Thread: v6 swap

blue
    94 Camaro

Question v6 swap

I know there is going to be issues with doing a 3.4 swap to a 350. What I want to know is what all HAS to be changed to do this? Should i go with a carb enigine vs injection? Will a cab fit? What do i need to look for ect. I've heard and read the cross member has to be changed and i also want to install a manual trans.
    What am i looking at here money wise and parts wise doing it myself? any help thanks.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

in all honesty for the price it will cost you a 98-02 z28/formula/trans am can be purchased...

you're looking at full suspension replacement, new rear, etc etc...

carb is more of a personal preference...

all in all i'd say your going to spend an easy $8,000.00...

blue
    94 Camaro

Will a carb engine fit in the camaro without cutting the cowl/windshield? I want to put a blower or a turbo on a 350 but dont really know if it will fit. Im on a budget build so how should i go about this the body and interior have already been done i just dont want to buy a new car. Second option would be built a sleeper with a v6 what can i do to the 3.4 thats in there now if anything at all? Or could i do better with a 3.8?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro1994 View Post
    Will a carb engine fit in the camaro without cutting the cowl/windshield? I want to put a blower or a turbo on a 350 but dont really know if it will fit. Im on a budget build so how should i go about this the body and interior have already been done i just dont want to buy a new car. Second option would be built a sleeper with a v6 what can i do to the 3.4 thats in there now if anything at all? Or could i do better with a 3.8?
    i have to ask what your interest is in a carb... with fuel injection you have more control (i.m.o.)... i'm not sure how a carb works with OBDII...

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

well what year is your camaro?
    Actually the v6s have the same 10 bolt rear end and suspension so you dont need to take it that far. As far as the swap you are gonna need a ecu and a whole new wiring harness, power steering pumps, etc basically everything under the hood cause the v6 and v8 eng are absolutely not compatible with each other

black
    1999 firebird

if you can find a cheap donaor, then you will need the entire engine harness, engine and front suspension, trans and k-member

blue
    94 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jakez28 View Post
    well what year is your camaro?
    Actually the v6s have the same 10 bolt rear end and suspension so you dont need to take it that far. As far as the swap you are gonna need a ecu and a whole new wiring harness, power steering pumps, etc basically everything under the hood cause the v6 and v8 eng are absolutely not compatible with each other
    its a 94 base

blue
    94 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i have to ask what your interest is in a carb... with fuel injection you have more control (i.m.o.)... i'm not sure how a carb works with OBDII...
    im just looking for better performance for a daliy driver on the road. Right know i have a 3.4 with about 260,000 miles on it and i want to up grade it. cheapest way possible at this time.

White
    97 3.8L Firebird 5 Speed

just buy a newer F-body with the LT1 or LS1, it would cost much less then swapping it in yourself

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Why not give the 3.4 v8 power instead and save the weight and $$ ?? 3500 heads, cam, headers, and some other goodies. Hell 3500 heads alone will get you over 200hp.. There's a little more to the heads swap but not much @ all.. 350 sbc hp numbers from the era are easily obtainable with a 60* v6. Many interchangable parts, good after market stuff. You can get forged anything for them too. If you want to get radical you could get a set of twin McClareron(sp) 3.1L hair dryers for it.. The weakest link in the entire stock setup is that extremely restrictive "Y" shaped UI on the Camaro version 3.4L. There's imho already a whole different engine waiting under your hood if you're willing to put the time in. Parts are cheap for the single camers too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-21-2010 at 03:16 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

blue
    94 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Why not give the 3.4 v8 power instead and save the weight and $$ ?? 3500 heads, cam, headers, and some other goodies. Hell 3500 heads alone will get you over 200hp.. There's a little more to the heads swap but not much @ all.. 350 sbc hp numbers from the era are easily obtainable with a 60* v6. Many interchangable parts, good after market stuff. You can get forged anything for them too. If you want to get radical you could get a set of twin McClareron(sp) 3.1L hair dryers for it.. The weakest link in the entire stock setup is that extremely restrictive "Y" shaped UI on the Camaro version 3.4L. There's imho already a whole different engine waiting under your hood if you're willing to put the time in. Parts are cheap for the single camers too..
    Thanks for the idea, thats sound like a great route to take, can you point me in right direction as far as sites, videos, info on the head swap, where i can find the parts or interchangeable parts off what vehicles.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thanks for the idea, thats sound like a great route to take, can you point me in right direction as far as sites, videos, info on the head swap, where i can find the parts or interchangeable parts off what vehicles.
    Good place to start is 60dgreev6.com. The site is where it's @ as far 60* v6's. Forcedfirebird could be a help in detail on what you'll need for the swap..
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-22-2010 at 12:10 PM.

