Red
    '03 Vette

using stock pushrods

I've heard different takes on this but had a hard time finding much when searching. If a relatively small cam were to be installed- say a TR220, is it OK to use the stock pushrods? Stock heads too. Some have said a hardened pushrod is not needed for a small cam and some say if something should be the weak point, it should be the non-hardened stock pushrod rather than risking something more expensive breaking. Is this a matter of opinion or is one way definitely better? And what about using an LS6 spring with that cam? OK or go with the comp 918's?
    Jay (still learning)

'03 Vette, AT, headers, Vararam, tune, DR's, 12.73@110, Speedworld AZ 12-08
    SOLD-'04 GTO, Red/Red, 6-speed, '05 SAP kit, Magnaflow catback
    SOLD- 2/06, '00 TA WS6, 13.02@113.4

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

As for springs, LS6 will be fine, but I'd go with Patriot Golds. The stock pushrods, as well as the heads will be fine.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    As for springs, LS6 will be fine, but I'd go with Patriot Golds. The stock pushrods, as well as the heads will be fine.
    I agree. I'm doing my cam swap this weekend and using my stock push rods...for now but will upgrade to hardened this spring.
    but,if your rev limiter (fuel cutoff) is set at the right rpm you should not have anything bending or flexing, so if you have the free money to spend why leave any weak links.
    another upgrade that isn't needed, but good piece of mind is ARP rod bolts

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Iv seen a handfull of stock push rod's bend fairly easy on a high rev shift. Since your going to have everything apart i would go ahead and spend the extra cash to avoid any issues in the future.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

i would spend the extra 90 on the pushrods.... some people bend them on bone stock cars, a lot has to do with your shift points also..

Junior Member Acceleration Junky's Avatar

sunset metallic orange
    2002 Z28

IMO, the price of hardened pushrods compared to the benefits of them is no comparison. Especially since you'll already be in there. Think about your driving habits and future mods, as these two things may influence your decision.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Stock pushrods are expecially soft to prevent engine damage in the event of an overrev from the driver missing a shift. So instead of floating the valves and having them possibly contact the pistons, the pushrods bend.

Once you get into aftermarket mods though, soft pushrods are no benefit. People have been known to bent the stockers with automatics, just because they are designed to start giving way after you're over 6,000RPM. So with an aftermarket cam, you pretty much need better pushrods, or you're going to just keep bending them set after set.

Red
    '03 Vette

Thanks everyone. I will go with the hardened pushrods then.
    I was also reading about the springs. I could get a great deal on '01 LS6 springs but they are supposed to be only good to .550 lift. The TR220 is .551 Too close for comfort or will it be OK? Should I just go with the comp 918's ?
    Jay

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I would go with a different spring then.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayinAZ00WS6 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I will go with the hardened pushrods then.
    I was also reading about the springs. I could get a great deal on '01 LS6 springs but they are supposed to be only good to .550 lift. The TR220 is .551 Too close for comfort or will it be OK? Should I just go with the comp 918's ?
    Jay
    Do NOT go with Comp 918. I'd hate to get one from a bad batch. I think the ones in my motor are from one of the bad batches they had. Just get Patriot Golds.

hugger orange

Do NOT go with Comp 918. I'd hate to get one from a bad batch. I think the ones in my motor are from one of the bad batches they had. Just get Patriot Golds.
    im running the 918's in my goat, and ive heard alot about the bad batches. is there any way to tell the good batches from the bad batches?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Not that I'm aware of. I do know its supposed to have something to do with a blue stripe, but some say ones with are the bad ones and some say the ones without are the bad ones. Call em up since there was a recall on them. If yours was from a bad batch (they should be able to help you figure out) they will send you a new set from what I've been told.

hugger orange

Not that I'm aware of. I do know its supposed to have something to do with a blue stripe, but some say ones with are the bad ones and some say the ones without are the bad ones. Call em up since there was a recall on them. If yours was from a bad batch (they should be able to help you figure out) they will send you a new set from what I've been told.
    blue or no blue is what ive heard too, but dont know which ones are the good ones either lol
    but i didnt know they would replace them....guess il be calling them to findout!

Thread Information