Red
    2000 WS6

Turn Signal Pig Tail Install Help

Ok so I've had problems with my turn signals. The housing units for the turn signals cracked and allowed water in to ruin both sockets. Now here's the question. How do I replace the sockets? Do I cut the bad pig tails out and then remove the rubber on the wiring, splice the new pig tail with the wiring, and wrap with electrical tape? I hate stupid crap like this LoL I'd rather spend a 100 dollars and my time making my car go faster, not messing with miniscule problems such as this >.> Thanks for your time guys. Let me know if you have an answer

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

just fixed this...seems liked i've posted a lot concerning this issue... You need to get new housings so that you don't leak water into your new sockets... Yes, you'll just splice the new sockets in...i used butt connectors...wouldn't suggest just 'wrapping them in electrical tape'. That won't last long... Best solution would be soldering then heat shrink, but space is tight and i suspect butt connectors will work just fine. Got aftermarket housings, sockets, and bulbs for both sides for right at $100 at ABC auto parts.
    3yr/36000 mile bumper-bumper + 1200 continuous watts of beautiful music will never get over my obsession with birds/vettes though...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaFiend View Post
    Ok so I've had problems with my turn signals. The housing units for the turn signals cracked and allowed water in to ruin both sockets. Now here's the question. How do I replace the sockets? Do I cut the bad pig tails out and then remove the rubber on the wiring, splice the new pig tail with the wiring, and wrap with electrical tape? I hate stupid crap like this LoL I'd rather spend a 100 dollars and my time making my car go faster, not messing with miniscule problems such as this >.> Thanks for your time guys. Let me know if you have an answer
    Well you could....but I always use solder joints & shrink tubing for electrical connections
    Fix them right & forget them

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

by the way...the butt connectors can be had at Wal-Mart, radio shack, auto parts store...whatever...very common.. Just insulated connector crimped on both sides. In this case, one side to factory wiring and other side to new socket wire.

Red
    2000 WS6

Thanks for all your help guys I'll go and grab some after I finish replacing my side marker lights. Really appreciate it.

black
    2002 WS6

Never, never, never use any style of butt conector or quick splice, you will end up with issues in a short while, you will corrode the wires and have many more issues than just a bad light. you would be suprised what kind of problems can be caused a corroded wire connection on todays cars. take the time to do a proper solder joint and seal with two layers of heat shrink, you can get weather proof product from and reputable eclectronics supplier, not radioshack. Speaking from experiance here.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

good to know....guess i'll be revisiting the pigtails...thanks for the info!

Thread Information