the top of the pump for the pressure feed line.

So which is it? Is the guy at Texas Speed wrong and passing misinformation,,,,or does the pump actually come equipped with the pressure fill nipple for the bucket?

If that's the case, I can use this pump in my current bucket setup and save myself a hell of alot of money,,,and have a higher pressure pump for the new engine to boot.

Edit: I'm looking at the racetronix pump on Texas Speeds website, can't see that brass nipple in the picture,,,,but I can see it in the link you provided. What gives?
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

there are 2 pumps....one for the 98's and one for the 99 +. The 98's don't have a bucket because the tank is metal and baffled. Wonder if they sent you the wrong pump?

98 kit
    Racetronix - F98 Fuel Pump Kit - Kit Configuration Page

there are 2 pumps....one for the 98's and one for the 99 +. The 98's don't have a bucket because the tank is metal and baffled. Wonder if they sent you the wrong pump?

98 kit

Racetronix - F98 Fuel Pump Kit - Kit Configuration Page
    I called them again. They don't even stock the 99 and up pumps because they never sell them. He told me they are basically a stock pump for about 400 hp. Since they sell so many of the 255 lph racetronix pumps that's all they carry.

He said he could get that pump for me (99 and up) but Racetronix is in Canada and it would be a week or more. Screw that.

So do I go with this other pump and eliminate the bucket feed line? I really hate to do that but he tells me everyone does it. Boy that's encouraging (not). I'm torn at what to do here

Called Texas Speed back. Appears there are 2 styles of the 99 and up pumps.

One is a stockish racetronix pump that has the nipple for the tiny line to pressurize fuel into the bucket.

The other is a high pressure 255 lph pump for 600 HP that doesn't have the nipple for the pressure line, yet the body is made differently to fit into the plastic bucket of the 99 and up Fbodies.

I ordered one of these to try just as UPS showed for pickups, thankfully he had it in stock so he rushed it onto the truck for a Saturday delivery. I paid extra for that but I want this damn thing done.

It's not going to have that pressure line fitting I suspect but it's still a 99 and up 255 pump.

I'd rather have the stock style racetronix with the feed line nipple (near stock pressure) but I'm not waiting for over a week for it to come from Canada. Texas Speed just doesn't stock that pump.

So frustrating, I just want to go back to working on the classic cars,,,ugh...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the first thing I would've done is contact racetronix about the pumps.......I don't know enough to call bullshit on what he's telling you but I'll say my bullshit meter is pegging.

Taken directly from their description of the 99 pump
    Tests in the field have proven the Racetronix F99+ system will support upwards of 600RWHP and 700RWTQ in some applications

Also....like mom used to say "If everyone jumps off a bridge does that doesn't mean you have to"
    That bucket is there for a reason and not hacked up. It helps keep the pump cool and will prolong the life of the pump. Cutting that bucket would be my very last option when there's a high HP upgraded pump available.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This is exactly why I just went with the whole nine from Advance.

By the time you get done spinning your wheels looking to make something work you could be done and down the road.

For me personally,, @ the time I already had a project that's hard to get good parts for..lol

the first thing I would've done is contact racetronix about the pumps.......I don't know enough to call bullshit on what he's telling you but I'll say my bullshit meter is pegging.

Taken directly from their description of the 99 pump
    Tests in the field have proven the Racetronix F99+ system will support upwards of 600RWHP and 700RWTQ in some applications

Also....like mom used to say "If everyone jumps off a bridge does that doesn't mean you have to"
    That bucket is there for a reason and not hacked up. It helps keep the pump cool and will prolong the life of the pump. Cutting that bucket would be my very last option when there's a high HP upgraded pump available.
    I feel the same way Orion, and I'm definately not cutting on the bucket. I can't call Racetronix directly,,,they don't supply a phone number, everything is contact via emails and that just takes too long. So I've been limited to calling suppliers of the Racetronix pump, and Texas Speed is the closest to me. John at Texas Speed says he sells alot of these 99 and up pumps without the small feeder line to fill the bucket. Now what I don't understand is why this hasn't been brought up before? With all the 99 and up 4th gens floating around, and all the discussion and complaining of changing a pump,,,why hasn't someone brought up the feeder line difference in these pumps? I don't recall ever reading that anywhere, Seems like a very critical part of the system to not mention it,,,don't you think?

