Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: vibration

yellow
    2004 gto

vibration

2002 ss camaro. has 80,000 miles and is an a4.

i have been working on this vibration bug for a while. here is what i have done.

new plugs, wires. i removed the torque converter bolts, removed the main drive belt, cranked the car. it vibrates the same..

used my scanner to check the electric stuff, scanner says ok.

at idle i dont notice it, as soon as you apply the gas you know. the more gas you give it the smoother the vibration gets.

the car was owned by a high school kid. nuff said. i'm stumped here. the engine seems fine, no strange ticks, clacks, bangs and so on. just this very very annoying vibration.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    2002 ss camaro. has 80,000 miles and is an a4.

i have been working on this vibration bug for a while. here is what i have done.

new plugs, wires. i removed the torque converter bolts, removed the main drive belt, cranked the car. it vibrates the same..

used my scanner to check the electric stuff, scanner says ok.

at idle i dont notice it, as soon as you apply the gas you know. the more gas you give it the smoother the vibration gets.

the car was owned by a high school kid. nuff said. i'm stumped here. the engine seems fine, no strange ticks, clacks, bangs and so on. just this very very annoying vibration.

Checked the tranny/engine mounts could be a problem just saying!!

yellow
    2004 gto

epic fail on my part.. i hope it's the mounts

you really think so? if so, how would you check the engine mounts? the tranny would be a cake.. but how about the motor?

Red
    1999 Grand Prix GTP

maybe the harmonic balancer? im just shooting at the dark here...

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

just a random thought, are there headers or aftermarket Y pipe? when i first put mine one the Y was touching the floor board causing a crazy vibrating,,,,, just saying.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    just a random thought, are there headers or aftermarket Y pipe? when i first put mine one the Y was touching the floor board causing a crazy vibrating,,,,, just saying.
    I had the same problem, but it was pretty obvious what it was. I'm thinking motor mounts. Maybe tranny mount. Those are the two places where the drivetrain is actually connected to the body.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Yea I have heard the tranny mount will cause this problem I have already replaced mine with a poly mount, it's easy to do and could be a quick fix

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Mine was ready to let go when I changed it. I need to install the engine mounts I have in the garage. And the headers.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

can you describe the vibration a little better? Do it in gear? Out of gear? Both? Sound like it's coming from the front, center, or rear of the car? Metal on metal sound or dull thud type vibration?

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    can you describe the vibration a little better? Do it in gear? Out of gear? Both? Sound like it's coming from the front, center, or rear of the car? Metal on metal sound or dull thud type vibration?
    the car is all stock. 2002 ss ls1 a4 80,000 miles

well it's in the rpm's, there is no sound, or tapping. nothing is hitting anything. it's like a really bad unbalanced tire, but it's just in the rpm range.

here is what i have done so far. i did have a misfire at one point. so all new plugs and msd wires and every single wire is on right and tight. new o2's because the scanner said so.

at this point nothing changed, still vibrateing the same.

now i pull the belt off and unbolt the torque converter to isolate the engine.. the vibration is still there. not better or wrose, same. the ballancer looks good just by looking at it. bolt is tight. i used a compression tester and all cylinders 180+psi

i put the car back together, and ran the car to temp. check all fluids exc.. and notice at idle the motor is bouncy. kinda shakes like it has a cam. i pull the e brake and chock the wheels and open the throttle blade by hand. the motor does seem to move a good bit.

so at this point i think the mounts are the problem. any input?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

normally if you have a busted motor mount when you rev the motor it'll torque over to one side quite a bit. What you're describing doesn't sound to me like a mount but without being there I'm just guessing here. When you unbolted the converter did you happen to check the flywheel for cracks? Not sure what your level of experience is but would you know by looking/hearing it if it were a misfire or not? Not trying to insult your intelligence.....just not sure what your level of experience is with engines. If it's not a misfire IMO it'd almost have to be a cracked flywheel or bent/loose balancer.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when it's vibrating is it a continuous vibration or does it kinda come and go? Sounds like it's only doing it when the revs are raised so it's not doing it at idle?

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    when it's vibrating is it a continuous vibration or does it kinda come and go? Sounds like it's only doing it when the revs are raised so it's not doing it at idle?
    i guess it does it at idle and gets more viloent as the rpms go up but starts to get less viloent after so many rpms. the vibration is there, just not as bad as it is in the lower rpms.

i'm 99% sure there is no misfire. i dont know how to explain it any better, but after watching the motor sit in the car and shake at idle like is has a cam just makes me think it's the mounts. i'm going to order new mounts sooner or later and then i'll update.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Interesting. We have an Escalade in the shop right now doing the same thing. We can't figure it out. Seems like engine is out of balance. We tried a balancer and that didn't fix it. We are thinking the motor mounts are worn out and transmitting more vibration then normal.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

well now we tore the whole Escalade engine out and apart and we didn't find anything wrong. So now we are gonna put the engine back together and replace the motor mounts and see how that goes.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Oh and another possiblity for a engine vibration is overfilled oil. the oil can wrap up on the crank and throw it out of balance. I'm guessing thats not your issue though.

yellow
    2004 gto

no. i just had changed the oil.

i am 90% sure it's the mounts.

i did a compression check all 8 was 180+ psi. i unbolted the converter and removed the main belt and nothing changed.

i put the car back together, and let it warm up to temp. i watched the motor run just puzzled at what it could be, and i noticed it kinda rocked back and fourth. as if it had a cam kinda.

i pulled the e brake and put it in gear and gave it gas by hand and the motor moved a good bit. so i'm pretty sure thats my problem.

the car runs to sweet, to be a misfire or anything wrong with the engine itself.

yellow
    2004 gto

i'm going to summit tomarrow to pick up motor mounts, any one recomend mounts that are better then oem but not for all out race?

this is a project car that's being built mainly for street, some strip.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I would think you'd want OEM mounts for the most vibration control/dampening. I think poly mounts might transmit more vibes.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I would think you'd want OEM mounts for the most vibration control/dampening. I think poly mounts might transmit more vibes.
    Yup that's I was thinking too but the OEM are expensive. I didn't know if the ones listed on Gmpartdirect are the correct ones and if they sold as a pair. I guess I'll give the poly's a try.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 02-06-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information