Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Torque Converter made my car slower!!!!

This is a discussion on Torque Converter made my car slower!!!! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If it makes you feel any better Steve, I run a 36-3800 Coan converter in my chevelle (400 turbo) No ...

  1. #21
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    If it makes you feel any better Steve, I run a 36-3800 Coan converter in my chevelle (400 turbo) No overdrive, No lockup. It'll flash to 4,000 if I get antsy with the throttle.

    Basically I'm driving around town "IN" the converter all the time. I cruise highway rpms around 3,000 and any goosing of the throttle flashes the converter up ( climbing hills or grades etc....)
    It has had absolutely no affect on tranny life. As a matter of fact the last 400 turbo was in there since 87. I just built another one for it about 4 years ago.

  2. #22
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I agree, however does it stay unlocked @ speeds 60 mph +, and if so, how much damage does it do when exceeding just say 90 mph?

    I would think it would generate tremendous amounts of heat, trans cooler or not.

    SteveC
    yes....it will unlock ~100mph I believe unless you're over 80% throttle in which case it's not locked no matter what the speed.

  3. #23
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Ok

    So I emailed Dave at Yank he does stand behind his product I can tell you that and he is saying that I should of pulled away from the guy

    He gave me a choice pull out the TC and he will open it and look at it fix it send it back to me or I can buy another one and send my old one back and when he receives it he will credit me for the converter

    I can't imagine anyone in the business giving better service and support than Dave at Yank incredible!!!!!
    He wants his converters to be one of the best and I am going through everything now to make sure it's not anything else that causes the difference but if a TC robs 20hp from the car how can it be faster just because of the rpm increase on take off what???

    If it doesn't do anything after 43mph and would actually rob power and make the car slower that's a shame how many times do we drive 45mph and someone pulls besides you and just push on it until 80mph and bring it back down to speed limit If it's slower I don't care much for that when I pass a car I want it to get there very fast!!!! Oh the speed limit here is 70mph on the hgw or 110km/h and we drive 120km/h on cruise and it's tolerated the cops even tell you that they will not stop you at that speed on the hgwy 120km/h is like 75mph or a little more :-)

    In my case my car at 25mph doesn't take off faster than before at 35mph its the same as before at 60mph it's less than before I'll do more testing to make sure I'm not spending money for nothing!!!!!
    Last edited by Durango; 04-25-2011 at 06:36 PM.

  4. #24
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    I have a tune Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Between 60 mph to 110 mph, the TC is a non issue, I am assuming you purchased a "lock up" converter, EVEN WITHOUT A TUNE the converter should be locked in a 1:1 ratio with the transmission.

    I have a old Y3000 2.2 STR Yank converter, and the seat of the pants difference is when the coverter is "unlocked" once lock up occurs (43 mph for me), it is the same feeling as when I had the stock door stop installed.

    SteveC
    The car has been tuned I had it done by Frost and he says he's done hundreds with my set up so I assume he should know :-)

  5. #25
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I'm perplexed because I've never heard of a converter making a car slower, ever.

    I've raced both stock stalled cars and stalled cars and I will tell you, a stalled car with full bolt-ons whoops on my ass and I run high 12's.

  6. #26
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    I will do my homework

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I'm perplexed because I've never heard of a converter making a car slower, ever.

    I've raced both stock stalled cars and stalled cars and I will tell you, a stalled car with full bolt-ons whoops on my ass and I run high 12's.
    That's what everybody says I have the exact same mods than my buddy has I added a Yan SS3200 and before the converter I was pulling away from him and now I'm not!!!!Plus the seat of your pant feeling is less than before at 60mph I would say 30% less than what it was so something is definately wrong!!! Everyone that install a Stall tell me it's insane and that the rpm's stay up when the tranny shifts mine is no different than stock!!!!

    I think I will take Dave up on his offer and just get one shipped down pay for it and send him my old one for a credit that way there is no question
    If the second converter makes a huge difference then I will know that it was just my bad luck to get a bad converter but if it's the same then maybe It's the tranny but the car worked amazingly well before the TC and it has 35 000 miles bought from a guy that absolutely never abused it

    The guy was a computer genius and bought this car because he liked the look. He knew nothing about cars and drove it on weekends with his girlfriend at speed limit "1 in a million that has these cars I tell you" The mechanics at the dealership were telling me the stories about this guy just not a car guy just someone that made a lot of money and liked the look and driving with T Top off so I can't imagine the tranny having an issue !!!
    Last edited by Durango; 04-25-2011 at 06:56 PM.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Z28Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, Ok
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,542

    Arctic White
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    So I emailed Dave at Yank he does stand behind his product I can tell you that and he is saying that I should of pulled away from the guy

    He gave me a choice pull out the TC and he will open it and look at it fix it send it back to me or I can buy another one and send my old one back and when he receives it he will credit me for the converter

    I can't imagine anyone in the business giving better service and support than Dave at Yank incredible!!!!!
    He wants his converters to be one of the best and I am going through everything now to make sure it's not anything else that causes the difference but if a TC robs 20hp from the car how can it be faster just because of the rpm increase on take off what???

