Upgrading Wisely for the future

I am trying to determine if there is any way to get more performance out of my LS1 now that will also benefit me in the future when I finally get enough $$ together to swap in a 400+ cube LS2 or more likely a LS3 or LS7 based 427/454

Camshaft won't work
    Heads? probably not?
    Intake? > Is there anyway to make a FAST 102 intake and TB fit both?
    What other options do I have?
    N02 ... most of the system would be transferable ... right?

I'm just brainstorming here, and trying to temporarily appease my immediate need for speed while holding to my long term plan of saving for the BIG engine I really want.

Any Ideas would be appreciated, even if they don't seem particularly practical at first glance.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Put all the money you are planning on putting towards parts in a savings account, you can make a long term idea into a medium

You must know something I don't....I work with finances all day, everyday...right now there are two basic options, gambling on investments or the market (and I mean Gambling!) or picking safety and having near zero returns. Breaking even for a years results (after inflation) is actually a highly uncertain goal.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

LS1 intakes have cathedral shaped ports and the newer LS series engines/heads have rectangular ports, so no the intake most likely won't swap over nicely.
    Headers generally swap over I believe. TB will probably swap over, if you pick the correct one to use now and later.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Not much...

Investing money into a car will NEVER return anything other than fun.
    You will likely be looking at doing everything at once. As mentioned, put the current available funds into a savings account for when you plan on going big.
    Suspension/rear will hold, not much else.

Just as I thought, nothing but the majority of nitrous systems will transfer over.
    Perhaps I'll just start working on the transmission in the meantime.

sunset orange metallic
    2002 T/A convertible

Why would you put a nitrogen oxide injection system on your car?

Quote Originally Posted by 02ragtop t/a View Post
    Why would you put a nitrogen oxide injection system on your car?
    Well all typos asside (I'm sure you've never made any of those) ... you do, now, actually have me wondering why N2O is used instead of NO2 - isn't more oxygen what we are after?
    I would think there is probably a good reason why NO2 isn't used, but having forgotten most of high school chemisty decades ago, I don't know what that reason is.

Victory Red
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    LS1 intakes have cathedral shaped ports and the newer LS series engines/heads have rectangular ports, so no the intake most likely won't swap over nicely.
    Headers generally swap over I believe. TB will probably swap over, if you pick the correct one to use now and later.
    true, but here's an idea....mating heads and manifold would work though right? just gotta stick with the chamber volume ( 72cc or whatever ) something would change though but i'm not sure exactly

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by joedude02 View Post
    true, but here's an idea....mating heads and manifold would work though right? just gotta stick with the chamber volume ( 72cc or whatever ) something would change though but i'm not sure exactly
    Thats essentially true...but any head you put on an LS1 probably isn't gonna be the greatest choice for a big cubed LS3, LS2, or LS7

Thats essentially true...but any head you put on an LS1 probably isn't gonna be the greatest choice for a big cubed LS3, LS2, or LS7
    I couldn't see it working well, the two engines would want different spec heads.
    Unless it was a head that could be custom ported from LS1 runner size up to an appropriate size and flow rate for the big cube motor...and that custom porting could be done cost effectively. And then there is combustion chamber size, I'm guessing that would have to change as well? (bigger diameter for bigger bore?)

I don't know enough about what a good machinist could do to a set of heads to know if it would be feasable. (or cost effective)

Thread Information