Tuned again

This is a discussion on Tuned again within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Last year, I got tuned for e-85. With a mild cam, ported heads (and I don't have details on either ...

Black
    99 Z28

Tuned again

Last year, I got tuned for e-85. With a mild cam, ported heads (and I don't have details on either one and don't know for sure if the heads were really ported or if that's just smoke up my ass) - I got 338 rwhp. It was running really awesome on the tune. It's like the car was sleeping before and finally got woken up. I was pleased.

It ran great for quite some time, but in the past few months, the car has been running like shit.

I've posted here for some help. It was sputtering and being obnoxious to drive. I replaced the MAF - which helped a little, O2 sensors - which helped a little and replaced the plugs - which also helped a little. Still after replacing that, it ran like crap and gas mileage - while better than it was before replacing that - it was still crappy (160 miles to an empty tank). I know e-85 is worse mileage, but damn. Fresh off the tune, I was able to get at least 200.

Not knowing what else to really do, I had it tuned to gas again because I wanted to be able to drive it back to WY for my next trip there (no e-85 in WY)

Well, I got tuned today back to gas. I lost some HP. I'm down to 313 hp with 295 tq, but it's back to gas and I can drive it anywhere. It's like it's awake again. It was already warmed up, so I'm not sure how it will be from a cold start, but I'll find out tonight on the drive home i guess.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    Last year, I got tuned for e-85. With a mild cam, ported heads (and I don't have details on either one and don't know for sure if the heads were really ported or if that's just smoke up my ass) - I got 338 rwhp. It was running really awesome on the tune. It's like the car was sleeping before and finally got woken up. I was pleased.

It ran great for quite some time, but in the past few months, the car has been running like shit.

I've posted here for some help. It was sputtering and being obnoxious to drive. I replaced the MAF - which helped a little, O2 sensors - which helped a little and replaced the plugs - which also helped a little. Still after replacing that, it ran like crap and gas mileage - while better than it was before replacing that - it was still crappy (160 miles to an empty tank). I know e-85 is worse mileage, but damn. Fresh off the tune, I was able to get at least 200.

Not knowing what else to really do, I had it tuned to gas again because I wanted to be able to drive it back to WY for my next trip there (no e-85 in WY)

Well, I got tuned today back to gas. I lost some HP. I'm down to 313 hp with 295 tq, but it's back to gas and I can drive it anywhere. It's like it's awake again. It was already warmed up, so I'm not sure how it will be from a cold start, but I'll find out tonight on the drive home i guess.
    So whats the question here? If the tune is off? 313RWHP is not cammed and ported heads territory. Not even cammed. If it is, it must be a pretty small cam.

Black
    99 Z28

No question, just a statement. Just FYI type thing.

Black
    99 Z28

oh, and yeah, the cam would be very small. I'm not terribly disappointed. The car has 100K on it in a few days. It's a long story about the motor that's in it.

I'm pleased. Bummed that I lost 30 hp going back to gas, but happy to not have to spend so much time at the pump.

Thread Information