Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Traction... Whats that? Never heard of it

So its pretty common knowledge that I am a performance car noob. I've always just had average used cars and never really knew much about them. Always wanted a real performance car so I got an 01 TA. I know most of the basics i've always changed my own oil done minor maintenance like rotate tires replace stuff i had an instruction manual or online walkthrough on how to replace.

Im really having a hard time getting any traction on my car, It had a lot of work done to it when I bought it and I'm not entirely sure what all its had. What I am fairly certain of is that it was lowered I took some pics and posted them here before and asked everyone seemed to agree that it had been in fact lowered. What I dont know is if when whoever lowered it did so if they made correct adjustments to the suspension, as I assume that pretty important, like new shocks and such.

Ive got khumo tires on it now that came when i got the car and they dont hook worth a damn. They are the Ecsta supra tire that they dont make anymore on stock rims. They still have good tread on them because once i start smoking them every time i get on them i just let off and roll off like a grandpa.

I often wonder if the problem is with the suspension rather than the tire. Could be completely wrong with both. Where would be a good place to start? If i get some pics would that help? I could lift the car and get some underbody pics if necessary. I really just need some help on where to get started because I'm getting blown away by civics because I cant go anywhere. I can just smoke the tires at 70mph if i floor it.

BTW its an auto not a manual.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

How about...dont floor it!
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

black
    2002 WS6

I would start with your right foot, sounds like it's kinda heavy to me. Its not the tires, you, actually have to know how to drive these cars. IS your car an auto or a stick?

The only tire that realy sticks any is a drag radial and those are no good for daily driving. You want to hook? roll into instead of mashing on the gas and don't go 100% open right away.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could be the firmer suspension causing the tires to break loose. All the weight on the rear will cause the rear tires to get loose.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

I realize that you cant just go wide open all at once was speaking of cruising at 70 only... however it slips if you even get on it a little.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Do you know if you have the stock converter?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Might need LCA relocation brackets put on... With the car on the ground, look at the rear control arms. The front should be upwards towards the motor. If the are down towards the bottom of the front tires, that could be it... Check out the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...QQcmdZViewItem

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Start taking pictures underneath the car, if you want beeter traction lowercontrol arms and relocation brackets are a good start followed by a panhard rod. Take a picture of all those areas and if they are aftermarket hopefully we can tell you what brand they are so for instance you know what rear springs you have.

Sounds like you have an iron foot, my car has all the bolt-ons and 50hp extra over stock, and I can't spin the tires at 70mph (i'm an a4 just like you). I don't think I have ever spun the tires at 50mph in 2nd racing soemone. Do you have a stall in that thing?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Great link bill i'll definately check that out tomarrow... I do notice there is a particular bridge in my area that is on a slight corner and has a very miniscule bump and every time i go around it i think im going to lose my car into the rail because the whole damn car feels like it jumps 6 inches every time i hit the little bump.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by SilentTrouble View Post
    I realize that you cant just go wide open all at once was speaking of cruising at 70 only... however it slips if you even get on it a little.
    That sounds pretty rediculous did you feel if the tires are bad (hard, stale)

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

It does have a stall.. not sure what kind or what RPM. Its got a huge cam in it as well. HUGE! Not sure on the size of it either.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Im gunna snap some pictures tomarrow and come back with an array of info rather than shooting in the dark all night

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by SilentTrouble View Post
    It does have a stall.. not sure what kind or what RPM. Its got a huge cam in it as well. HUGE! Not sure on the size of it either.
    Are you kidding me why didn't you mention that before?
    When you goose it what rpm does it jump to that should give you a vague idea, and go to a dyno day spend $50 and find your hp.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Another thing what are the tire specs?

White
    1998 Trans Am

If you're cammed & stalled, you need something better than Khumos too....

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Might need wider rear tires....and stickier than Kumhos.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....CSTA+Supra+712

275/40/17 if im not mistaken
    I believe thats the tire im using at least i know for sure its the tread design

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Well... Id love to go to a dyno day... id love to know the full specs of my output. They don't have them around here that i know of or at least i dont know where to look. I live in Terre haute indiana which is on the border of IN/IL halfway between kentucky and chicago =/

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

so I take it your wheels are either 9" or 9.5" 275 tires are usually used for 9.5" wide wheels if they are you can go up to 295's safely. If you are serious get some michellins, bf goodrichs or some nitto 555r's
    the 555r's are a street legal drag radial which will help alot w/ tire spin, anything more and the rearend is going bye bye.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

what do you mean rear end is going bye bye? I only ask because i just had a bearing go bye bye... and i dont mean a little chipped and divoted i mean EPIC fail, all of the rollers were gone and a huge pile of metal in the rear end... Had it fixed professionally new bearings and then 5k miles and new bearings again to make sure there wasn't more serious issues there all checked out fine though thankfully... or did you just mean rear end bye bye as in no car control
    Last edited by SilentTrouble; 03-15-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Thread Information