Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Wink Used Oil Analysis (UOA) Results

Used Oil Analysis (UOA)tell you if your running the right oil/viscosity and basically what is going on in your engine. Various brands of oil have vastly different add packs that result in significant differences in wear metals.
    Two labs I recommend are Terry Dyson and Blackstone Labs.
    http://www.dysonanalysis.com/
    http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

So you get a UOA. What do all the numbers/chemicals/metals mean? Here is a short "read" on where all these stuff originates.
    • Aluminum (Al): Thrust washers, bearings and pistons are made of this metal. High readings can be from piston skirt scuffing, excessive ring groove wear, broken thrust washers, etc.
    • Boron, Magnesium, Calcium, Barium, Phosphorous, and Zinc: These metals are normally from the lubricating oil additive package. They involve detergents, dispersants, extreme-pressure additives, etc.
    • Chromium (CR): Normally associated with piston rings. High levels can be caused by dirt coming through the air intake or broken rings.
    • Copper (CU), Tin: These metals are normally from bearings or bushings and valve guides. Oil coolers also can contribute to copper readings along with some oil additives. In a new engine these results will normally be high during break-in, but will decline in a few hundred hours.
    • Iron (Fe): This can come from many places in the engine such as liners, camshafts, crankshaft, valve train, timing gears, etc.
    • Lead (Pb): Use of regular gasoline will cause very high test results. Also associated with bearing wear, but fuel source (leaded gasoline) and sampling contamination (use of galvanized containers for sampling) are critical in interpreting this metal.
    • Silicon (Si): High readings generally indicate dirt or fine sand contamination from a leaking air intake system. This would act as an abrasive, causing excessive wear. Silicon is also used as a anti-foam agent in some oils.
    • Sodium (Na): High readings of this metal normally are associated with a coolant leak, but can be from an oil additive package.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So what are the "rule of thumb" acceptable parameters your looking for and what is causing it to show up in your sample?

Silicon (Si) 10 to 30 ppm Dirt ingestion
    Air intake system, oil filter plugging, oil filler cap and breather, valve covers, oil supply. Want to test your air filter setup? This is the number that will tell you.

Iron (Fe) 100 to 200 ppm
    Wear of cylinder liner, valve and gear train, oil pump, rust in systemExcessive oil consumption, abnormal engine noise,performance problems, oil pressure, abnormal operating temperatures, stuck/broken piston rings

Chromium (CR) 10 to 30 ppm
    Piston ring wear, Excessive oil blow-by and oil consumption, oil degradation

Copper (CU) 10 to 50 ppm
    Bearings and bushings wear, oil cooler passivating,radiator corrosion,Coolant in engine oil, abnormal noise when operating at near stall speed.

Lead (Pb) 40 to 100 ppm
    Bearing corrosion Extended oil change intervals (running your oil to long)

Aluminum (Al) 10 to 30 ppm
    Piston and piston thrust bearing wear Blow-by gases, oil consumption, power loss, abnormal engine noise

Silver and Tin 2 to 5 ppm 10 to 30 ppm
    Wear of bearings Excessive oil consumption, abnormal engine noise, loss in oil pressure Viscosity Change Lack of lubrication Fuel dilution, blow-by gases, oil oxidation, carburetor choke, ignition timing, injectors, injector pump, oil pressureWater/Anti-freeze Coolant leak or condensation Coolant supply, gasket sealed, hose connection, oil filler cap and breather

Post up your UOA and we all can learn/discuss.
    To post your UOA you can turn your pdf into a photo (snapshot option, or hitting print screen when the appropriate section is displayed). Paste the photo into your favorite paint program, edit out your personal information (ie: solid rectangle), and save it as a jpeg. Upload the photo to a hosting site (ie: photobucket) and then link to that photo in a message here.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

So lets look at an old one of mine.
    First analysis was Amsoil 0-30...next one was Royal Purple Racing 41.

Now look at the bottom. The flash point reflects the Royal Purple sheared out of grade to a 30 weight. Didnt hold up and the wear metals sucked.

White
    2001 Z28

My results

Attachment 14986
    MY results with PP 10-30>this is the same data as I posted on a previous thread.
    Note that the first data is Mobil 1. The final data includes Lucas Synthetic Oil Stablizer which accounts for the very high viscosity.
    Last edited by lonewolf37; 09-29-2008 at 07:32 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

Wifemobile

Attachment 14987
    Results for my wife's car. A 2003 MonteCarlo 3.8 V6 DD. Both samples are PP 10-30. Blackstone told me I was running my oil too far on the first sample.
    Hey Sarge! Thanks for putting up this sticky. This thread should be great. BSers Beware!

White
    2001 Z28

One More

Attachment 14988
    This is some previous data for my Z28. The oil in this sample is an off brand called Mag1 10-30. The first data is the old Mobil 1 5-30. The middle sample is RP 5-30.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Look how RP sheared more than the other two. This folks is why I hate RP. Damn that many miles and ZERO ring wear. Well a 1 is Zero in these reports That's fricking great! Yeah Copper isnt a big deal...if it got over 90 I'd check....but other than that many oils are using Copper in their add packs these days.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Attachment 14987
    Results for my wife's car. A 2003 MonteCarlo 3.8 V6 DD. Both samples are PP 10-30. Blackstone told me I was running my oil too far on the first sample.
    Hey Sarge! Thanks for putting up this sticky. This thread should be great. BSers Beware!
    Damn! That is one nice report!

