Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

vibration

This is a discussion on vibration within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; from what i've read the poly motor mounts are smooth as silk, the solid motor mounts vibrate at idle and ...

yellow
    2004 gto

from what i've read the poly motor mounts are smooth as silk, the solid motor mounts vibrate at idle and go away once off idle.

i'm going to add a stall converter and i dont want to waste money trashing oem mounts.the trans mount i my stay oem, i see where alot of people are having alot of vibration threw them.

i dont mind some vibration, like having turn downs before the axle and such. but what i'm going threw with what i have right now is'nt normal for a stock car.

little to mild vibration is ok = muscle car
    my current vibration = somthings broke

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    well now we tore the whole Escalade engine out and apart and we didn't find anything wrong. So now we are gonna put the engine back together and replace the motor mounts and see how that goes.
    Just wanted to update this progress so far in case it helps anyone.
    Well...I'm not sure why, but the plans changed. They decided to replace the engine with a new one. That didn't fix it.
    So they swapped y-pipes and catback exhaust from another truck. That didn't fix it.
    I'm not sure what these guys are thinking. I keep telling them to replace the engine mounts...but they're not hearing it...I keep you guys updated.

yellow
    2004 gto

crazy.

i'm still on the fence on weather to go poly or solid. i want poly but dont have a shop so i'll be on the ground, i was thinking solids will be a quick install.

unless i had someone's old motor mounts where i could have the poly mounts already ready to go in. anyone care to donate their old unused f body ls1 motor mounts? pm me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    crazy.

i'm still on the fence on weather to go poly or solid. i want poly but dont have a shop so i'll be on the ground, i was thinking solids will be a quick install.

unless i had someone's old motor mounts where i could have the poly mounts already ready to go in. anyone care to donate their old unused f body ls1 motor mounts? pm me!!!!!!!!!!!!
    To get the old ones out of the shell you just need a grinder, hammer and center punch.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Just wanted to update this progress so far in case it helps anyone.
    Well...I'm not sure why, but the plans changed. They decided to replace the engine with a new one. That didn't fix it.
    So they swapped y-pipes and catback exhaust from another truck. That didn't fix it.
    I'm not sure what these guys are thinking. I keep telling them to replace the engine mounts...but they're not hearing it...I keep you guys updated.
    Newest update. They swapped motor mounts from another Escalade. Vibration is still there. Not sure what they are gonna do next.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Newest update. They swapped motor mounts from another Escalade. Vibration is still there. Not sure what they are gonna do next.
    wonder if a body mount is busted or something? It sounds like they've swapped the entire drive train out.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah its crazy. You can duplicate it in the shop. Put it in drive, hold the brake and ease into the throttle and the engine vibrates rapidly. It's like normal engine vibration only really strong. We have a vibration analyzer tool and it says its vibrating at 70 HTz. The GM engineers are stumped.

Compared to several other Escalades and none them do to.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah its crazy. You can duplicate it in the shop. Put it in drive, hold the brake and ease into the throttle and the engine vibrates rapidly. It's like normal engine vibration only really strong. We have a vibration analyzer tool and it says its vibrating at 70 HTz. The GM engineers are stumped.

Compared to several other Escalades and none them do to.
    wow this is very interesting. Keep us posted. It sounds like it has to do with the body/chassis itself. Maybe tranny issue?

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    To get the old ones out of the shell you just need a grinder, hammer and center punch.
    what i want to do is have a set made ready to go when i pull mine out. i dont have a shop so i'll be working in the dirt. having premade motor mounts ready to go will make the install a little faster/easier.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Update on the Escalade vibe. The owner came in and went for a roadtest with our service manager. About 3 miles down the road, the owner says "Well, clearly the vibration is fixed." So apparently the vibration was so much less that he thinks its fixed. Talking to the tech that worked on it, he said it was alot better after replacing the engine and was more difficult to duplicate. He's not sure if the engine "fixed" it or just removing and reinstalling everything made the big difference.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I have a similar issue, I think.

Here's the thread...

Wierd vibration in Drive...

Is it like that?

And I never did figure this out.... I parked the car for the winter, I haven't driven it since beginning of Dec.

