Trying to fix power windows

This is a discussion on Trying to fix power windows within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi everybody! i have a 94 Z28 that im trying to fix the power window switches in. When I bought ...

Trying to fix power windows

Hi everybody! i have a 94 Z28 that im trying to fix the power window switches in. When I bought the car they were broke so it's hard for me to know where to start....The switches themselves are loose and dont really make contact with anything to start with...how should I attack this?

Not sure what you're asking, do the motors work at all/the plastic buttons on the switches are just broken? The switches just plug in to the harness under the panel. Visit http://shbox.com and look up everything that has to do with windows switches/motors/adjustment, etc.

It's so weird to explain too! The buttons are loose like I can just rattle them back and forth and I have no idea if there is supposed to be a tiny lunger underneathe each side of the switch that actually makes the window go up and down or what...I did buy new motors because I wasnt even sure the status of the current motors because of the button situation on both sides of the car, but they were cheap enough that I though it couldnt hurt to just replace the motors anyway...Im going to try to snap a coupl pics and post them so that maybe it'll help.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I see that, but the motor iself doesnt worry yet, because I just dont know whats up with the buttons...the button for the door lock is wobbly and very loose too. This is a pick of basically what I've been looking at since the day I bought the car. After checking out shbox too, I dont even have the clips to hold it down anymore...can you get those anywhere anymore?

Sounds like you just need a new door lock button/switch if it's wobbly. The clips are still available PN 9722397 - you'll need 2. Make sure the little "ears" they slide into aren't broken, if so you might need to buy the switch panel. Might find them inside the door cavity when you do the motors.

Crap the p/o broke the ears on it Apparently he left more fun little things that he forgot to mention, than I thought! Thanks for the part number though...I will pull the panel off tonight and hopefully maybe I can salvage a clip or two! Im gonna hunt around ebay tonight for the switch panel, maybe I can find one cheap in good shape. Hey, does the wiring that connects to the switch panel ever really go bad?

Gotta admit I broke the plastic slot (ears) that the clip slides into on one side when I did a window motor the first time - was only one slot, on one side - I cheated and super-glued it on, been fine. The wiring is probably fine under the switches. I had to replace my drivers side window switches module after the passenger side button just wouldn't operate the passenger side anymore. Just plugged the new one in and it's been good Thinking the button or switch will go bad first. BTW, the little metal clips are cheap (GM list is like $0.61) don't know if they'll make you order them by the dozen though.

lol, It wouldnt surprise me one bit if they did make me buy a dozen....Thanks man you've been an awesome help!

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Get the new switches from Autozone, pretty sure they still come with a lifetime warranty so when they die again...which they will....you can get em again for free.

Autozone has the switches for my car?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shlby123 View Post
    Autozone has the switches for my car?
    Neverminds, I didn't read the post all that well the first time, I thought you said the motors were shot, my bad

Well I've gotten to the point where I remove the Speaker to make it easier to unplug the window motor, but i still cant see where the connector is for the motor?

If you can't get it unplugged leave it connected until you drill the rivets (if necessary). Make sure the window glass is supported, and when the last rivet/bolt frees the motor it'll just fall inside the door - not sure exactly how long the wires are on yours, but shouldn't hurt anything. Hang in there, the other side will be much easier.

cool, im gonna keep pushing through the instructions then. thanks!

Things are moving along nicely. Had an interesting question though. Both of my illumination bulbs are burned out, how do I remove the old ones from the connector? I tried pulling and twisting and couldnt get it out. AND if they can be gotten out can I get replacements at autozone or oreillys?

Never tried to replace one...it's a #74 bulb if I'm not mistaken.

Thread Information