Results 1 to 9 of 9

two questions about 02 Trans-AM

This is a discussion on two questions about 02 Trans-AM within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 1. My car occasionally, maybe 10 times a year, (especially when it is very hot) won't crank or even turn ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4

    red
    2002 Trans Am

    two questions about 02 Trans-AM

    1. My car occasionally, maybe 10 times a year, (especially when it is very hot) won't crank or even turn over. After being coach up, I now put it in neutral and it fires right up. I am pretty sure it is the park neutral safety switch, but where on my automatic 02 is it? Upon searching other sites, I have read where some have said it is on the shifter - beneath console. Others have posted on the transmission. Does anyone have any experience with replacing this part and any pointers?

    2. My car's TCS OFF light came on. It had lots of trouble changing gears. It would rev up too high, and I would have to let of the gas to let it chance gears. the light stayed on and it drove poorly for about 20 min. When I stopped and recranked the car, the problem cleared up and has not returned in 5 days. What may have caused that? Could it have been the transmission filter? etc. Any knowledge to share would be great.

    thanks

    Dewayne

  2. #2
    Member Guerrillakilla13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    476

    Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

    I can't really answer your first question, but have you checked your transmission fluid lately?
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4

    red
    2002 Trans Am

    yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    I can't really answer your first question, but have you checked your transmission fluid lately?
    I have checked it. it isn't low, but is needing changed, which I will do on Mon. hope that helps.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Welcome to the site!

    I have had my console apart on our car a couple of times and never paid any attention to whether there was a safety switch on the shift assembly. I assume it is there as I know there isn't anything under the car on the side of the trans. I can check my service manual if you need more info. Could be a couple of issues with the shifting, but I would certainly start with a fluid and filter change. You'll only get about half of the old fluid out dropping the pan unless they flush the lines and converter. Any ABS INOP light on the dash? That would normally be a wheel speed sensor or something going bad.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4

    red
    2002 Trans Am

    thanks for the welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome to the site!

    I have had my console apart on our car a couple of times and never paid any attention to whether there was a safety switch on the shift assembly. I assume it is there as I know there isn't anything under the car on the side of the trans. I can check my service manual if you need more info. Could be a couple of issues with the shifting, but I would certainly start with a fluid and filter change. You'll only get about half of the old fluid out dropping the pan unless they flush the lines and converter. Any ABS INOP light on the dash? That would normally be a wheel speed sensor or something going bad.
    No ABS INOP light has ever been on. has been doing fine lately. hope the filter change will do it. If you can look in your service manual and verify the exact locale of the neutral safety switch and and info on what all to do that would be a great help. Monday is the target date to get these things done.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I'll take a look.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Park/Neutral Safety Switch is located on the passenger side of the shifter within the center console. There appear to be two (2) screws that go down through slots in the top of the switch assembly and that it has a range of adjustment.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4

    red
    2002 Trans Am

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Park/Neutral Safety Switch is located on the passenger side of the shifter within the center console. There appear to be two (2) screws that go down through slots in the top of the switch assembly and that it has a range of adjustment.
    I appreciate the information. Doesn't sound too bad. Thanks again.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Nope, looks pretty simple. Just be sure that once you adjust it that the car will only start in park or neutral. There appears to be an alignment pin or something for reference.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Several trans am questions
    By ls1_bandit in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 08:41 AM
  2. Looking to buy an LS1 Trans am, few questions!
    By 09turbo in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 11:42 AM
  3. new 01 trans am questions
    By SilentTrouble in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-25-2007, 10:34 PM
  4. Trans tuning Questions for the trans guru
    By Firebirdjones in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 03:54 AM
  5. some questions about the trans am
    By Oldladykiller in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2006, 07:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •