BlacK
    2001 WS6

Torquing the lug nuts

Does anyone know the ft. lbs. for the lug nuts on my car?

Also, if you shove the lug nut key into a 3/4" socket then put in on a torque wrench...will you get a wrong reading or is that ok?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

pretty sure the torque is 100 ft-lbs.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

You would be fine doing that.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

i do 90ft/lbs, never have had an issue...

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

100lbs is ok. Just do it in 2 steps and make sure you do it in a star pattern.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

if you have an impact gun invest in something called a torque stick. its a socket with a tapered shaft that automatically torques the lugnuts to a determined ft/lbs depending on what torque stick you buy. general rule of thumb is to torque to 80-100 ft lbs.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    if you have an impact gun invest in something called a torque stick. its a socket with a tapered shaft that automatically torques the lugnuts to a determined ft/lbs depending on what torque stick you buy. general rule of thumb is to torque to 80-100 ft lbs.
    Thanks, never heard of those, I really appreciate that 'cause I just picked up an impact gun, it's cordless and not overly powerful, I figured it would be ok to use on tires.

Look she's holdin' my stick!

http://www.torquestick.com/?gclid=CN...FQ0pgAod_3pUOA

By the way...how does that thing work? It starts to spin free or sumthin when it hits it's specified torque setting?
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 08-23-2007 at 12:36 AM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

No it flexes. Some don't like to use them due to different air pressures and impact power levels. But they are better than nothing if you must use a impact.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    No it flexes. Some don't like to use them due to different air pressures and impact power levels. But they are better than nothing if you must use a impact.
    It flexes? splain please.

It looks like a solid piece.

What do you mean by air pressures and power levels, I thought this thing cuts off at a predetermined built in torque regardless of how much force is coming from the gun or whether or not it's powered by air or electric and their inherent strength levels...do I have that wrong???

In other words say I have an impact gun rated at a max of 475 ft. lbs. and a torque stick rated at 110, if the gun was set to "stun" at it's max setting, this torque stick would stop the nut from being fastened beyond 110 ft. lbs. correct? or no?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

They are a solid piece but there designed to twist ever so slightly at a predetermined setting so it sets the torque. They are a nice feature to have but you have to make sure you get good quality ones that have a closer setting to specs. I've always heard that a good stick will get you to within 10 ft.-lbs of your desired torque

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by thecorrectformula View Post
    They are a solid piece but there designed to twist ever so slightly at a predetermined setting so it sets the torque. They are a nice feature to have but you have to make sure you get good quality ones that have a closer setting to specs. I've always heard that a good stick will get you to within 10 ft.-lbs of your desired torque
    correct. i love my torque sticks. i work on cars for a living and it makes reinstalling wheels so quick and easy, and i dont worry about whether or not something was torqued on unevenly. no failures ever. never had a single problem. i use them every single day.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

correct. i love my torque sticks. i work on cars for a living and it makes reinstalling wheels so quick and easy, and i dont worry about whether or not something was torqued on unevenly. no failures ever. never had a single problem. i use them every single day.
    Is there a brand you recommend?
    Also what is the indication that you see/feel? to let you know to let go of the trigger? or does it not matter and you could hold the trigger all day and it would not go over specified torque? Trying to get an idea of how it actually works.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    Is there a brand you recommend?
    Also what is the indication that you see/feel? to let you know to let go of the trigger? or does it not matter and you could hold the trigger all day and it would not go over specified torque? Trying to get an idea of how it actually works.
    the brand i have is called accu-torq. you stop basically when the wheel lug stops and you can hear a noise in the torq stick. you can hold the trigger for a lil but i dont recommend jus holding it for an extended period of time. trust me, if you get one and you use it you'll know when to stop pullin the trigger

BlacK
    2001 WS6

the brand i have is called accu-torq. you stop basically when the wheel lug stops and you can hear a noise in the torq stick. you can hold the trigger for a lil but i dont recommend jus holding it for an extended period of time. trust me, if you get one and you use it you'll know when to stop pullin the trigger
    Cool thanks, definitely going to get one of these.

You think one rated for 110 is ok, if I go with non-locking lug nuts?

Forget that, looks like AccuTorq only makes up to a 100 in 19mm, that should be good I guess.
    There was a video on the site I found these on, now I see how it works, the shaft begins to twist once the nut has reached the torque setting...cool beans.
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 08-25-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Thread Information