Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Two Ram Airs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Two Ram Airs !!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by MrMiracle Lower pressure induced by Bernoulli doesn't effect the radiator because at faster speeds, the radiator is ...

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiracle
    Lower pressure induced by Bernoulli doesn't effect the radiator because at faster speeds, the radiator is exposed to a proportionately larger overall quantity of oncoming air.
    But it does effect the radiator, because of the air dam under the core support.

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Try removing the little air foil at the bottom of the front-end and watch your temps climb on the hiway.
    The air foil creates a high pressure area in front of the radiator, and a low pressure zone behind it. There is not much exposed surface area for the radiator on an F-body, so they truely are bottom breathers. At low speeds, it has to rely on the fans to create the low pressure and draw air through. Higher speeds allow the pressure to build though and the fans are no longer necessary.
    Hammer - hammertime.us
    2001 Light Pewter Metallic Camaro SS, 6 speed
    K&N, SLP Lid, SLP y-pipe, GMMG cat-back, Lou's Short Stick - more to come!

RED
    1998 CAMARO Z28

Ook The Thing Its I Didnt Want To Do Any Good Impresion On Any Of You Im Just Trying To Gain An Improvement Of My Car And Share With You Guys . That Picture I Took It In Process Of Finish It And Even If I Dont Paint It You Are Not Able To See It Because Of The Filter But You Defenetly Hear It And It Mean More Air I Guess In The Next Post I Would Get A Picture Of The Two Holes That I Made On The Front Bumper That Means More Cold Air .

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Those gains are very minimal compared to doing an LS-6 intake and ported/polished throttle body. I have the free ram air mod and honestly didn't notice anything except a filter that needs cleaned more often. When I put the intake,smooth bellows, and TB on it made the front of the car sound like a vacuum cleaner when idling.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The aerodynamics of the stock auto are not like an airplane wing though,with the ride height that most of us on the street are running at. A pure race car will have about an inch of clearance between the front spoiler and the ground,with a smooth undercarriage. The air is hitting the front of the stock cars and producing a bow wave effect that blows most of the air up over the car.The effect is turbulence tumbling over the hood,and a lot of turbulence under the car also(not a smooth surface like the top side).Without testing( as I previously stated) hood scoops are debateable as to whether they actually are in a high pressure area or not. And the engine doesn't draw in that much air on a car like this compared to the amount of air flow going on around the car. So the hood scoop on my example given is actually in a low pressure zone and the amount of air going in the engine doesn't change that. What GUSHER is trying to do is different from the free mods air intake-he is trying to get air from the very front of the car-it will be a high pressure area and unaffected by the temperature of the radiator. This is an improvement in a couple different ways and a good idea. Due to the language barrier that is going on here (gusher-don't CAPITALIZE Every First Letter In The Sentence,just the first letter of the first word in a sentence) he is trying to describe a good idea that I've been thinking about for years. By all means take more pictures and let us know how it seems to be working.

RED
    1998 CAMARO Z28

Ok Like I Promisse Here Are The Pictures Of The Two Holes In The Bumper , As The Way I See The Camaros Has A Big Diference Between The Trans Am On The Bumper Because Of The Air Inlets , Tha Trans Am Has It Upper And Its More Direct To The Air Filter That Means More Direct Air And Colder , The Camaro Has It On The Lower Of The Bumper And Has To Work His Way Up To The Air Filter With More Air Going In ,(because Of The Two New Holes In The Bumper) And Two More Cut Out In The Bottom Of The Air Filter Thats Mean More Air And Colder = More Hp And More Vaccum Cleaner Noise .
    I Already Have The Spl Intake And The Ported Tb And The Smooth Below.it May Not Be Another Ram Air But For Sure Its More Air And More To Get It Cold.
    Hope It Helps

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

You know you just wasted your time.

There are already holes in the nostrils and the air is directed right to the front of the airbox in the stock design ... what you did was introduce a restriction.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

not to be that guy but it looks like an animal was hungry?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

What have you been smoking?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by MysticZ28
    You know you just wasted your time.

