Thread: Tranny Cooler

Blue
    1985 S10 Pickup

Tranny Cooler

Hi Guys, I'm back again with another question about oil coolers, this time tranny coolers. Can you subsititute a heat sink cooler for a radiator tranny cooler set up and still maintain a safe tranny oil temp. I thought maybe I could squeeze one in under the frame near the tranny and run short braided lines to it. Does it have to be in the air flow or can it be tucked up in the frame rail out of harms way ( I know air flow would be restricted) and may affect cooling, but once again I want to avoid cooler lines.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The lower overall area of the cooler will limit its ability to disburse heat and that is just as important as its location. In an enclosed area the heat sink will have little or no outside air to cool the oil. Just get a B&M trans oil cooler from Jegs or Summit and fit it somewhere in front of the A/C condenser and you will be a happy camper.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Blue
    1985 S10 Pickup

HI 2002lp, thank you for the reply. I know there would be issues if I mounted a heat sink cooler the vehicle, so maybe I'll scrap that idea and go with the B&M trans cooler and that I know will work. I just have to figure out a way to neatly run -AN lines up front to the cooler. Thanks again and have a good day.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I opted for a tube and fin trans cooler on our car. With the slant of the radiator, I felt that the stacked plate design would hinder airflow through the radiator as it is drawn in from up under the car.

Blue
    1985 S10 Pickup

Hi pajeff02, thank you for the reply, I didn't what to mount it up front for appearance reasons and it may restrict air flow for the radiator, but I know you are right and I will have to mount the tranny cooler up front to cool the tranny oil properly. I prefer steel lines, but it's going to be difficult to bend them for a neat appearance and am leary of running rubber hoses from the tranny forward. Do you think a Russell style braided hose would work or is the oil too hot and break down the hoses eventually?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by WebKruzer View Post
    Hi pajeff02, thank you for the reply, I didn't what to mount it up front for appearance reasons and it may restrict air flow for the radiator, but I know you are right and I will have to mount the tranny cooler up front to cool the tranny oil properly. I prefer steel lines, but it's going to be difficult to bend them for a neat appearance and am leary of running rubber hoses from the tranny forward. Do you think a Russell style braided hose would work or is the oil too hot and break down the hoses eventually?
    The reason car manufactures mount the radiator and A/C condenser up front is for airflow. You can't argue with over 100 years of success. lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run this cooler in tandem with the one that is integral to the radiator. Hose runs are fairly short and I have had zero issues. I did have to cut an opening in the plastic baffle on the passenger side to run the hoses. As you can see in the pic, I also installed a section of heater hose on top of the cooler hose to add an extra level of protection.

Blue
    1985 S10 Pickup

Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I run this cooler in tandem with the one that is integral to the radiator. Hose runs are fairly short and I have had zero issues. I did have to cut an opening in the plastic baffle on the passenger side to run the hoses. As you can see in the pic, I also installed a section of heater hose on top of the cooler hose to add an extra level of protection.
    Hi pajeff02, I have that same setup on my daily driver Silverado for several years because I tow a boat and had no problems. I'll probably run the lines up and put the cooler in front like you say. The hoses will be longer and I must be careful in the routing to clear exhaust and any moving parts. Thanks again and have a good day.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just for clarification - the lines from the transmission to the radiator are steel. I only have rubber lines making the connections between the steel lines and radiator. I would just bend up some lines and run steel to be on the safe side.

Blue
    1985 S10 Pickup

Hi pajeff02, Thank you again for the reply. I don't like to have anymore rubber than I have to for the cooler lines, but rubbber would of been so much easier, but not near as durable, I was just trying to take a shortcut. Sometimes shortcuts backfire and cause more trouble in the long run, so I will use steel lines from the tranny up to the cooler and the use the least amount of rubber as possible and do it the right way. I want to make it look as neat as possible and I don't know how tubing I will use before I get it right. I will feel a lot safer with steel because if the rubber hose ruptured while driving by the time you felt it your tranny could be gone. Thanks again and have a nice day.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's not a bad job - I would recommend the coated brake line (stainless is better, but is a touch more difficult to work with). A simple hand bender (few bucks at the parts store) and a bubble flare (borrow a flaring tool from a friend or rent one) on any ends that will have a hose and clamp connection is recommended.

This is a flare I recently did on the fuel line for my wife's '70 Camaro:

Blue
    1985 S10 Pickup

Cooler lines

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It's not a bad job - I would recommend the coated brake line (stainless is better, but is a touch more difficult to work with). A simple hand bender (few bucks at the parts store) and a bubble flare (borrow a flaring tool from a friend or rent one) on any ends that will have a hose and clamp connection is recommended.

This is a flare I recently did on the fuel line for my wife's '70 Camaro:

Click for full size

Click for full size

Blue
    1985 S10 Pickup

Hi pajeff02, the brake line deal sounds like a great idea, it's cheap and fairly easy to work with, that sounds like a plan. Thanks again.

Thread Information