The way John at Texas Speed explained it to me is that not only are there 2 different pumps (98 stands alone, and 99-02 is different) but there are also 2 different pumps for the 99-02 4th gens. You have the 255 lph racetronix that supports 600hp ($150),,,and I'm told it doesn't have the feeder valve for the bucket,,,,then you have the racetronix factory replacement pump considered a mild upgrade for $119,,,and that one has the 1/8" nipple for the feeder hose to fill the bucket.

Unfortunately this is the pump that John tells me Texas Speed never sells so they don't keep it in stock. Everyone wants the 600HP pump that sells for $150.

So how is everyone getting away with this pump in the 99 and up cars without a bucket hose to fill it? That's what I want to know....Are they drilling holes in the bucket? Cause I sure as hell ain't doing that. I can't wait over a week for the correct feeder pump to get down here from Canada either. Frustrating.

I guess I could check around at other Racetronix suppliers and see if they might have this elusive 99 and up pump with the feeder hose. In the mean time I have the other 99-up 255 lph 600HP pump on the way,,,but I'm still not sure I want to use it, could always send it back.

Worse case scenario I can run to Napa in the morning and get a factory style complete pump/bucket assembly and call it done for $498. Just a stock pump but I'd feel alot better having that feeder hose functioning like it should.

Here's what I have decided based on everything discussed here and info I've found.

I need to keep that feeder hose operational, no buts about it.

I'll wait till tomorrow for the Racetronix 255 lph 99 and up fuel pump to get here. If it doesn't have the 1/8" nipple for the feeder hose, and there isn't satisfactory instructions with the pump to explain why not to use the 1/8" feeder hose, then I'll be sending that pump back.

At that point tomorrow I'll have 2 options. Head up to Napa and get an OEM style setup complete with the bucket and sending unit for $498,,,,or call Texas Speed back, tell them to get me the other 99 and up Racetronix pump from Canada that is a stock LPH rating for $119, and sit here and wait another week while the car is tying up my rack. I've got a rearend to install and an exhaust to put on too, but the gas tank needs to be in there first.

I'll report back tomorrow when the Racetronix pump gets here and see what we have to work with....
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-07-2012 at 07:02 PM.

This is exactly why I just went with the whole nine from Advance.

By the time you get done spinning your wheels looking to make something work you could be done and down the road.
    I agree with that sentiment 100%. I had just never dreamed of the 99 and up setups to be exclusive with a feeder hose for the bucket to complicate things, and the fact that the aftermarket isn't recognizing this? That's just crazy. Otherwise this thing would have been done already.
    All the pumps I've done were on the older 4th gens so I've never run into this issue before. What I find more mind boggling is that I've never heard it mentioned anywhere.

Gots to be alot of 99 and up guys out there that have dealt with this.

We'll see tomorrow when the first attempt at a Racetronix pump gets here. I'll take some pics and post. If I'm not satisfied, it's going back. At that point I might be fed up and just run to Napa and be done with it. Not real sure I want to wait another week for a "CORRECT" pump from Racetronix to drop out of Canada.

There are alot of cliffs around here,,,wouldn't be too hard to just push this piece of crap right over the side and wash my hands of it Never had to go through so much headache for a stupid fuel pump.....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I agree with that sentiment 100%. I had just never dreamed of the 99 and up setups to be exclusive with a feeder hose for the bucket to complicate things, and the fact that the aftermarket isn't recognizing this? That's just crazy. Otherwise this thing would have been done already.
    All the pumps I've done were on the older 4th gens so I've never run into this issue before. What I find more mind boggling is that I've never heard it mentioned anywhere.

Gots to be alot of 99 and up guys out there that have dealt with this.

We'll see tomorrow when the first attempt at a Racetronix pump gets here. I'll take some pics and post. If I'm not satisfied, it's going back. At that point I might be fed up and just run to Napa and be done with it. Not real sure I want to wait another week for a "CORRECT" pump from Racetronix to drop out of Canada.

There are alot of cliffs around here,,,wouldn't be too hard to just push this piece of crap right over the side and wash my hands of it Never had to go through so much headache for a stupid fuel pump.....
    I hear you. In most of my older GM stuff with the pump in the tank, you just changed out the pump itself, put the new sock on, pluged it in and done.

This fuel pump assembly stuff is for the birds imho.

I hear you. In most of my older GM stuff with the pump in the tank, you just changed out the pump itself, put the new sock on, pluged it in and done.

This fuel pump assembly stuff is for the birds imho.
    Yep, all of them I've done were just as you described. Very simple. Nothing is easy anymore.
    Smittro likes this.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Truth!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information