Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

vibration

This is a discussion on vibration within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; gonna make one more go at things tomorrow after work got my new dampener yesterday, gonna put it on tomorrow ...

black
    2002 TA

gonna make one more go at things tomorrow after work

got my new dampener yesterday, gonna put it on tomorrow (wobbles all the time)
    going to check concentricity of the torque converter and adjust as required. maybe when i bolted the tc down it was out of round by a couple thou making the vibration
    hopefully one of those two things will be the source of the problem

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Sweet! I can't wait to hear about the final result...hopefully it solves your problem!! Also, I'm strongly considering that coverter, so I can't wait to hear your impressions of it.
    i'm excited, but don't want to get my hopes up yet. also the ups man still owes me a damn dip stick tube for the transmission. it was in cali last week. it's still in transit with one day left, that was 4 days ago. i guess the 4th of july weekend is holding things up.

well see, if it shows up tomorrow then i can drop everything off next week or weekend. then it's a matter when the builder gets to it. then it should be the cats meow.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by M-1000 View Post
    gonna make one more go at things tomorrow after work

got my new dampener yesterday, gonna put it on tomorrow (wobbles all the time)
    going to check concentricity of the torque converter and adjust as required. maybe when i bolted the tc down it was out of round by a couple thou making the vibration
    hopefully one of those two things will be the source of the problem
    you know out of all the dampener issues i have read about not a single one has said anything about having a vibration. hell most of them didn't even know there was a problem until they saw the dampener wobbling or about to fall off. not saying you don't need a new dampener, but i don't think it's likely to be the issue. hope i am wrong and you found you're problem, let us know what you find.

black
    2002 TA

couldnt do it tonight, guys brought a truck in on the alignment rack and disabled it. hopefully tomorrow

black
    2002 TA

unbolted the converter from the engine. no more vibration. engine runs great. bolt it back up, vibration comes right back. try a different set of holes, no difference. called B&M today, got the ball rolling. had to call mopac (where i bought the parts) to have them get things setup with B&M to get me a replacement converter ordered in.

not really looking forward to taking the trans back out, but its gotta be done

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by M-1000 View Post
    unbolted the converter from the engine. no more vibration. engine runs great. bolt it back up, vibration comes right back. try a different set of holes, no difference. called B&M today, got the ball rolling. had to call mopac (where i bought the parts) to have them get things setup with B&M to get me a replacement converter ordered in.

not really looking forward to taking the trans back out, but its gotta be done
    so glad you got you found the problem. josh just called and he has a slot open to work on the car. couldn't have picked a worse time, i have not worked much in 4 weeks and i dropped almost $900 on parts.. ugh.
    2004 yellow m6 ls somthing, lots of switches and stuff...

yellow
    2004 gto

speaking of new parts check out my new transmission fill tube i scored for $17 bucks.....new "ac delco" part#12552595..... whoot!

Last edited by jsmith564`; 07-07-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

yellow
    2004 gto

i dropped off all my parts today, had to run by the hardware store to get bolts for the tci deep pan. should be ready by tuesday. the starter ring on the flexplate was fucked, it was flush on one side and 1/4 the way off on the other. car also had two bolts missing from the bell-housing and what seemed to be like a truck converter. the trans fluid looked black and only had about 3 or 4 qts in the transmission when he removed the pan. i hope this will fix it for good.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    i dropped off all my parts today, had to run by the hardware store to get bolts for the tci deep pan. should be ready by tuesday. the starter ring on the flexplate was fucked, it was flush on one side and 1/4 the way off on the other. car also had two bolts missing from the bell-housing and what seemed to be like a truck converter. the trans fluid looked black and only had about 3 or 4 qts in the transmission when he removed the pan. i hope this will fix it for good.
    It should. So I was right. Someone WAS in that transmission before you bought the car. Sounds like misaligned parts and the car was NOT well taken care of by previous owner. Keep up the updates Jon. This car sounds like it WILL be a beast when finished.

yellow
    2004 gto

hope so... costing me a small fortune.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

hope so... costing me a small fortune.
    Well...HOPEFULLY your rear will hold up once the goodies go into that trans.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Well...HOPEFULLY your rear will hold up once the goodies go into that trans.
    please don't jinx me man..

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

please don't jinx me man..
    Sorry Jon.

yellow
    2004 gto

josh is done with the transmission, but i got an email asking what all i done to the car. i fear the worst. hahaha

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Huh? As in more mods? Or a wash?

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Huh? As in more mods? Or a wash?
    well i figure the only reason he was asking what all i had done to the car is that he is looking into something. he was just about done with the install and i asked how everything went, i have not heard anything back. i figure something didn't go right.. like the transmission and swapping out all the parts didn't fix the vibration. this is pure speculation, i just fear the worst.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Like the saying goes..."expect the worst and hope for the best."

yellow
    2004 gto

ok. the car is back together. ran into a couple snags, there was one bolt hole in the circle d flex plate which needed to be drilled slightly larger, so the trans had to be pulled back out. anywho, so the word is... after $2500 it's still f***ed up. something with the engine, i dunno what. wont find out till sometime next week. horse shit.......

direct quote from my man josh..

Unfortunately, the flex plate/converter replacement did not fix the vibration issue. But before getting upset about it, keep in mind the flex plate and converter were damaged so they had to be replaced to know for sure. It was not a waste of money by any means, as I showed you with the old flex plate, but we've still got a vibration issue.
    Last edited by jsmith564`; 07-15-2011 at 09:15 PM.

black
    2002 TA

what was damaged with the old flex plate and converter?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information