Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

vibration

This is a discussion on vibration within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by jsmith564` guys.. i'm in texas for a week for class but at dinner tonight i was thinking... ...

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    guys.. i'm in texas for a week for class but at dinner tonight i was thinking...

so i do not have a cel, i took it down the road couple miles, it's vibrating crazy now with the new mounts, but no cel. i figure it's bad enough that if it was somthing in the electonics the pcm would pick it up.

i'm thinking a spring, lifter, rocker, or push rod at this point. i hate to just throw parts at it.. but checking them should show weather or not i have a problem in that area and would cost me just my time and labor. problem is i have never been that deep into a motor and may not know what i'm looking for other then obvious damage to a part.

let me know if you guys think i'm on the right track... i think i am. i know the car was owned by a teen, he hammered on it hard when we test drove it. so i'm going to say that motor spent some time in the upper rpm's quite a few times.

ok.. so thats what i have for now, as always ideas are welcome..
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    i want to recap what i have done

msd 8.5 wires
    ngk plugs
    new o2's
    new poly mm's

checked visualy
    trans mount
    balancer

tested
    compression 185psi +/-
    unbolting tq converter
    removing belts
    scanned pcm is clean
    OK. Now I am wondering if this kid might have done a cam swap and didn't tell you. I am also wondering if the cam is stock, if a lobe is worn out. Have you checked your MAF to see if it's clean? You could have a dirty MAF and not have a CEL(it has happened to me). Check the valvetrain and let us know what you find. Could be a bent pushrod or valve. Could be so minor yet so baffling.

If you have a long socket extension, you can use that as a "stethoscope" and hold it against the valve cover to hear any odd noises before you pull the valve covers off for inspections.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Some vibrations are load sensitive, so you have to be driving around to load up the engine a little bit. But if it vibrates without load (just reving it up), then unbolting the torque converter would prove whether its the TC and/or trans causing the vibe or if the vibe is engine related.
    Thanks for the info. Is this a major job, or is it just a matter of pulling the inspection cover and removing the bolts? Tranny and TC don't need to be removed at all, correct?

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is this a major job, or is it just a matter of pulling the inspection cover and removing the bolts? Tranny and TC don't need to be removed at all, correct?
    just remove the starter unbolt tq converter...

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    OK. Now I am wondering if this kid might have done a cam swap and didn't tell you. I am also wondering if the cam is stock, if a lobe is worn out. Have you checked your MAF to see if it's clean? You could have a dirty MAF and not have a CEL(it has happened to me). Check the valvetrain and let us know what you find. Could be a bent pushrod or valve. Could be so minor yet so baffling.

If you have a long socket extension, you can use that as a "stethoscope" and hold it against the valve cover to hear any odd noises before you pull the valve covers off for inspections.
    i'm sure it's the stock cam. warn lobe is possible. i cant remember if i have checked the MAF or not, but i will just to make sure. i think a valetrain check is in order. i hope i have the time to get on it after class this week.

you guys that are keeping up with this you're help in much appreciated. i will start the working on it as soon as i can and update as well.

yellow
    2004 gto

i should be able to get into the motor this weekend. i want to pull the valve covers and see what i find.

how do i check the springs, rockers, and push rods other then just looking at them? if it looks fucked up then i know there is a problem, but can anyone tell me the right way of checking them?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When my engine went, the tech spotted another valve spring that was shot. It had a "beehive" look to it. Toward the bottom of the spring, it was bulged out.

yellow
    2004 gto

i pulled the rockers and rolled the push rods on a flat surface. i did'nt find anything that cought my eye. rockers looked fine. springs looked good. nothing odd found laying around in the heads.

i'm shooting in the dark now. i do not know what else to do. lol.

bad lifter(s)?
    bad cam?

would a bad transmission mount cause bad vibrations? i'm 2nd guessing my trans mount even if it looked ok.

maybe there is nothing wrong at all with the motor. i dont know. i'm at the end of my rope with ideas. is there anyone in or near covington who is willing to check this thing out and make any suggestions?

yellow
    2004 gto

weak coil?
    weak injector?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Do you know anyone with a similar Camaro of the same year? If so, go for a spin with them to see if their car vibrates the same.

yellow
    2004 gto

no sir. i dont know anyone. there is a guy on this forum who lives in covington who has a stalled camaro. he gave me his number once but i lost it!!!!!!!!!!

i know it's not a normal for this car to vibrate like this. i just would like to figure out weather or not it's in the engine so it does not do any damage to it. i could live with it i guess or at least drive it like it is for now as long as i knew for sure it's not killing my engine. i know i'll figure out sooner or later whats causeing the problem.. i would just like it to be sooner.

i have had this car for a year and have not been able to drive it yet in fear of doing further damage.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Check the trans mount again. It could be worn or broken and your torque arm should be checked as well. I am still thinking your vibration is in the trans tunnel somewhere. Also check your front swaybar. It could be off center and rubbing.

yellow
    2004 gto

guys i took a video. it's about 8 mins long and i cant upload it to photobucket and youtube quit on me after 25%.

is there anyway i can post the video? i need eveyone to take a look at it to help me figure out whats going on.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sounds like your antivirus or firewall is on high alert or something. I am STILL thinking it is chassis related and not engine related. Are you absolutely positive nothing under the car is hitting the trans tunnel, etc? I have this nagging feeling something suspension/subframe related is being transmitted from the engine to the unibody.

yellow
    2004 gto

i am having my doubts on what it is at this point. but i would think if the trans was hitting the body or somthing to that effect(metal on metal) i would know. but i will check for missing/lose bolts in the k member and take a good look around just to be sure.

it does not seem to me that somthing is hitting anything. to me it seems somthing is out of balance. and in the video (if i can ever upload it) i think you'll be able to get an idea of whats going on.

i spent two hours on youtube only to have an error at 25% upload
    Last edited by jsmith564`; 04-17-2011 at 04:40 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

As long as the video is under 15 minutes and 1GB, it should upload to YouTube. Maybe try again
    Last edited by Cutlass; 04-17-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: corrected info

yellow
    2004 gto

ummm, it's 8 mins and 643.1mb i used a nikon coolpix s3000 for video

i need this video up and running.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Sorry, my info was old. I corrected to the newer limit which apparently is 15 minutes and 1GB

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The thing that I'm thinking is that the vibrations are being transmitted to the body somehow. Like something connected to the engine that is supposed to be away from the body is coming into contact with the body. With my previous car, I had driven over a speed bump and my car developed a vibration. Turned out my exhaust pipe had hit the speed bump and bent upward causing the vibration through the floorboard. I put my car up on the lift and pulled the pipe down with a prybar and all was good. If you pulled the belt, trans, valvetrain and you STILL get a vibration, then I am going with something underneath the car since if it were the crank being out of balance you would have a knock or some audible noise from the bottom end of the motor. I'm going to ask you this...does that car have some sort of engine bracing like a "stiffy" or a chain that is bolted from the engine to the engine bay or something?

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

I have a 2002 camaro A4 z28 and I inspected as did 2 master mechanics. Its the nature of the beast they say.

I know that vibration in which you speak of. Its annoying but if you can floor your car and it not break anything your good.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Hot head View Post
    I have a 2002 camaro A4 z28 and I inspected as did 2 master mechanics. Its the nature of the beast they say.

I know that vibration in which you speak of. Its annoying but if you can floor your car and it not break anything your good.
    i'm trying to argue with anyone, but this is not the nature of the beast. somthing is wrong with the car. i'm going to get more video today. lets see what we find.......

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information