White
    1998 Camaro SS

transmission, computer or Rear End?

i got a stock automatic on a 98 ss it over revs and then shifts after over revin only when i manual shift the gears. it has a shift kit installed in the tranny but at times the shifting isnt as firm or quik as it should be with a shift kit. I was told it could be in the computer but the tranny shifts good in drive but still dont have that firm shift at times. i was also wondering if it could be in the rear end. sometimes i hear a scrubbing sound when turning sharp in reverse. could someone please give me some info on this situation if available?
    thanks

Ray Charles blue

Not trying to be a jerk but do something for the people on here. Make a single paragraph about each problem. Explain when it happens, any feeling or sounds, and how your car reacts. If you do this you will probably be able to get some better feed back.

White
    1998 Camaro SS

ok thanks
    I got an automatic tranny with a shift kit in a 1998 SS camaro. The problem im having is over revin. I done a lil street racing by manually shifting the gears and going into second it over revs and then shifts. It only does it when i manually shift.
    On cold start the shifting isnt as firm as it should be with a shift kit. OD usually dont kick in until a few miles or seems like once fluid heats up. Theres times it shifts good and hard and sometimes it shifts like a stock tranny w/o shift kit.
    One thing i am feeling in the car is like there is some resistance. Not much but you can feel it. Right before it shifts into third you can feel a strong pull like it gets a lil boost. It also feels like there is not much power throughout the rpm range. I hope im explaining this good enought to get some good feedback.
    I was told by one mechanic that thinks there isnt a problem with the tranny, he thinks its in the computer bcause its over revin. Im had this car for like two years and i can tell the change in power and pull in the car from time i first bought. The tranny has been rebuilt prior to me purchasin the car.

White
    1998 Trans Am

You can program the shift points, but you have to leave it in drive or OD... If you upgrade to the full manual shift kit, then it would shift manually, but then, you would have to shift it all the time.
    So, sounds normal...

White
    1998 Camaro SS

ok that sounds to b the problem with over revin what do you think could be the problem with long shifts and not firm and quick?

White
    1998 Trans Am

I think you need it tuned. The ecm has a lot of perimeters for the transmission. If you plan on any other upgrades, do them before a tune.

White
    1998 Camaro SS

ok i tried finding a programmer for a 98 ls1. I couldnt find any. Do you have any suggestions?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It is better to allow the 4L60E to shift itself. I noticed right away on our car that the 2-3 manual shift would result in the engine continuing to rev a few hundred rpm higher before the shift actually occurred. There is an old thread on that somewhere around here.

Since the trans has already been worked on -- it's hard to tell what the issue is. It could simply be starting to wear out. The stock trans is not a very robust unit. Have you changed the fluid and filter lately?

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by camaross9810 View Post
    rear end...scrubbing sound when turning sharp in reverse
    Scrubbing noise may be the clutch pack. Usually the noise is normal, unless on a water burn out one wheel really out-spins the other; if that happens the pack may be shot. Old school maintenance used to include driving several tight circles one way then the other to help drive lube up into the pack.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Frost could do a mail tune... But your car will be down until you get the ecm back...

White
    1998 Camaro SS

no i havent changed the fluid and filter. The tranny probably got 50,000 on the rebuild. I thought about doing that because when i check the fluid, ill clean the stick and sum black residue will be on rag. Fluid isnt burnt or smell burnt. How long does a mail order tune usually take?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by camaross9810 View Post
    no i havent changed the fluid and filter. The tranny probably got 50,000 on the rebuild. I thought about doing that because when i check the fluid, ill clean the stick and sum black residue will be on rag. Fluid isnt burnt or smell burnt. How long does a mail order tune usually take?
    Step One: Change the fluid and filter.

Mail order is a couple of days usually. I think mine was down and back in four. You can also do a swap for just a bit more -- I think he sends you one and charges a core until he receives your PCM. That means no down time except the few minutes it takes to change it out.

White
    1998 Camaro SS

Ok cool. Thanks. Ill try that.

Thread Information