Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Two Ram Airs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Two Ram Airs !!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Engineers didn't add metal to the car just to weigh it down. It has a structural purpose. You just cut ...

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Engineers didn't add metal to the car just to weigh it down. It has a structural purpose. You just cut two huge holes in something with structural purpose! Not to mention the point made earlier about the original design path for airflow. If you really wanted a more effective ram air setup, you should have bought a SSRA or made your own.
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; 08-21-2006 at 08:46 AM.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

god forbid his car break in half now because he cut two holes in his radiator support. what he did is a good idea on getting a way to get more air to the air filter area. why buy something if you can do it in a 'free' way? just because you wouldn't do it to your car, doesn't make him an idiot. time to back off the insults.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    god forbid his car break in half now because he cut two holes in his radiator support.
    How do you think he's going to feel if something does happen as a result of this? If my car failed structurally because of a modification like this, I'd feel a lot worse than just an "idiot." My point was...it seems people can get so hungry for more power that they don't take a minute to think about ALL of the consequences of their actions. Maybe I was guilty in this a little myself before I typed my original post. But, my words won't potentially cause any physical harm to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    what he did is a good idea on getting a way to get more air to the air filter area. why buy something if you can do it in a 'free' way? just because you wouldn't do it to your car, doesn't make him an idiot. time to back off the insults.
    I agree more airflow is a good idea since more air plus more fuel generally means more power. But for anyone on this site to sit here and say what he did was a great idea because it's free is a touch "off" in my book. What if his modification not only endangers himself, but someone else on the road? What if you knew that someone else on the road? You might be ok with that, but I'm not.

I apologize if what I said was so offensive and I'll edit my above comment. But, it still doesn't change anything...
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; 08-21-2006 at 08:47 AM.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    How do you think he's going to feel if something does happen as a result of this? If my car failed structurally because of a modification like this, I'd feel a lot worse than just an "idiot." My point was...it seems people can get so hungry for more power that they don't take a minute to think about ALL of the consequences of their actions. Maybe I was guilty in this a little myself before I typed my original post. But, my words won't potentially cause any physical harm to anyone.
    if his car went structurally unsound in this area, he sure wasn't in a 5 mph accident that's for sure. but, i do understand what you were trying to get across. some people have removed the foam under the bumper that's there to absorb the impact of an accident in an effort to remove weight. it's debate able just how much it actually absorbs.

I agree more airflow is a good idea since more air plus more fuel generally means more power. But for anyone on this site to sit here and say what he did was a great idea because it's free is a touch "off" in my book. What if his modification not only endangers himself, but someone else on the road? What if you knew that someone else on the road? You might be ok with that, but I'm not.

I apologize if what I said was so offensive and I'll edit my above comment. But, it still doesn't change anything...
    again, if you damage this area in an accident, you were doing more than what was needed in that instance to get to that point of contact. you'd have to destroy the whole front bumper just to get to that point. but, i'm sure some wonderful attorney is out there that would say, "sir, you just killed someone because you cut two holes in you radiator support." nevermind he was doing 80 mph and t'boned the car in the driver's door.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

... I agree more airflow is a good idea ...
    The sad part is, punching holes there in the bumper doesn't get you anymore air flow. At best it's neutral, if you seal the front of the airbox.

If you don't seal, - thinking as this guy did that he was delivering "extra" air - you've diverted the air that would have gone to the front of the airbox. With no air coming in the the front of the airbox, the airbox will pull the only available air - which is the hot air in the engine bay.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information