trouble codes on 1999 WS6 I want to buy. Any help on these?

This is a discussion on trouble codes on 1999 WS6 I want to buy. Any help on these? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 1999 ws6 A4 105,000 miles. The following codes come up on his preditor diablo sport tuner? P0137 O2 circuit low ...

Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

Question trouble codes on 1999 WS6 I want to buy. Any help on these?

1999 ws6 A4 105,000 miles.

The following codes come up on his preditor diablo sport tuner?

P0137 O2 circuit low voltage bank 1 sen 2

P0157 same bank 2 sensor 2

PO148 end air inj system control A circuit

PO1415 Air pump circuit

P1416 port air circuit

PO410 secondary air injection system

Car seems to run ok.

Ideas on what is wrong? Possible costs to replace bad parts?

Anyone know about this tuner he has for the car?

$7000 is the price for the car.

Thanks for any and all help, suggestions, etc.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Since you live in CA i'm assuming you have all the emission stuff. The air/ injection system is having some issues. There is a fuse for the air pump, check it and make sure is not blown. It's on the engine bay fuse boxes. There are two AIR valves, one on each metal tube that comes out from the manifolds. If one or both of these valves get stuck it will throw AIR related codes. I used to have all the emission stuff and once every six months the passenger side valve will get stuck. I replace it and problem solved. You can clean it but if it is old you might as well replace it. They are about $20. The O2 codes you are getting are the O2's after the cats. It could be an indication that you cats are going bad or the sensors are bad. The important sensors are the ones before the cats and you are not getting any codes on those. Those codes could also be coming up because of the air stuff

I will check the fuse for the air pump first , if it is blown replace it. Clear codes and run the car again. If the fuse is not blown clear codes and see if all of them come back. If you get codes after you clear and are the same then remove the AIR valves and clean them with throttle body or carburetor cleaner and reinstall them. clear codes and run the car again.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 05-14-2013 at 05:52 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Did you just got the car and the check engine light was on? Is the emission stuff present on the car?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

As Jay mentioned, inspect to see if the parts are currently on the car. It's possible they were removed and never tuned out. As for the handheld tuner, they really aren't worth much. Many times they cause more issues. A mail order tune from Frost, or an actual dyno tune is way better.

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

thank you for the info guys.

I have not bought the car yet. I went to look at it and he advertised it as being like new low miles and no problems. The check engine lite is on and he has not had it emission tested in 7 years. Never gave it a tune up. Seems to run pretty decent but doesn't shift down low enough when you floor it. Also pings a little at the higher rpms.

I was going to buy this for my daughter to drive for a while, then when I got her car done (68 Camaro) I would trade her back. $7000 was down from $8000. But that still seems to high to me with the problems. Both door panels are cracked. Has a few other issues but over all isn't all that bad. Except for the engine codes. I don't know if the smog stuff is there or not. I had looked at the engine and didn't notice anything missing. I just don't want to spend a fortune to have it fixed.

I am in the mountain west so I figure it is fed. emissions.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER View Post
    thank you for the info guys.

I have not bought the car yet. I went to look at it and he advertised it as being like new low miles and no problems. The check engine lite is on and he has not had it emission tested in 7 years. Never gave it a tune up. Seems to run pretty decent but doesn't shift down low enough when you floor it. Also pings a little at the higher rpms.

I was going to buy this for my daughter to drive for a while, then when I got her car done (68 Camaro) I would trade her back. $7000 was down from $8000. But that still seems to high to me with the problems. Both door panels are cracked. Has a few other issues but over all isn't all that bad. Except for the engine codes. I don't know if the smog stuff is there or not. I had looked at the engine and didn't notice anything missing. I just don't want to spend a fortune to have it fixed.

I am in the mountain west so I figure it is fed. emissions.
    Ok I see now. Well if you live in CA you will need to get the smog stuff fixed or it will not pass inspection but you know more about that stuff than me since you live there. The smog stuff could be expensive specially if it has been removed and/or is the air pump is bad. It can be fixed but is not easy to find the parts. It could be just as simple as the fuse was removed but is hard to tell without having the car in front of us. If you can negociate a lower price maybe you can then come even with the price at the end. How sure are you about those are the codes? Did you read them yourself or the dealer just told you? I will not be trusting those codes if they just told you. The not shifting down could be alot of things so i will probably be cautious there. The pinning could be normal or not again it depends on how the car has been maintain. These cars will pin a little bit if you put anything lower than 93 octane gasoline in them.

I will be careful about all these things you mention. If anything keep looking for another vehicle maybe this is not the one. If I didn't had the knowledge I have now back when I bought mine I will probably say I will pass on this one. If you are pretty confident on your knowledge with these F Bodies then you will know what to fix.

I'm not trying to steer you of from getting the car but just be careful you don't end up putting alot of money fixing something you didn't knew about or something goes wrong a month after.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Did you just got the car and the check engine light was on? Is the emission stuff present on the car?
    i guess I need to pay more attention to the titles...

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

Jay, your help was much appreciated! I decided to pass on the car for now.
    Thanks again for your input!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER View Post
    Jay, your help was much appreciated! I decided to pass on the car for now.
    Thanks again for your input!
    No problem. Sorry it didn't worked out. You will find the right one

Thread Information