metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Trouble Code P0440 EVAP ? ? ?

Service Engine Soon lit up on my 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT (3.8).
    Scanned at AutoZone and showed P0440 evap code.
    I had replaced the gas cap previously when wife was driving this car a couple years ago and AZ told her that was cause.
    I had to replace the sender for the fuel gage a year or so ago too.
    Those are the only 2 things in the evap/fuel system that I have ever had to play with.
    Planing on another new cap, and taking a peak at the top of the gas tank to make sure all the lines are still snapped into place.
    Hoping one or the other of those will be the fix...BUT...
    when we had trouble with this before it got chased for a while.
    Gas cap fixed for a bit, the SES light again.
    New codes. Tried MAF sensor, replaced both O2 Sensors, and finally installed a MagnaFlow catalytic convertor before keeping the light off. That was 7 months ago.
    I have read a lot about these cheap convertors only lasting a short time. As soon as I saw the light, I was fearing that was the issue. Surprised when the AZ scan showed different.
    Well, I am wondering now if this is the beginning of the end for the convertor, or un-related.
    Anyone know of common EVAP troubles besides the gas caps?
    Any other ideas, guesses, any help or suggestions? ? ?
    APPRECIATE whatever you might tell. Thanks! ! !

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

another...?

While I am on this quest for knowledge (again, Thanks)
    The throttle on this car...
    When first getting in, starting up, then the very first time you step on the accelerator, it STICKS. You have to give it a good kick, then it is fine until parked or set again for 6-8-10 hours. I have tried spraying a few different lubricants on the throttle linkage and that only seems to make it slightly better for a short time.
    Any known issues with the throttle blade, it's bushings, or any parts of the linkage assembly??
    I have tried shooting stuff down into the cable ends and anything else I can think of...APPRECIATE any other ideas.
    Thanks!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

your evap code will be unrelated to your cats....if it's not the gas cap it could be a leaking cannister or hose. You can get the system smoked and that will tell you where it's leaking at.

Sometimes a cable is just shot and spraying lubricant into the ends won't help. One other thing you could check is the blade itself. I had that issue on my last truck from time to time. Carbon would build up around the blade area of the throttle body causing the blade itself to stick. I would periodically clean the throttle body real good making sure to open the blade and clean where the blade rests.

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Glad to hear that.
    Hoping that the S.E.S. light didn't mean I had to F' with the convertor again.
    I did hear about the "smoking" previously. I will look into finding a place to have that done locally if cap or something easy doesn't fix it! THANKS
    I will also crack open the air intake hose and peak at the blade. Can't say as I have ever looked down the throat of it in it's 168,000 miles. ALSO APPRECIATED!!!!

1998 TA

I also have a gp and ses light for evap. I replace the purge sylinoid and it fixed it for a while. Now its back. I have delt with the evap trouble before and there not fun. Especially if you have a vaccum leak which I thnk I do. It can be damn near impossible to track down without a smoke test

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Tonight I tried cleaning the cap's sealing surfaces and the filler neck. Winter is just ending and yesterday was only the 2nd time I washed the poor car all winter.
    I thought I would try and see if there was anything obvious underhood, and look at the throttle.
    As I looked at the EVAC service port and intake mounted switch/solenoid (? I am guessing that what it is-2 vac. lines and electical connection) I see a hard plastic tube that draws from the throttle body is not real secure. There are 2 "hoses" (hard plastic) drawing from throttle body inlet and leading to the EVAC switch. The larger of the two had the end snapped off 6-8 years ago. There's a rubber "boot" that takes a 3/8" spigot and hooks a 1/4" and 1/8" hose to it. Way back when I super glued the broken end of the larger tube into the rubber part. That seemed like a real possible leak. The rubber was pretty dry and crusty. A little more super glue for now. Tribute to it's recently deceased creator, don't know how I would ever get along without that stuff. We'll see if that helps. I unhooked the neg. terminal and will let it sit over night. It took a trip to work and back to turn the light on earlier, FINGERS CROSSED.
    Looking at the sticky throttle, it doesn't look too much like any part of the linkage when I operate it bt hand. I am guessing that I may see something when I get at the blade. Maybe in the next few days. Looks like 3 nuts holding that on??

THANKS again!!! Will share whatever I find...

like it or not!

Seriously THANKS!!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Pull the throttle body and clean the carbon off it. Thats 99.99% of the time the sticky gas pedal feel on those GPs.
    P0440 is nearly always a loose gas cap. but it could be a bad line. But it'd have to be a big leak for P0440 to set. Take some pics of that EVAP line and solenoid you were describing. Maybe I'll see something I can point out to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

one way I used to check that throttle body on my truck if I thought it was getting due up for a cleaning is I'd take my hand (engine off of course) and open the throttle all the way open and then let it slam shut. Then I'd slowly try to open it and you could feel if it was sticking. Not sure if that'll help you or even what your issue is but just some FYI.

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Found a couple pics online showing what I was glueing up last night. My fancy "paint" graphics pointing to what I am trying to describe. The larger of the two hoses is shorter now. The two sealing ridges are gone and it is just stuff in closer to the bend in the line.

[IMG][/IMG]

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

Doesn't look like that was it
    So I bought and installed another gas cap last night after the SES lit again
    I see a schrader valve service fitting on the lines where they head to the EVAC switch/solenoid mounted on the intake. Wondering about pushing a few PSI through there. When I pulled the gas cap last night, it's bottom was wet with fuel and there is only about 1/4 tank in the car. Started wondering if it had gotten over filled and the EVAC system "sucked " liquid in....?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    Doesn't look like that was it
    So I bought and installed another gas cap last night after the SES lit again
    I see a schrader valve service fitting on the lines where they head to the EVAC switch/solenoid mounted on the intake. Wondering about pushing a few PSI through there. When I pulled the gas cap last night, it's bottom was wet with fuel and there is only about 1/4 tank in the car. Started wondering if it had gotten over filled and the EVAC system "sucked " liquid in....?
    No, the EVAP system would not be able to suck liquid fuel.

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

I got a new cap on tight now, but I have not un hooked the battery again and "reset".
    Two trips to work, and one home-180 miles total. Still have the SES light.
    I haven't looked at the fuel tank hook up yet, but no other obvious leaky spots.
    Wondering if the lil' switch/solenoid ever goes bad? The one mounted on the intake that hooks up to the hoses I found the suspect connection on earlier...?
    Would anything get wrecked/harmed if I was to blow 2,3,4 psi through the "service fitting" and try using that for leak detection?
    OR...is there a chance the code/light needs to be "reset" by my un hooking the battery again and I would be fine, OR does it clear itself when things are proper and fixed??
    THANKS for everything!!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It'll clear itself eventually if you fixed it. It may take a week or two of driving though. Its easier to just use a code reader to clear the trouble codes.

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

THANKS for that too.
    I was thinking it might only take a trip or two.
    Fingers crossed!!

metallic burgandy
    '00Pont Grand PrixGT

KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!
    Seems like the latest new gas cap fixed it.

THANKS for all the tips!

Thread Information