blue
    94 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Good place to start is 60dgreev6.com. The site is where it's @ as far 60* v6's. Forcedfirebird could be a help in detail on what you'll need for the swap..
    What model/years have the 3500 heads? Also I was trying to find some info on these heads and i was wondering what is the differecne in the stock 3.4 heads and the 3500's. Will the 3500's bolt right on to the 3.4 or is there some mods i need to do? I not the most car savey but learning quickly! Thank you for your help. All this info has made up my mind for now I'll do the head swap cam and headers maybe even a turbo. If there is anything else i can do to the engine PLEASE feel free to let me know!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

What model/years have the 3500 heads? Also I was trying to find some info on these heads and i was wondering what is the differecne in the stock 3.4 heads and the 3500's. Will the 3500's bolt right on to the 3.4 or is there some mods i need to do? I not the most car savey but learning quickly! Thank you for your help. All this info has made up my mind for now I'll do the head swap cam and headers maybe even a turbo. If there is anything else i can do to the engine PLEASE feel free to let me know!
    3500 is a front wheel drive engine (mostly). The heads are direct bolt ons but you'll need some other things like rockers and push rods from the (HV) 3.1L iirc. 3500 heads flow so much better than the 3.4L single cam heads do.

The High Value engine family from General Motors is a group of Cam in Block or "Overhead valve" V6 engines. They use the same 60° vee bank as the 60° V6 family they are based on, but the new 99 mm (3.9 in) bore required offsetting the bores by 1.5 mm (0.1 in) away from the engine centerline. These engines (aside from the LX9) are the first cam in block engines to implement Variable Valve Timing, and won the 2006 Breakthrough Award from Popular Mechanics for this innovation. For the model year 2007 the 3900 engine features optional displacement on demand, or what is now called "Active Fuel Management" which can deactivate one bank of cylinders under light load to increase economy. It was rumored GM would produce a 3-valve design, but that never came to be. These engines are produced primarily at the GM UAW factory in Tonawanda, New York.

LX9
    The LX9 3500 is an OHV engine based on the 3400 V6. It incorporates electronic throttle control. Bore is 94 mm (3.7 in), stroke is 84 mm (3.3 in) for a displacement of 3498 cc (213 cu in). A GM Press Release for the 2004 Malibu described the 3500 thus: "3.5-liter V-6, will debut in the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu. The engine offers improved performance and fuel efficiency, and runs smoother and quieter than earlier generation V-6 engines. The 3500 V-6 features an advanced powertrain control module, improved fuel injection system, a redesigned exhaust manifold and a new catalytic converter contribute to reduced emissions, as well as improved efficiency and performance characteristics. Improvements in cooling, sealing and the accessory drive system add to the engine's overall quality, reliability and durability." Power output ranges from 196 hp (146 kW) to 201 hp (150 kW), torque ranges from 213 lb·ft (289 N·m) to 221 lb·ft (300 N·m). This engine was retired after the 2006 model year, being replaced by the 3.5 L LZ4 V6 for 2007.

It was used in the following vehicles and model years:

2005-2006 Buick Terraza/Chevrolet Uplander/Pontiac Montana/Saturn Relay
    2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu/Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
    2005-2006 Pontiac G6 Sedan / Coupe
    2006 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible

[edit] LZ4
    The LZ4 3500 is an OHV engine based on the 3.9 L LZ9 V6. It was introduced for the 2006 model year in the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo. It includes continuously variable cam timing (fixed overlap). It has a cast iron block and aluminum heads. Output is 211 hp (156.5 kW) at 5800 rpm and 214 ft·lbf (298 N·m) at 4000 rpm. Bore is 99 mm (3.9 in), stroke is 76 mm (3.0 in) for a displacement of 3510 cc. Horsepower rating changed for the 2007 model year to Horsepower: 224 at 5800 rpm and Torque: 220 at 4000 rpm. The Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac G6, and Saturn Aura became equipped with this engine for 2007 (previously the Malibu and G6 had the non-VVT 201 hp (150 kW) 3.5 L LX9). In 2008 SAE ratings dropped the horsepower ratings to 219, keeping torque as is. On Pontiac G6 convertible models, horsepower was rated at 217.

Applications:

2006-present Chevrolet Impala
    2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    2007-2008 Chevrolet Malibu/Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
    2007-2008 Saturn Aura
    2007-2009 Pontiac G6
    2008-2009 Saturn Vue XE AWD
    Note: GM often refers to this engine in its literature as a "3.5L V6 with Variable Valve Timing

Imho the parts interchangabillity on the 60*v6 is amaging.....
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-24-2010 at 07:14 AM.

blue
    94 Camaro

thank you for all the great info and the break down!!!

navy blue
    1998 z28 m6

unless you have your heart set on keeping the car and modding it,like the other members said just pick up a used lt1 or ls1.i was in a similar predicament a few years ago,i had a dodge dakota 3.9 v6 and wanted to drop the 5.9 v8 from the R/T.i realized all the work and parts that would have to be changed, so i just bought a dakota R/T and loved every minute driving it!!

Thread Information