Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Trunk Lift

This is a discussion on Trunk Lift within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; How do you compres the struts to put them on when installin the new ones? I clip the new one ...

midnight blue
    98 trans-am

How do you compres the struts to put them on when installin the new ones? I clip the new one on the bottom but have problems with getting the struts compressed enough to reinstall the hex screw on the front. guys at shop told me to undo the whole hatch, put the struts on, then reattach hatch to body. Gotta be a trick.

midnight blue
    98 trans-am

oh ya, its a 98 T/A.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Use a friend or prop rod to hold the hatch open when putting on the new ones. It would be easier doing one at a time.

midnight blue
    98 trans-am

I have that part down pact. The issue I am havin is the rod is to longto bolt into the top and hook in at same time. impossible to compress it enough so that I can put it in. Yes it is the correct one I have double checked it.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Spring fix... it works better to piggyback 2 springs... thats what i had to do, my hatch litterally jumps up a bit when i hit the button, just pull the carpet like stuff out a bit and its in plain sight...

putting the gas charged shocks or whatever you want to call them in.... prop the hatch up... i found a broom to work well lol and put one end on preferably the T-50 end and then just compress it a lil and slide it onto the post...

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Try bolting them first and then putting on the clip end. If you have a ratchet tie down you could use it to compress it a little too.

midnight blue
    98 trans-am

guess I am not as strong as I though if no one else is running into this problem. I will try the ratcheting technique though.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Both of my Hatch struts just COMPLETELY died over the Winter. I just bought new ones (Monroe's), but am wondering if I will have to compress them (Even a little) to get them on.

It takes my full body weight (200 lbs) to just start to compress one. If I have to compress one, even a little, to get it on, I don't know how it will be possible.

If anyone can tell me what they did to get theirs on. I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Tom

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Has anyone gotten their new struts on without having to compress them, even a little? Those buggers are stiff beyond imagination...!

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you opened the trunk all the way to see if the struts will go on?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I did mine in the same car and all i did was to get a piece of metal tube or wood stick, open the trunk and put the piece of stick or pipe holding the trunk open. MAKE SURE THAT IS SECURE. Next undo the clip on one of the struts and remove from clip bracket. Next remove the hex bolt for the same strut.

To install the new strut start by bolting the hex bolt 1st. then install the clip bracket. You might need to pull up the trunk slightly get it to align.

Then do the other side.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by NastySS View Post
    Has anyone gotten their new struts on without having to compress them, even a little? Those buggers are stiff beyond imagination...!
    not at all. they installed fully extended.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i can make a video clip if need it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I did mine in the same car and all i did was to get a piece of metal tube or wood stick, open the trunk and put the piece of stick or pipe holding the trunk open. MAKE SURE THAT IS SECURE. Next undo the clip on one of the struts and remove from clip bracket. Next remove the hex bolt for the same strut.

To install the new strut start by bolting the hex bolt 1st. then install the clip bracket. You might need to pull up the trunk slightly get it to align.

Then do the other side.
    This is what I did with my hood lifts, and the jeeps tailgate lifts.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Thanks guys!,

THAT IS ALL I needed to know. I am pretty confident it will be an easy job as long as I don't have to compress them. I can use a 2 x 4 to prop up the hatch.
    Last edited by NastySS; 06-06-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks guys!,

THAT IS ALL I needed to know. I am pretty confident it will be an easy job as long as I don't have to compress them. I can use a 2 x 4 to prop up the hatch.
    yup 2x4 will do the job. good luck and let us know how it turn out.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

I will Jay,,,,,Thanks......

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

Well, I just took the new struts out to the car for the first time (STUPID ME FOR WATING SO LONG). Two things that are concerning me.

1) My new ones made by Monroe (Part # 901032) are 1.5 inches longer than the GM ones. Actually, the Tubular part is 1.5 inches longer than the GM ones (20" vs. 18.5"), and the uncompressed length is also 1.5 inches longer. I have researched and this is the correct part # for my '01 SS, but I hope the hatch will raise up higher than the current ones allow, so I can attach them without the need to compress them first. Has anyone used this Monroe Part to do their replacement?

2) Getting to the Torx 50? bolt. How the heck do I do that? Do I have to take apart the back seat interior plastic side panels that these buggers are bolted through and underneath? This is the only option I can see at this point, as I can't get to it through the little hole with the rubber BOOT covering the bolted on end.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all...!

Tom

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Well, I just took the new struts out to the car for the first time (STUPID ME FOR WATING SO LONG). Two things that are concerning me.

1) My new ones made by Monroe (Part # 901032) are 1.5 inches longer than the GM ones. Actually, the Tubular part is 1.5 inches longer than the GM ones (20" vs. 18.5"), and the uncompressed length is also 1.5 inches longer. I have researched and this is the correct part # for my '01 SS, but I hope the hatch will raise up higher than the current ones allow, so I can attach them without the need to compress them first. Has anyone used this Monroe Part to do their replacement?

2) Getting to the Torx 50? bolt. How the heck do I do that? Do I have to take apart the back seat interior plastic side panels that these buggers are bolted through and underneath? This is the only option I can see at this point, as I can't get to it through the little hole with the rubber BOOT covering the bolted on end.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all...!

Tom
    yes you have to remove the panel to access the torx bolt. I can't remember the lenght of my new struts but mine arent monroe. I think you will be all right. I can try to measure mine tomorrow and let you know.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

HI Jay,

Thanks for all your help,,,,! Is the panel removal easy and Not-Time consuming? I have not been back there yet to assess what is needed to remove it. One Problem I usually have is time necessary to work on a project. On page 1 of this thread, you can see a strut pic of someone who bought LONGER NEW struts, incomparison to the old shorter ones. The diff in length looks like what I have.

Also, I think I will have to unclip BOTH old struts at the hatch connection point before usung the 2x4 to prop it up, as I think I will have to raise the whole hatch a bit higher to in stall the new, 1.5 inch longer struts.
    Last edited by NastySS; 06-14-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information