White
    2001 Z28

Thanks Sarge, ever since I started using PP 10-30 the results just keep getting better. Right now I am running Valvoline Synpower in my wife's car. I will post the results. I may try Quaker State Advanced Synthetic too.
    This thread should be the antidote for advertising BS.

White
    2001 Z28

Valvoline Synpower, how good?

Attachment 15039
    I put Lucas in my wife's car as well as my own. When I realized what the Lucas was doing I changed early, I intended to go 7500M.
    This is my first sample with Valvoline Synpower 10-30. The two previous samples are PP10-30. I am noting the differences in the additives. The Valvoline has slightly better wear numbers than the PP, but that may be due to the shorter change interval.
    I now have Auto RX and Valvoline Synpower in for the next 2500M. I will post the results.
    I wonder how this oil is comparing to the other brands, especially Pennzoil Platinum?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

For a grocery getter...yes Valvoline Syn is a great oil. Often on sale for under $3 a quart I use it sometimes in friends cars......and yes....the shorter OCI will have a impact on numbers for sure....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Anyone have a UOA for VP Racing RS530? Opinion? I had a bunch of it and am now down to my last case.

And speaking of Valvoline, do they still make their Synthetic Oil Treatment? Sarge, didn't you use it in the past? And didn't it have a great add-pack? Or am I confusing it with the great add-pack in your crop of headache medicine? I bought several pints last winter and have now used them all. The stores where I've previously purchased it have none and I've looked in several other stores with no luck. What's the story?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have one case of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment left...they quit making it because of the new low zinc bullshit tree hugger laws Yeah I think I have a VP Racing UOA somewhere around here.....lemme go look...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

This from a Honda S2000 street legal race car.....
    The car was in the Las Vegas area for this OCI.

Oil: VP Racing RS530 5w30
    Mileage: 3100
    Date: April to September (high heat desert temps)
    Style of driving: 90% city driving
    Oil filter: Mobil 1 #M1-104
    Air filter: OEM (1year/10,000mi old)
    Make up oil: None

Lab: MTR (Dyson Analysis)

Iron: 12
    Copper:10
    Tin: 6
    Lead: 1
    Chromium: 1
    Nickel: 2
    Aluminum: 8
    Titanium: 0
    Silver: 0
    Calcium: 1941
    Magnesium: 99
    Zinc: 1410
    Phosphorus: 1421
    Barium: 3
    Moly: 873
    Antimony: 0
    Silicon: 29
    Sodium: 18
    Boron: 2
    Potassium: 0
    Vanadium: 0

Viscosity: (40C) 49.3 (100C) 9.3
    TAN: 2.60
    Flashpoint: 375
    Oxidation: 32
    Nitration: 9
    Water (KF - ppm) 326
    TBN: 2.30
    Fuel: 2.19
    Soot: 0
    Glycol/Coolant: 0
    Viscosity Index: 175
    Sulfate Byproducts: 32.3

First and foremost I want to thank Terry Dyson for his feedback. Though this is the first time I have had the actual raw analysis done by his appointed lab, I have used his interpretation services previously. I can not say enough good things about him. If you really want to effectively use oil analysis to help maintain your car, I highly recommend using Terry's services.

As you can probably guess, I have already discussed this analysis with Terry. The one glaring point I want to make is that Las Vegas is a freaking dust bowl. The area elements killed my OEM air filter in just 10,000miles. Ouch.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Fuel at 2.19 is unreal...this oil did an absolutely outstanding job to hold up to the fuel and the silicon (dirt).....excellent numbers....great oil...

White
    2001 Z28

Dyson Analysis

Sarge, you have sold me on a Dyson Analysis. However, I have seen your links directly to Dyson and Blackstone offers a Dyson analysis. Fork in the road: which direction?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Terry analyzes in much more depth than Blackstone. So Blackstone offers his services to their customers who require/want a more in depth analysis. He also consults and makes recommendations to fine tune your choices. Terry is the consultant to many NASCAR/NHRA teams. Guy is off the chart tribologist.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I have one case of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment left...they quit making it because of the new low zinc bullshit tree hugger laws Yeah I think I have a VP Racing UOA somewhere around here.....lemme go look...
    Thanks, Sarge.

So now zinc is evil, too? Those F*$%&*&^$^$!!!*%#@@?~^ing left-wing lunatic kook environmentalist wackos!

In your opinion, what's the "next best" oil treatment or the most similar to the Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well I would only use a little shot (6-8 oz) in conventional oils to boost the add pack.....I wouldn't use anything in a synthetic as the add pack is robust enough on its own....but if I was going to boost my conventional I would use SLOB. Street Legal Oil Boost...Here is the Virgin Oil Analysis of SLOB..
    Zinc: 4898 ppm
    Phosphorus: 4921 ppm
    Calcium: 4279 ppm
    Moly: 0 ppm

So as you can see....you can use like half a bottle to boost your oil to "stout" ZDDP levels....Stuff is called
    CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost

Stuff is sold at Big Lots stores around here.....

White
    2001 Z28

Thanks Sarge! I am going to use the Dyson analysis on my Camaro. I get it back on the road this week. (Funny, I think I said that three weeks ago.) I will continue with the standard analysis for my wife's car.
    I will post the results.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

So what does PP stand for "Penz Plat .. maybe?
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes. Pennzoil Platinum is PP.

Thread Information