truck hard to start (03 gmc sierra 5.3)

This is a discussion on truck hard to start (03 gmc sierra 5.3) within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; getting harder and harder to start. thought it could be the fuel filter. 80 thousand miles on the stock one ...

white
    2003 gmc sierra

truck hard to start (03 gmc sierra 5.3)

getting harder and harder to start. thought it could be the fuel filter. 80 thousand miles on the stock one i figured that was it. nope. still does it. not throwing a check engine light or anything. any ideas? fuel pump? dont those just stop working? didnt think they slowly went out.

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Do a tune up lately? How hard is it to start, like 3 seconds of cranking?

white
    2003 gmc sierra

just replaced the fuel filter, air filter, plugs. if i turn the key on and let it sit for a few seconds, then it wil start. but if i just pun the key in and turn, it will just turn and turn and turn and not fire. i have to try a 2nd time to get it to turn on . fuel pump maybe? but wouldnt it just crap out on me, or would it slowly go out ?

white
    2003 gmc sierra

fuel presure regulator ? i'm hearing its 99.9 % most likely the problem. performance has slowly been going down hill with this truck for a month or 2. any way to test it ?

white
    2003 gmc sierra

any ideas ?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by jeffz0rz View Post
    fuel presure regulator ? i'm hearing its 99.9 % most likely the problem. performance has slowly been going down hill with this truck for a month or 2. any way to test it ?
    yeah, with a pressure gauge. Hook the gauge up and turn the key to run and watch the fuel pressure and see if it starts dropping.

white
    2003 gmc sierra

fuel pressure regulator replaced, no change. all i can think of is fuel pump. i dont have a pressure gauge so im runnin out of ideas. might just end up taking her in. still have an extended service plan, i just figured these rapairs would be less than my deductable. i'm thinkin a fuel pump is a bit more than a hundred bucks.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

You can pickup a new fuel pump for $100. I don't know what your deductable is but if your ok with dropping the tank, you might be better off doing it yourself. I would get a pressure test gauge first though to rule that out. You already bought a regulator that didn't solve the problem, why not invest the money in a gauge to help diagnose the real culprit? I always look at tools as an investment, and that gauge isn't too expensive at all. Just my $.02. Good luck with getting this figured out.
    1998 Sebring Silver Camaro SS Convertible
    Cammed, Geared, Stalled and soon to be blown via F1-C
    2009 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT
    Kook's 1 7/8's LTH's and catted X, Pypes A/B, Vararam, Tune
    2007 Black Raven Cadillac Escalade
    Vararam, Leveling Kit, 33's

white
    2003 gmc sierra

thats my deductable right there a hundred bucks. its a coin toss really. ether i give it to them and it takes like 3 days for them to get to it and fix it and if something breaks they fix it and no worries, or i do it in a few hours and hope i dont break anything. from what i'm hearing its easier to just pull the bed to get to the gas tank. i havent really looked to see what it takes to pull the tank on the truck, but i think i might as well just take it in ans have them deal with it. have someone who knows what they are doing look at it. i end up under the truck on my back in the dirt pissed off hitting things with a hammer. seems to be how most of the thigns i work on end up ha.

2007 Cadillac Escalade
    98 Camaro SS, 09 G8 GT

If it's only going to run you $100, you should let them do it. Let us know how you make out.

white
    2003 gmc sierra

definately worth the cash. random question, if i end up running bigger injectors some day, will my stock fuel pump be useless or can it handel larger injectors since i'm not increasing fuel pressure?

Thread Information