Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

vibration

This is a discussion on vibration within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i give in. it's in the trailer on it's way to the shop. i dont know whats wrong with it. ...

yellow
    2004 gto

i give in. it's in the trailer on it's way to the shop.

i dont know whats wrong with it. so i called up josh. i need the trans rebuilt anyway, he is going to built it up all nice. i'm going to get a tune and maybe some headers while i'm at it. i'm excited, but curious as to whats going on with the motor.

updates as i get them.

yellow
    2004 gto

double post

sorry about the side shot

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted.

black
    2002 TA

let me know what the shop finds so i know what direction to go in

i was messing around with my scanner today on the way to and from work. both pre-cat 02 sensors bounce around A LOT. 60mv - 100 mv - 800mv. always changing between those numbers. post cat sensors stay put 750-840 mv all the time. after i was driving for 25 minutes or so and everything was nice and hot i hit a red light. full stop, pre cat sensors dropped to 35mv and the engine started rumbling and shaking. going to pick up a propane torch tomorrow and do the o2 sensor test. also going to check for vacuum leaks. im almost leaning to the o2 sensors because of the erratic pre-cat readings.

the sensors will be up at 7xx mv and drop right to 60mv then bounce back to 7xx mv, all within as fast as my eyes can read the numbers on the scanner

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Pre-cat O2 sensors are supposed to bounce up and down alot. If they don't, then there is a problem.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Pre-cat O2 sensors are supposed to bounce up and down alot. If they don't, then there is a problem.
    yup!!! had that problem. driver side did'nt change it was stuck on a fixed XXX# while the passenger side switched. changed the drivers o2. no change(vibration). but it did need one.

no word on the car. josh is busy and has a few cars ahead of mine. when i know somthing i'll post it.

yellow
    2004 gto

talked to josh this morning. he has not spent much time working on the car but put it on the lift and said the tq converter and flex plate wobble like hell, which we all ready know.

he is thinking a bad flex plate. but wont know untill next week when he has more time to work on it.

two things,

does the stock flex plate have weights?

i was told the ls engine is balanced three ways damper, internal, and flex plate.

i didn't think the flex plate had weights.

black
    2002 TA

my stock flex plate had no balance weights on it. my new one (B&M SFI approved) had no weights either.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The LS1 is internally balanced. there shouldn't be any weights on the flexplate.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Any updates on this?

yellow
    2004 gto

not yet. but

this guy insists there are weights on the flywheel, tiny he said. i tell him i want to order a circle d 3200 and tci flexplate, mainly bc i know what i'm geting. he said he has a guy in al the builds race converters and he can throw on another stock flexplate and also adds that i dont need a sfi plate unless i'm making a ton of power. he also doesn't say who this "converter builder" is.

the trans is supposed to be "built" to stand 500hp, i asked what kind of hard parts are going in and he says clutches, servos, shift kit exc. and some amsoil for fluid

i'm feeling a little less then comfortable with my car in his hands at this point. i know the guy does good work. but it's the small things that are adding up and just bothers me. i let him tune my gto and he did great job, i loved the results. thats why i took him my car this time. he does have a lot of fbody cars around the shop. i guess i just feel like a simple thing such as a flexplate he should know there are no weights. but he insists there are.

i'm going to call him and just ask him what exactly i'm getting for my money, 1100 isn't a lot for a built transmission, but it is a lot of money in general

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yeah. Let us know. I am uncomfortable after reading that post. If he is familiar with F-Bodies, then he should ALREADY know what to do with your transmission and the components in that transmission.

black
    2002 TA

at work tonight while i was running a truck outside i finally dropped the pipes off of the cats. true cat-back exhaust, sounded AWESOME. vibration was gone, shaking interior was gone, hammering from the front end was gone. hook the pipes back up, it all came back. 99% sure my muffler is plugged and im getting wicked back pressure causing all of my issues. seeing as though we have the same symptoms id suggest you replace your muffler/do your exhaust

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by M-1000 View Post
    at work tonight while i was running a truck outside i finally dropped the pipes off of the cats. true cat-back exhaust, sounded AWESOME. vibration was gone, shaking interior was gone, hammering from the front end was gone. hook the pipes back up, it all came back. 99% sure my muffler is plugged and im getting wicked back pressure causing all of my issues. seeing as though we have the same symptoms id suggest you replace your muffler/do your exhaust
    this is a truck, not an fbody?

i hope you're right. you know i started to remove the bolts from the exhaust mainifolds to drop the cats but they were so tight i felt like it was going to break so i stopped. it would have to be in the cats, the muffler is new.

how about power loss? did you notice any after the problem started? it seems like my car had plenty of power, but then again it was a dud when i picked it up, so it has not ran right yet.
    Last edited by jsmith564`; 06-23-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Oh man. And we thought the exhaust was an issue before. Welp, if it is the exhaust, you'll have some more "OOMPF" once you get your car back Jon.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Oh man. And we thought the exhaust was an issue before. Welp, if it is the exhaust, you'll have some more "OOMPF" once you get your car back Jon.
    if i ever get it back rich...

hell the guy i took it to, to replace the transmission wont call me back. if/when he gets to it, it needed a trans rebuild anyway. i was going to try and squeeze a cam in there but i learned last week the company i work for just got bought out. two people have already left. so i don't want to piss away my money just in case it starts to storm you know what i mean.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I hear ya. If/when the trans guy calls back, let him know you just want the car put back together and then check the exhaust. I hate seeing someone spend a lot of money for a simple fix.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I hear ya. If/when the trans guy calls back, let him know you just want the car put back together and then check the exhaust. I hate seeing someone spend a lot of money for a simple fix.
    amen.. but my luck it's not the exhaust.

just last week i talked to him about a stall and flex plate. but now with work you know. but i sent him a pm on the forum he's on. i told him we need to talk, still nothing. he can't be THAT busy. jeez

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I hope he isn't holding the car prisoner. To me, that isn't right.

yellow
    2004 gto

on the forum no one has anything bad to say about him other then... not returning calls. i personally am not good at returning phone calls. then again i don't have customers either.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information