Gray
    1989 Pontiac

Transmission Question

I have a 1989 Pontiac 6000 SE with a 2.8L V6 MPFI. The check engine light has never lit up and it is working and using my handy dandy code reader it doesn't register a problem but I am having a problem with my TH440T4 (4T60E) transaxle. It started acting up between 40-45 mph acting like it was slipping or lugging and seemed to do it either exellerating or dropping in speed and every once in awhile, not every time, it will die when coming to a stop. I don't know how to explain it other than it surges like the engine is reving then decelorating and the tach registers a drop or increase of about 200 rpms with no noticeable change in speed. It constantly does it on about a 5 to 10 sec interval and yet downshifts hard when I floor the accellerator sort of acting like it is starving for gas. I disconnected the lockup solenoid and the problem quits, should I replace the solenoid or does anyone have another possible cause for this. I replaced the plugs, wires, coils, drained and replaced the filter in the transmission and did the same for the engine oil. Also changed the IAC, TPS, MAP, oil sending unit and oxygen sensor, replaced the gaskets under the intake plenim and pulled all my hair out. Another problem and I don't know if it is related but my charge gauge moves in sequence with my blinkers and I don't know if that is normal either. Heeeeelp

Camaro

It could be the solenoid or the torque converter that's giving you the problem. Replace the solenoid first and see if that solves the problem.

Gray
    1989 Pontiac

Thanks LS I will do that tomorrow and let you know how it worked out.

Thread Information