I'm going to look into the problem again when spring hits.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I have a similar issue, I think.

Here's the thread...

Wierd vibration in Drive...

Is it like that?

And I never did figure this out.... I parked the car for the winter, I haven't driven it since beginning of Dec.

I'm going to look into the problem again when spring hits.

if you're asking me no. mine is islolated to just the motor. and i'm 99.9% sure my mounts are shot. i just dont have the time to swap them out yet. but i will soon and give an update when i do.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Update on the Escalade vibe. The owner came in and went for a roadtest with our service manager. About 3 miles down the road, the owner says "Well, clearly the vibration is fixed." So apparently the vibration was so much less that he thinks its fixed. Talking to the tech that worked on it, he said it was alot better after replacing the engine and was more difficult to duplicate. He's not sure if the engine "fixed" it or just removing and reinstalling everything made the big difference.
    Update: The guy brought is Escalade back complaining of the vibration again. We now think its the torque converter or the flexplate. The Service Manager is having a heart attack trying to get these warranty claim "guesses" paid for. I'm not sure we're gonna be allowed to try again...we'll see.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Update: The guy brought is Escalade back complaining of the vibration again. We now think its the torque converter or the flexplate. The Service Manager is having a heart attack trying to get these warranty claim "guesses" paid for. I'm not sure we're gonna be allowed to try again...we'll see.
    It's not a false knock, is it? Possibly a bad knock sensor or PCM causing a false knock? That is odd.

yellow
    2004 gto

update no pictures but i'm halfway done with the motor mounts..

we got the passenger side in.. from the way everyone makes it sound i thought it was going to be alot harder then it was. it was'nt easy but it was'nt all that bad.

i did'nt have to remove the ac compressor to change the passenger side, but i did remove the starter. all in all with a 30min break it took me about two hours to replace the passenger side. thats pulling it out, drilling it, and reinstalling it. i did'nt have any trouble with bolts lining up at all. i removed the pedestal bolts the 18mm bolt and wiggled out the clam shell. and i installed the 18mm bolt in backwards when i put it back together. worked out great.

i started on the drivers but i dont know what the F*** i'm going to do.. i thought it was going to be the easier one. i got all the bolts loose but the steering link needs to come off, i left off at that because it was getting late and we had a big get together at the house.

i can already tell you that i think i was right when i said my motor mounts was shot, once i drilled out the passenger clam shell the motor mount fell out.. lol yup. shot. the new poly mounts are going to make such a difference i cant wait to test them out. till tomarrow.
    Last edited by jsmith564`; 03-19-2011 at 06:35 PM.

yellow
    2004 gto

so excited i cant sleep..

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The proof will be once the mounts are installed. Will you still have that pesky vibration? Or will you have more "OOMPH" once you hit the go pedal?

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    The proof will be once the mounts are installed. Will you still have that pesky vibration? Or will you have more "OOMPH" once you hit the go pedal?
    i'm about 3 bolts away from junking this car...

one a side note.

motor mounts are a sob. i spent all damn day removing the drivers motor mount and the steering rack.. gm did people a favor in 2002 with the rack and thats put the bolts in threw the k member with nuts on top. not bad untill they were tq so tight i broke my wrench.

after i got back from town (getting new tools) i had the rack in, and had the drivers mount already replaced bolted to the motor all i had to do was bolt the pedestal to the k member thats where the whole thing went south.

i could not get the bolts in.. i tried, i tried and i tried. after doing it this way and that way i some how damaged three bolt holes in the k member. i have some tools at the shop i might be able to fix it with. but this is turning into a job. i'm not even sure this is a one man job, but i have no one who is going to help so i have to figure it out somehow.

fml

end rant........

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

bummer

yellow
    2004 gto

alright, so i tapped out the bolt holes in the k member and it worked out fine. i bolted the pedestal to the k member and the motor mount to the motor, but i can't get bolt hole for the long 18mm bolt to line up.. i tried and pried but i could not line it up.

any ideas guys? i pulled the alternator, steering linkage so i have some room. i thought about wedgeing a small air bag in that space and air it up to push the motor over towards the passenger side.

before i go threw all that i would like to head some ideas...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information