Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

valve cover too low

I just installed a new comp cam with comp cams beehive springs and chrome moly push rods. The roller rockers I bought were from PRW in California. They advertise direct bolt on with out modification, they are 15-5 stainless with screw instuds and guide plates. Very nice looking and appear to be well built. The only problem is now my valve cover don't fit. I could go to 1/2" risers but that is a last resort. Did GM put a taller valve cover on any other LS1 like the vette? How about the LS2? Will they even fit? I have a 2001 with the 4 bolt center pattern.
    Not wanting to wait to drive my car I have put the stock rockers back on. I have a bunch of money in the others so I need to find a solution

red
    2000TA

remove the baffles on the inside of the valve covers,use a drill or a dremel to grind down the rivits.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I looked at that option but was thinking it might suck oil. What do you think?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Convert to the LS6 valley cover PCV system to solve that problem. You can add a catch can while you're at it for extra measure.
    LS6 PCV conversion

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

problem solved

Problem solved! KMJ Perfomance offered refund. I had to take a 15% restocking hit but was real happy to get most of my money back. 15% was way cheaper than new tall valve cover, valve cover spacers or hacking the baffles out of my factory covers then finding out they still would probably hit.
    The guys at KMJ performance were great and easy to deal with. I would look to them for future needs.

Good to hear they took care of you. Too bad you couldn't make them work. I wonder what is so different about them that make them hit.

I have the Crane full roller rockers on my wifes car with the scew in studs and guide plates, fully adjustable. The stock covers go on fine with no issues.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

You can look at them here http://www.kmjent.com/cart/product.p...0164567&page=1
    They are real good looking and well built. They do have a little more weight than stock but I believe by actually having them in my hand they are stronger also. They are taller from the bottom of the trunion to the top. They are also wider. The stock cover is not very high to start with I wonder how much total clearance there actually is under there with stock rockers.

Good looking piece, and made of stainless too. Most of the weight is centered over the fulcrum much like all rollers are made, so it doesn't matter much. It's weight over the nose that is generally the issue.

Too bad they wouldn't fit under the stock covers, not sure what is so different about them.

Here is a somewhat crude shot of the Crane's installed on my wifes SS. These are aluminum construction and are similar in size to the Harland Sharp versions (Harlands are not adjustable however) They fit under the stock covers without any trimming of anything. The valvetrain on these LS heads sits pretty far down into the head. On Gen 1 motors I build with roller rockers, I generally have to double gasket stock type valve covers to clear rollers, so as to keep the stock outside appearance of the engine. Not an option with LS valve covers unfortunately since they use those skinny rubber seals.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I have a set of Scorpion rollers that will be here on Friday. I wish I had watched this before I bought the KMJ but then I think the KMJ might have been better if they had fit.
    I will take a photo and post it before I close it up.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 10-13-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: removed non-sponsor direct link

Please do, and let me know how that turns out.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

UMI makes spacers for around $100 that will keep your stock valve covers and give you more room under them.
    valve cover spacers

Wow thanks Orion, I had no idea they were made for LS motors. I've seen them and used them before on old iron when doubling the gaskets isn't enough, cost is about the same.

Orion is a wealth of info, if it's out there forsale somewhere, he'll find it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

ehhh id return those scorpion rockers as soon as you get them.....why are you so dead set on replacing your rockers ??? and better yet..why arent you looking into rockers from respectable shops within the lsx community like crane, comp, lunati ?

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    UMI makes spacers for around $100 that will keep your stock valve covers and give you more room under them.
    valve cover spacers
    I was thinking, might need longer plug wires using these spacers?? Just to give a little more wiggle room? Aren't the plug wires made for the trucks supposed to be longer than the 4th gen wires? I know the wires on both of my cars are pretty much at their limit as far as being as short as they can be.
    Just thinking about options and thought you might know.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I was thinking, might need longer plug wires using these spacers?? Just to give a little more wiggle room? Aren't the plug wires made for the trucks supposed to be longer than the 4th gen wires? I know the wires on both of my cars are pretty much at their limit as far as being as short as they can be.
    Just thinking about options and thought you might know.
    yeah, you'd definitely need longer wires. I know you can buy moroso ultra 40's in 12" lengths for taller valve covers but I would probably just make my own for the extra distance. I'm not sure on the truck wires.....I believe you're correct but don't know for sure.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah I think your right about the truck wire being longer. I seem to remember comparing then side by side once.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ehhh id return those scorpion rockers as soon as you get them.....why are you so dead set on replacing your rockers ??? and better yet..why arent you looking into rockers from respectable shops within the lsx community like crane, comp, lunati ?
    ehhh id return those scorpion rockers as soon as you get them.....Why? because they are good quality and made in America? You really need to check out their website

why are you so dead set on replacing your rockers ??? you are still very young and have not learned much about friction ?

and better yet..why arent you looking into rockers from respectable shops within the lsx community like crane, comp, lunati ?
    Quality, Again..you really need to check out their web site

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by timowen1 View Post
    ehhh id return those scorpion rockers as soon as you get them.....Why? because they are good quality and made in America? You really need to check out their website

why are you so dead set on replacing your rockers ??? you are still very young and have not learned much about friction ?

and better yet..why arent you looking into rockers from respectable shops within the lsx community like crane, comp, lunati ?
    Quality, Again..you really need to check out their web site
    dont let my age fool you...also dont let websites (especially sponsors fool you)

are you running a high ramp lobe? are these being installed on a stock set up? what heads are you running etc.. by all means if you are going to be running over a .550 lift get Aftermarket rockers as the stock rocker arms are known to scrub past that and cause extreme wear on the guides.

how much do those scorpions weight ? how much weight is over the tip ? i am sure you will know these things..or know that scorpions are notorious for developing stress cracks in fairly short mileage ...

i will give you my advice ..take it or leave it..it is your engine ..but if you are stock ..keep the rocker arms stock..if you arent and are running over a .550 lift i would follow the advice of tony mamo and brian tooley(sp) , katech and other highly knowledgeable shops/people in the community and go aftermarket ..but be warned they aren't all equal and you get what you pay for...most will tell you the yella terra ultra lites are some of the best ..that has been told to me by most of those people i just listed ....

or you can run those scorpion rockers and ignore my advice becuase they are made in America..and then when they let go..you can go and support a American machine shop or performance shop and drop thousands into fixing the damage those American rocker arms did to your engine....

pieces are cheap for a reason..pieces are popular for a reason (reliable, fast, cheap) pick your two
    Last edited by shady milkman; 10-15-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Thread Information