Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Trying to replace pads but caliper wont come off

This is a discussion on Trying to replace pads but caliper wont come off within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I had the car up on jackstands yesterday and was getting ready to put my new brake pads on but ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    STL,MO
    Posts
    107

    Trying to replace pads but caliper wont come off

    I had the car up on jackstands yesterday and was getting ready to put my new brake pads on but the two bolts on the back side would not come loose, they just kept spinning and going no where and it wasnt stripping the bolt.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,525

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    You need to use a wrench to hold the other side.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

    666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

    Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

    Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

  3. #3
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I believe you are on the wrong bolts.

    Should be 2 18mm bolts holding the caliper onto the bracket.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    STL,MO
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I believe you are on the wrong bolts.

    Should be 2 18mm bolts holding the caliper onto the bracket.
    Thats what I thought too but my dad said they were the ones directly on the caliper

  5. #5
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,525

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by coupe00 View Post
    Thats what I thought too but my dad said they were the ones directly on the caliper
    You need a wrench for the other side. It can spin without one.

  6. #6
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    You need a wrench for the other side. It can spin without one.
    Are the Camaro brakes difference than the Trans Am brakes??

  7. #7
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,525

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Are the Camaro brakes difference than the Trans Am brakes??
    They should be the same. There are two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket. You are talking about the two bolts that hold that bracket to the car.

  8. #8
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I guess I just take the whole bracket off then.

  9. #9
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,468

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    I guess I just take the whole bracket off then.
    Don't feel bad, I do the same and think it's the easier way to go personally.

  10. #10
    lmpounded SandmanWs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,028

    Silver
    2007 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Are the Camaro brakes difference than the Trans Am brakes??
    NO, they are the same. If you look close when you turn the nut on the caliper, just on the other side there is something turning. If you pay attention you will notice that it is not round, it has two flat spots where you can hold it with a wrench. Its between the bracket and that soft plastic boot that covers the bolt. Oh, and when you tighten them back do the same, hold that thing and tighten the bolt. Other wise you will think it is tight but it will not be.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    177

    Red
    2002 T/A

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
    NO, they are the same. If you look close when you turn the nut on the caliper, just on the other side there is something turning. If you pay attention you will notice that it is not round, it has two flat spots where you can hold it with a wrench. Its between the bracket and that soft plastic boot that covers the bolt. Oh, and when you tighten them back do the same, hold that thing and tighten the bolt. Other wise you will think it is tight but it will not be.
    +1...

  12. #12
    lmpounded SandmanWs7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,028

    Silver
    2007 CTS-V

    Quick question, I did my brakes not to long ago. I turned the rotors and put new pads on, and now they squeek a hell of a lot more than when they were old. WTF? Is it the pads, if so what is a good pad?

  13. #13
    Single Malt rbob93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,707

    Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

    Quote Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
    what is a good pad?
    Raybestos "Quiet Stop"
    Close to OEM as you can get

    Pep Boys, Auto Zone

  14. #14
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,525

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by sandman22 View Post
    Quick question, I did my brakes not to long ago. I turned the rotors and put new pads on, and now they squeek a hell of a lot more than when they were old. WTF? Is it the pads, if so what is a good pad?
    Stock pads are the best, dust the least. But expensive.

  15. #15
    Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    here
    Posts
    3,693
    2001

    dont forget that the e-brake cant be on when doing the rears too

  16. #16
    Member SSpdDmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Farmington, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    332

    SOM
    '01 Camaro SS


  17. #17
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    good link

  18. #18
    ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,845

    All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

    Quote Originally Posted by astyles View Post
    dont forget that the e-brake cant be on when doing the rears too
    Yeah, fingered that one out the hard way!! Took me an hour of pounding on the damn rotor before I remembered the e-brake was on.. took it off and pop the rotor cam right off..

    But yeah, I always take the whole braket off too...
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

  19. #19
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Yeah, fingered that one out the hard way!! Took me an hour of pounding on the damn rotor before I remembered the e-brake was on.. took it off and pop the rotor cam right off..

    But yeah, I always take the whole braket off too...


    i turned the caliper bolts for 20 minutes lol......came inside and found a thread that said to use a wrench on the bolt so it wont turn.......102 degrees here with a heat index of 110+.........next side will go much faster......lol also when I got the pads out auto zone have me pads for the front....sucks to be me today

  20. #20
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    I know how you feel Jesusfan. Here in Florida it has been brutally hot. I went to our community pool last night,which is olympic size and then some, to cool off and the water temperature was 95 degrees! When you looked across the surface of the water you could see a mist of steam coming off it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Carfax please
    By 1Sick30th in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 07:51 PM
  2. Fs: Hawk Hps Pads - Front/back Brand New In Box
    By SpeedsterZ28 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
  3. FS: C5 semi Metallic Front Brake Pads *new*
    By techron in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
  4. 1LE Shock/Spring help please
    By funlman in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-05-2005, 04:15 PM
  5. Had my rear brakes replace, got questions/issues
    By Thewilldog in forum General Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 09:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •