Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tornado's really help Camaros?

This is a discussion on Tornado's really help Camaros? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The only thing I ever put on my Z28 that improved mileage was a Fast Toys Ram Air system. +2mpg ...

NBM
    1998Z28

The only thing I ever put on my Z28 that improved mileage was a Fast Toys Ram Air system.
    +2mpg on the interstate running the cruise control.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

honestly i "feel" the car respond better when the engine is cold...and once the engine reaches the 215 and retains it....power goes down prolly by 5 hp...hmm oh well..but prolly the cold air outside will help

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Wouldnt you think when the engine gets hot the air going into the engine gets hotter as well? I would.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Wouldnt you think when the engine gets hot the air going into the engine gets hotter as well? I would.
    The other thing you need to take into consideration is the IAT. It monitors that air temp. at ALL times and makes adjustments due to that temp. it is monitoring.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Well I was talking about my quadrajet carborated 84 HO z28 not my ls1. I have yet to drive my ls1 in the morning cold air. BUT-why do people at drag races with LS1s cool the motor in between runs if it doesnt matter (with fans) and talk about better times when its colder outside?

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

well shit who knows...

hey can you describe the iat ..sounds real interesting

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    Well I was talking about my quadrajet carborated 84 HO z28 not my ls1. I have yet to drive my ls1 in the morning cold air. BUT-why do people at drag races with LS1s cool the motor in between runs if it doesnt matter (with fans) and talk about better times when its colder outside?
    Well if the heads and intake are cooler than you could put more timing in it which would give you more power. The samething with a cool can. By chilling the gas it makes more power due to the intake charge temp being cooler. Now on bottle cars it won't make a difference but we can see et gains with N/A motors and cool cans......
    Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    well shit who knows...

hey can you describe the iat ..sounds real interesting
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h32.pdf

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

thanx

grey
    2001 silverado

cool weather makes a huge difference. thats why people can feel the power up during the winter months. cold isnt ALWAYS good. it mostly depends on the density altitude. factors such as humidity, elevation, dew point etc etc go into the formual. the lower the density altitude the better. there are tons of density altitude calculators online. google it and play with it. i know some guys in trucks see up to a 1/2 second track difference between summer and winter.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Is it possiable to have a DA of -1380.8? That's what I get with the calculator I found.

http://cowtownmopars.com/airdensity.html

My current conditions are below.

42F

Humidity: 65 % Wind Speed: NW 7 MPH Barometer: 30.21" (1024.4 mb) Dewpoint: 31F (-1C) Wind Chill: 38F (3C) Visibility: 10.00 mi.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

uhhh, whats your actual field elevation. above sea level. need that to get a correct DA. This is the calculator I use... http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

I figured it up using my field elevation which is around +1500' and came up with a DA of +469' dam that would be NICE!!! mine is usually around +3000-4000'

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by TACE02 View Post
    uhhh, whats your actual field elevation. above sea level. need that to get a correct DA. This is the calculator I use... http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

I figured it up using my field elevation which is around +1500' and came up with a DA of +469' dam that would be NICE!!! mine is usually around +3000-4000'
    I'm around 1200' here. What am I suppose to use for the altimeter setting? I'm guessing the barometric pressure?

If that's the case according to the calculator I had a DA of 96' that is good!

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

yep, you did it right. 96' above sea level, that is dam good. wish I could see those DAs here.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

To bad it has to be about 40 degree's to get that good though. I do love fall for racing though. It really makes for some good races, but the traction problems come up with the cold weather. Thanks for all the info!

green
    94 z28

About the colder weather...what kind of car, if any difference, is it good for? Would a LT1 gain more than a 4 banger TT set up would?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    About the colder weather...what kind of car, if any difference, is it good for? Would a LT1 gain more than a 4 banger TT set up would?

I'd think it would be proportional to the output of the motor. Every car I drove had a bit better go in the cooler weather.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    Well, I personally thought it was all a lie when I first seen them advertised. I also see on most forums that they don't work, but last Friday someone in my autobody class put one in their s10 pickup. He said it gave him about 2 MPG more. I know he wouldn't lie, also. The thing is, he mostly drives on the highway since it takes him about an hour and a half to get to our college.

So, has anyone tried it on a muscle car or their camaro's? With college and work now I have to drive just about 100 miles a day, so even 1 MPG more would be a little help. I also don't get to even work that much because of college, so saving just a few bucks a week would make it a little easier.

Also, how much MPG do cold air intakes and an exhaust usually give each?

Either way, I can't give up the v-8 for a better fuel economy car. I've tried driving my moms older car that gets about 30-35 MPG but those just aren't fun to drive.
    I can't believe this is actually a thread - let alone has four pages of responses.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I can't believe this is actually a thread - let alone has four pages of responses.
    That's why we started talking about DA's!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ hahahaha!!! I agree with you about every car I have drove seems to have a bit more power in cold weather. Notice the word seems. I use that word because without dyno evidence a certain group of people on ls1.com like to bust your balls.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

D'OH!!! lol I am not one of them though...just thought I would illustrate it for ya.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information