Awaiting Activation

Maroon
    2002 Firebird V-6 Vert

V-6 to V-8 versus V-8 to Convertible

Which way to go?
    To consider:
    The convertee allready owns the V-6 Convertible. So....

2002 Firebird Convertible V-6 conversion to a V-8
    What would be involved and how much would it cost? It would not need stiffening because of the soft top since it is allready set up for it but would it need other suspension work to carry the extra motor load?
    Whats involved in the engine change out? Transmission? Rear? Suspension? Anything need to move in the engine compartment? Intake would need to be changed too right? What about ram-air? it would need the special hood if ram-air was aded too right? Does the ECm need to be changed? What about the Dash Gauges? What might this all cost?

Sell the V-6 buy a V-8 hardtop and Convert it to a convertible. Probably get rapped right there on the trade-in/purchase. But then it has what you need. Except the car would need to be converted to a convertible. What would this involve? Plus it would need more stiffening because of the convertible right? What would this cost?

Convertible T/A's are still way overpriced even though they are 4 years old now at the newest. Plus if I was going to do this I would want to do up a motor from the get go which means mods to the V-8 in either case Cam, Headers, Intake, Exhaust etc. So keeping the V-6 and changing it out might be cheaper no?

Has anyone here done this? I was also told it might be cheaper to put a carburated ebgine in instead which would then eliminate the ecm and some other things but would require new gauges etc. Anyone done this? What might this cost?

When I got the V-6 2 years ago it was 18k versus almost 26k to 30k for a V-6 convertible. I just could not get what I wanted fro the price I felt the V-8's were worth. But now I am not sure, might have been better. BUT to be honest I would rather have a Vette over the T/A which price wise? forget about it, closest there at the time of my trade in was 35k and I was not about to go there for that. For what I am going to put into it to change from V-6 to V-8 it might be cheaper at this point to trade it in on a T/A but then a 4 year old T/A will have seen alot of punishment and I might have problems with that BUT again I would want to re-do it a bit anyway so......

Very perplexing at this point. I think it sucks that you loose almost 40% on trade in versus what it would cost you to pay for what you are trading in.

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

whoa whoa, too many letters cant think oh no........
    Victor
    2000 z28 A4
    2002 Formula Firehawk M6

Black
    '99 SS

I'm lost on what exactly it is you're asking....

GO FOR THE LS1 CONVERTIBLE

CAMARO

SS

<---- LIKE MINE

For some reason, women cream their pants everywhere I go...

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

phew there i woke up. Umm like Tonik here said a vert would be awesome. But you cant go wrong with a z28 or with a TA

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

What is all this talk about trade? In todays market you do not trade in a vehicle unless it is broken down or you just hate the car. I am assuming the V6 is paid off, so keep driving it and buy the car that you really want. You have to get the car you truly desire. If you don't, you will always be left wanting. It is also nice to have another car when that mod install job took a few days longer than expected.

Since, 1993, my freshman year in high school when I saw a fourth gen V8 TA, I had to have one. I finally got one at the end of 2001. I want a Z06, but I know if I were to get rid of my WS6 and buy a Z06, I would still want a fourth gen V8 TA every time I saw one on the rode. I decided to keep my WS6 and just keep adding power to it, until it can finally beat a Z06 instead of starting over with a new car.

Just pick what car you really want first and just get that car and stick with it. Price should not matter because you will not think of buying another sports car if this is the one you really want. WAIT until you can get what you really want.

Hopefully I did not put anyone to sleep.

Thread Information