    If it doesn't do anything after 43mph and would actually rob power and make the car slower that's a shame how many times do we drive 45mph and someone pulls besides you and just push on it until 80mph and bring it back down to speed limit If it's slower I don't care much for that when I pass a car I want it to get there very fast!!!! Oh the speed limit here is 70mph on the hgw or 110km/h and we drive 120km/h on cruise and it's tolerated the cops even tell you that they will not stop you at that speed on the hgwy 120km/h is like 75mph or a little more :-)

    In my case my car at 25mph doesn't take off faster than before at 35mph its the same as before at 60mph it's less than before I'll do more testing to make sure I'm not spending money for nothing!!!!!
    I am glad to see Yank service is great again. The problems I watched some have with Yank. And the customer service issues back in the day were bad. I can say I had some issues with my TCI, and they treated me as well as Dave is treating you. Heck they paid for shipping both ways.

    Like many have said I wonder if the converter is locking back up once flashed. Again to me it seems like your slipping. If it is not locking once flashed then I could see it slip. Something is just not right period. As all have stated there should be a night and day difference from the stock converter. I hope you get it all worked out.

  8. #28
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    At 60 mph

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I'm perplexed because I've never heard of a converter making a car slower, ever.

    I've raced both stock stalled cars and stalled cars and I will tell you, a stalled car with full bolt-ons whoops on my ass and I run high 12's.
    At approximately 60mph there is a sweet spot on our cars right 1 at about 30-35mph depending if you have 2:73's or 3:23 gears and 1 at around 60mph when you hit the gas it feels like someone just kicked you in the ass and you are gone

    Whe you installed your TC did that feeling increase at 60mph did you say holy shit man this is freaking noticeable or did you say wow that doesn;t hit as hard than it did ???? Because in my case it's not dead but before the TC the ass would squat and she was gone now it rev's but doesn't seem to hit hard at all it's still good but in no way is it any faster like I said I don't pull away from my buddy anymore :-(

  9. #29
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    I hope so too

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I am glad to see Yank service is great again. The problems I watched some have with Yank. And the customer service issues back in the day were bad. I can say I had some issues with my TCI, and they treated me as well as Dave is treating you. Heck they paid for shipping both ways.

    Like many have said I wonder if the converter is locking back up once flashed. Again to me it seems like your slipping. If it is not locking once flashed then I could see it slip. Something is just not right period. As all have stated there should be a night and day difference from the stock converter. I hope you get it all worked out.
    Yes it feels like it's slipping exactly no he is not paying for shipping and shiiping for me is 150 bucks so ishh it will cost me probably another 500 to 600 before this is solved :-(((((((((((((((((

  10. #30
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    At approximately 60mph there is a sweet spot on our cars right 1 at about 30-35mph depending if you have 2:73's or 3:23 gears and 1 at around 60mph when you hit the gas it feels like someone just kicked you in the ass and you are gone

    Whe you installed your TC did that feeling increase at 60mph did you say holy shit man this is freaking noticeable or did you say wow that doesn;t hit as hard than it did ???? Because in my case it's not dead but before the TC the ass would squat and she was gone now it rev's but doesn't seem to hit hard at all it's still good but in no way is it any faster like I said I don't pull away from my buddy anymore :-(
    I'm a M6 All I'm saying is, something is wrong.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Z28Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, Ok
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,542

    Arctic White
    2000 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    That's what everybody says I have the exact same mods than my buddy has I added a Yan SS3200 and before the converter I was pulling away from him and now I'm not!!!!Plus the seat of your pant feeling is less than before at 60mph I would say 30% less than what it was so something is definately wrong!!! Everyone that install a Stall tell me it's insane and that the rpm's stay up when the tranny shifts mine is no different than stock!!!!

    I think I will take Dave up on his offer and just get one shipped down pay for it and send him my old one for a credit that way there is no question
    If the second converter makes a huge difference then I will know that it was just my bad luck to get a bad converter but if it's the same then maybe It's the tranny but the car worked amazingly well before the TC and it has 35 000 miles bought from a guy that absolutely never abused it

    The guy was a computer genius and bought this car because he liked the look. He knew nothing about cars and drove it on weekends with his girlfriend at speed limit "1 in a million that has these cars I tell you" The mechanics at the dealership were telling me the stories about this guy just not a car guy just someone that made a lot of money and liked the look and driving with T Top off so I can't imagine the tranny having an issue !!!