There are already holes in the nostrils and the air is directed right to the front of the airbox in the stock design ... what you did was introduce a restriction.
    Holes where?-he's got a Z-28,no hood scoops,no air directed toi the front of the air box. Who's smokin what?

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Holes where?-he's got a Z-28,no hood scoops,no air directed toi the front of the air box. Who's smokin what?
    You really shouldn't go modding your car with out knowing how it works.

The back of the nostrils - where he cut the holes - is a back splash that directs air vertically through a hole on the bumper. That air splashes directly against the hood and is forced in the only direction that it can go ... right to the front of the airbox ... the air flow in the Camaro is actually very cleverly engineered.

The easy way to find it, is go shine a flash light into the nostril. Open the hood and look down at the bumper ... you will see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    What have you been smoking?

Platypus Control Director BigFrog's Avatar

Black
    2002 SS

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHER
    Ook The Thing Its I Didnt Want To Do Any Good Impresion On Any Of You Im Just Trying To Gain An Improvement Of My Car And Share With You Guys . That Picture I Took It In Process Of Finish It And Even If I Dont Paint It You Are Not Able To See It Because Of The Filter But You Defenetly Hear It And It Mean More Air I Guess In The Next Post I Would Get A Picture Of The Two Holes That I Made On The Front Bumper That Means More Cold Air .
    I say, my good man, that's just capitol!

BigFrog
    London, England

RED
    1998 CAMARO Z28

Yeah I Know There Its The Original Holes In The Front But The Ones That I Made Under The Filter Its Direct To The Black Plastic And Now Has 2 Ways To Get The Air The Original In Front The Air Filter And The New One , Some One Who Its Expert In Aerodynamics Could Give Us The Answer On This One.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Yeah I Know There Its The Original Holes In The Front But The Ones That I Made Under The Filter Its Direct To The Black Plastic And Now Has 2 Ways To Get The Air The Original In Front The Air Filter And The New One , Some One Who Its Expert In Aerodynamics Could Give Us The Answer On This One.
    When you punched the holes in the front of the nostrils you disrupted the airflow to the front of the airbox.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

And Two More Cut Out In The Bottom Of The Air Filter Thats Mean More Air And Colder = More Hp And More Vaccum Cleaner Noise .

Hope It Helps
    Oh it did. This weekend im gonna get me some of that vacuum cleaner noise on my Truck. No smilie needed.

Nice idea, I was looking for "Ram Air" for my SS and I ended up getting a Super Sucker Ram Air/ Austin Ram Air (SSRA) . Everyone I have talked to have dropped ETs by around .1-.3 and gained 1-2 mph consistently in the quarter. Nice piece too.

Since I am under 5 posts I can't post a URL yet, but Google: Super Sucker Ram Air or Austin Ram Air and you'll get some info.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

hey, man, FUCK IT, it's your shit. cool. thanks for the pics. but, why not cut the whole black thing out of the grilles? instead of just a small hole? that would probably look better, but looking at your pics, i saw some wires, don't think that's a look i'm going for. the only way to learn is to do it.

Black & Red
    85 Iroc-Z and 00 Trans Am

Hmmm...love to see it in person. Your pretty close by.
    2000 Trans Am-LS1 what else do you need to know?
    1985 Iroc-Z 305+TPI+Comp Cams+TCI+HOOKER=FUN!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

As far as air disruption goes, what happens when you completely seal off the 2x12 air intake at the front of the air intake. Most cold air/ram air kits require this space to be sealed off. So whatever disruption in airflow that might be happening through the nostrils, is now meaningless. GUSHER, you just need to go with a ram-air kit.

Oh, and I have never have ANY problems with water getting up and into my air filter. Sure, I have to clean the filter a little more often, but under full throttle, there...is..definately...a big difference in throttle response.

Black
    98 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiracle View Post

2. The movement of air and the Bernoulli effect:
    Bernoulli effect???....is that the girl that married Eddie VanHalen???...what in the heck could she possibly know about air induction?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information