01 Formula

? On using used cats

I wanted to know if it was illegal to use used cats from another vehicle on your car?I need to put some cats on my car,but wasn't to sure on this.I do have some info just not sure what is legal.I want to do it the right way.

Stock used cats on a stock car? Shouldn't be a problem as long as they're good and don't throw any codes. What do you have now, just trying to pass emissions or something?

Edit: Also, if you have stock cats they're good for 10yrs/120K? now under warranty. Just want to be sure.

01 Formula

Yep just wanted to use stock cats inplace of this slp Y pipe with no cats.I no longer have the old stock ones.

I dont know how this applies to us.http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

Couldn't read the whole thing, but that looks like it's for aftermarket cats. I wouldn't think stock cats would fall into that category. What state are you in/what type of inspection? Sure you really need them?

01 Formula

What about using converters from salvage yards or junked cars?
    EPA considers it a violation of the policy to install a used converter from a salvage yard or
    sell it for reuse unless it has been properly tested and labeled. Similarly, it is a violation to install
    an untested used converter brought in by a customer, even if the customer insists that the used
    converter came off his/her vehicle.
    Salvage or junk yards also would be considered liable for causing tampering if they sell
    converters that have not been tested or do not meet the requirements outlined in the policy and if the
    converters are subsequently installed by parties named in the Clean Air Act as prohibited from
    tampering.

quoted from the link...Im from Texas,I beleive we got tuff regulations

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If the salvage yard will sell you an identical to your car convertor and Y-pipe and you are going to put it on I can't see where anybody is going to know. How is an inspector going to know the difference unless you tell him? You are taking a chance that the used one is still good-especially if you can't see into the inside of the convertor. Generally if you don't feel anything shaking loose inside and it doesn't feel empty-then it should be OK. Of course it could still be melted and plugged up-or not reduce emissions enough. Try checking with an exhaust shop as to how much they will charge to weld in some aftermarket ones -it may not be as much as you think.

Thread Information