    I will tell you about the problem I had with my TCI. I went from a 3500 to 4000. I shipped my converter to TCI and got it back about 2 weeks later. I was frustrated because I got it back the weekend of the GM vs Ford event at the local track. Qualification started Saturday morning and I got the converter around 5 pm Friday. It went in with no issues and I was out testing it around 7 pm. I drove around the neighborhood and it seemed fine. So I drove it 2 miles down the road and went to get on the highway. I got on the on ramp and opened the car up some. I did not go WOT because I was checking things out. After the 2nd to 3rd shift I lost all torque. The rpm's would move but the car would not move. I was not happy I was going to miss the event. TCI sent a pickup tag overnight which I got Monday. It took another week and they did not get that converter right. But that is another story. They did get it fixed at no cost to me.
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 04-25-2011 at 07:17 PM.

  12. #32
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Ah ok

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I will tell you about the problem I had with my TCI. I went from a 3500 to 4000. I shipped my converter to TCI and got it back about 2 weeks later. I was frustrated because I got it back the weekend of the GM vs Ford event at the local track. Qualification started Saturday morning and I got the converter around 5 pm Friday. It went in with no issues and I was out testing it around 7 pm. I drove around the neighborhood and it seemed fine. So I drove it 2 miles down the road and went to get on the highway. I got on the on ramp and opened the car up some. I did not go WOT because I was checking things out. After the 2nd to 3rd shift I lost all torque. The rpm's would move but the car would not move. I was not happy I was going to miss the event. TCI sent a pickup tag overnight which I got Monday. It took another week and they did not get that converter right. But that is another story. They did get it fixed at no cost to me.
    Mine does pull but it doesn't hit as hard as it did and it seems to rev but doesn't go as fast as it did so It might be slipping a little bit It's a good thing that Dave at Yank is a great guy and he will ship me a new converter next week so I should be on the road for the races in May at the same time I am shipping my pcm to steve Frost tuning so everything is perfect x cross my fingers as I am 1 of the guys that organises the Corvette Camaro Firebird Club New Brunswick
    Last edited by Durango; 04-26-2011 at 10:44 AM.

  13. #33
    Member bobbyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    At approximately 60mph there is a sweet spot on our cars right 1 at about 30-35mph depending if you have 2:73's or 3:23 gears and 1 at around 60mph when you hit the gas it feels like someone just kicked you in the ass and you are gone

    Whe you installed your TC did that feeling increase at 60mph did you say holy shit man this is freaking noticeable or did you say wow that doesn;t hit as hard than it did ???? Because in my case it's not dead but before the TC the ass would squat and she was gone now it rev's but doesn't seem to hit hard at all it's still good but in no way is it any faster like I said I don't pull away from my buddy anymore :-(
    do you have a dead spot between 50-60? car feels like it losses power. only happens when not going WOT at those speeds

  14. #34
    Senior Member korndawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    IA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,823

    Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

    Any updates?

  15. #35
    BLKHWK Durango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Age
    47
    Posts
    881

    Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

    Yes I do

    Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Any updates?
    I got my transmission mechanic to check everything over. The tranny works like it should but the clutches in my converter are slipping :-(

    Now I am sending my PCM to Steve at Frost Tuning and he will go very agressive at 100% lock up and shut of the PWM Pulse Width Modulation " the system that lets the tranny slip the clutches a little for a soft shift"

    That will eleiminate any chance of the tune alowing any slippage whatesoever If the problem persist well it's a new converter!!!! I will keep u guys posted I will receive the PCM in 2 weeks If that doesn't work Dave at Yank will send me a new Converter I'll pay for it and when he receives the defective one he will credit my card "if it is in fact defective"

    I have to say that I am impress with the service at Yank even if It will cost me at leat $500 in labour fluid filter and shipping so It is a pain in the behing to spend the extra money for a unit that is slipping but I might get lucky and the tune will solve my issues I sure hope so

    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new lt headers and ory pipe installed, made car slower?
    By jackmajic in forum General Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-14-2011, 05:52 PM
  2. Torque converter
    By American Revolution in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM
  3. Best Torque Converter
    By rockyiv806 in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 01:14 PM
  4. torque converter
    By dneemorelos in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 05:51 AM
  5. Best Torque Converter?
    By Rich L in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-20-2008, 04:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •