red
    2002 Trans Am

two questions about 02 Trans-AM

1. My car occasionally, maybe 10 times a year, (especially when it is very hot) won't crank or even turn over. After being coach up, I now put it in neutral and it fires right up. I am pretty sure it is the park neutral safety switch, but where on my automatic 02 is it? Upon searching other sites, I have read where some have said it is on the shifter - beneath console. Others have posted on the transmission. Does anyone have any experience with replacing this part and any pointers?

2. My car's TCS OFF light came on. It had lots of trouble changing gears. It would rev up too high, and I would have to let of the gas to let it chance gears. the light stayed on and it drove poorly for about 20 min. When I stopped and recranked the car, the problem cleared up and has not returned in 5 days. What may have caused that? Could it have been the transmission filter? etc. Any knowledge to share would be great.

thanks

Dewayne

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I can't really answer your first question, but have you checked your transmission fluid lately?
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

red
    2002 Trans Am

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    I can't really answer your first question, but have you checked your transmission fluid lately?
    I have checked it. it isn't low, but is needing changed, which I will do on Mon. hope that helps.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

I have had my console apart on our car a couple of times and never paid any attention to whether there was a safety switch on the shift assembly. I assume it is there as I know there isn't anything under the car on the side of the trans. I can check my service manual if you need more info. Could be a couple of issues with the shifting, but I would certainly start with a fluid and filter change. You'll only get about half of the old fluid out dropping the pan unless they flush the lines and converter. Any ABS INOP light on the dash? That would normally be a wheel speed sensor or something going bad.

red
    2002 Trans Am

thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome to the site!

I have had my console apart on our car a couple of times and never paid any attention to whether there was a safety switch on the shift assembly. I assume it is there as I know there isn't anything under the car on the side of the trans. I can check my service manual if you need more info. Could be a couple of issues with the shifting, but I would certainly start with a fluid and filter change. You'll only get about half of the old fluid out dropping the pan unless they flush the lines and converter. Any ABS INOP light on the dash? That would normally be a wheel speed sensor or something going bad.
    No ABS INOP light has ever been on. has been doing fine lately. hope the filter change will do it. If you can look in your service manual and verify the exact locale of the neutral safety switch and and info on what all to do that would be a great help. Monday is the target date to get these things done.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'll take a look.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Park/Neutral Safety Switch is located on the passenger side of the shifter within the center console. There appear to be two (2) screws that go down through slots in the top of the switch assembly and that it has a range of adjustment.

red
    2002 Trans Am

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Park/Neutral Safety Switch is located on the passenger side of the shifter within the center console. There appear to be two (2) screws that go down through slots in the top of the switch assembly and that it has a range of adjustment.
    I appreciate the information. Doesn't sound too bad. Thanks again.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nope, looks pretty simple. Just be sure that once you adjust it that the car will only start in park or neutral. There appears to be an alignment pin or something for reference.

Thread Information